Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #106
Sojourner2005
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Thanks for the wonderful RR and your own unique perspective.
Sojourner2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #107
Comrade Art OP
Working stiff

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner2005 View Post
Thanks for the wonderful RR and your own unique perspective.
Glad you enjoyed it.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #108
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,036
Art Great Ride Report!

While traveling I have not been able to read other ride reports, but in my break I found your thread! So glad I did.

Great insight and info on riding in Vietnam!! Thanks!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #109
Comrade Art OP
Working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Art Great Ride Report!

While traveling I have not been able to read other ride reports, but in my break I found your thread! So glad I did.

Great insight and info on riding in Vietnam!! Thanks!
Thanks Mark. Enjoyed your India narrative and waiting for your next South American installment.
Looks like you've been busy catching up with friends and getting ready for SA, but if you have time give me a buzz and I'll treat you to an authentic Vietnamese coffee

Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #110
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Thanks!

Awesome photos and write up, Comrade Art.
It's always great to see foreigners telling the good things about your Country. Thank you for your nice words.

You are wright, people who have never been to Vietnam would understand about us the other way round from the truth. I have chances to meet with somany people like that. When you named that more than 1000 years we had been occupied by outsiders - means that you can imagine how far is Vietnam behind the world, that's one of reasons why lots of information about Vietnam have been blocked or confined by the outsiders, etc...

Riding in Vietnam, well, that's always a challenge - because of road condition, riding culture, vehicle quality, all kind of supports... etc... Howeve, believe me, it worths evey penny you spend to experience.
Make sure you have detail plan, good bikes, you have good ridding gears, learn to cope with the riding style here, ask anyone on the road if you are not sure, having some phone contacts of local who can understand your language and knowing what you are doing as emergency contacts... That may be many, but not too many. Then you are safe to enjoy your ride.

Here are some language correction for Comrade Art's report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post

Made it to Pleiku around noon and found a room at Pleiku Hotel for $18 US per night. There was a list of hotel regulations posted in our room and you gotta love what rule #4 says, “Do not play games and take the prostitute girl into room”

That should be "No gambling is allowed..." instead of "do not playing games..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
An hour later, Mike’s uncle decides that we should get Nhau on the Cua Tieu River, a tributary of the Mekong Delta. Nhau is what the Vietnamese call ‘party’ food and is the equivalent to happy hour in America.

Nhau - or should be in full as "nhậu" - yes, it's Party / Happy hour - but Party with lots of alcoholic drinks. Food is important too, but if saying "nhau", you can have dozens of beer with very little food, sometimes people drink a lot with just some tiny fish or some fruits only.
When people ask you to go for "nhậu", make sure you are prepared for drinking alcoholic fluid, and of course not a little of them.

Again, thank for great report and hope to see more of you guys travelling Vietnam.

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #111
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 323
Done!

First Nam RR and I sense there will be more to come. I also sense another addition to the bucket list.

Cheers to this RR.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #112
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 833
Thanks for sharing your RR and yes I could relate to your feeling about Nam. I admit that during the 80's when they made many Nam war movies such as Full Metal Jacket (I have it), Platoon, Hamburger Hill, etc. I was obsessed about researching on Nam and my two uncles did their time there (one is dead now as he was the last in his troop to die from cancer that he caught from war with Nam). I still feel the same feeling in 80's but now I would very much like to travel through the Nam.

I have one question- did you had to have a guide with you or were you free to travel on your own with your buddy Mike?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #113
Comrade Art OP
Working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Thanks for sharing your RR and yes I could relate to your feeling about Nam. I admit that during the 80's when they made many Nam war movies such as Full Metal Jacket (I have it), Platoon, Hamburger Hill, etc. I was obsessed about researching on Nam and my two uncles did their time there (one is dead now as he was the last in his troop to die from cancer that he caught from war with Nam). I still feel the same feeling in 80's but now I would very much like to travel through the Nam.

I have one question- did you had to have a guide with you or were you free to travel on your own with your buddy Mike?
Mike and I decided not to use a guide and we were free to travel wherever and whenever we wanted. Vietnam is a paradoxical place; a communist country where capitalism reigns. Try to visit Vietnam in the near future before it reinvents itself as another Thailand.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #114
cmohr
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 23
Excellent report!

Many thanks for your well-written and illustrated report. It reflects well the frienliness, curiosity and courtesy of the Vietnamese. Several groups of veterans from the infantry company I served in ('67-'68) have returned and reported similar interactions, even in meetings with the local guerillas who fought against us. The several RR's I've read about VN have me wanting to return. Now only if my wife would ride a motorcycle! If you're curious about the unit in which I served, google "a/2/12" and "dau tieng". Unfortunately, reports from groups that recently visited were published in our newslatter and are not available on the website.

Thanks, again,
"Alpha-3-6"
cmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #115
Comrade Art OP
Working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr View Post
Many thanks for your well-written and illustrated report. It reflects well the frienliness, curiosity and courtesy of the Vietnamese. Several groups of veterans from the infantry company I served in ('67-'68) have returned and reported similar interactions, even in meetings with the local guerillas who fought against us. The several RR's I've read about VN have me wanting to return. Now only if my wife would ride a motorcycle! If you're curious about the unit in which I served, google "a/2/12" and "dau tieng". Unfortunately, reports from groups that recently visited were published in our newslatter and are not available on the website.

Thanks, again,
"Alpha-3-6"
Chuck,
Interesting read about Company A on the Alpha Association website.
Enjoyed the old pics from Camp Rainier; can't believe you guys had a swimming pool
Thanks for your service!