User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #46
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,304
Well, I look at it like this:

When I'm on the big bastard going off pavement, I usually have somewhere to go. My reason for riding is to see the place, have some fun, and enjoy my adventure.

I'm not going to meet new folks, eat different food, see new sights if I'm on my back in some out of the way hospital with a wadded up bike.

Riding prudently when the track is unknown might not be as exhilarating, but those 30 minutes of exhilaration might well put a rather sudden end to my two weeks of travel. And maybe put an end to more.

To each his own, and in hindsight, sure, the fellow walked away with a binned motorbike only, but it could have been a lot worse.

I suggest to you that had his mate sprinted up to him and found him in the fetal position seriously injured or worse-- which could have very easily happened-- we would be having a very different conversation.

I have never had the big GS act like that, but last year on the Trans-Lab I did have the F650 Dakar swap ends on me after hitting big, one foot apart mini whoops at the top of a hill, followed by about 4" of fresh gravel.
I was moving right along on the return leg of the trip and decided to take it down a notch after that. Not the best suspension on that little bike (well sorted Ohlins on the big GS) which is being rectified as I type.

Funny the things that flash through your mind but I remember thinking, "I wonder what they'll find of my body, maybe a helmet and a piece of jacket?" as I was fighting a bike that was trying to swap ends on me and working towards the 12' drop on the side of the road.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 02:11 AM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #47
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 247
My 2 cents

It is interesting to see the clash of minds. The rational, a bit conservative, versus the adventurous, almost reckless.

Im 49, so we can rule out the impetus of youth, and unfortunately we can also rule out the benefits of the experience, since I started riding just five years ago. I have since ridden 40,000 miles, trying to catch up. I know it is not much considering other guys here, but I do not commute so I ride basically around town or taking long trips whenever I can,

I started with lighter bikes but upgraded recently to a 1150 GSA, which I promptly crashed. In fact, I recognized myself in this video. The cause of the crash is clear: after some time ridding standing on the pegs, the rider got tired or overconfident with the terrain and sat down. Terrain went soft, he remained seated and hit the brakes, probably let go of the gas, too. Been there, done that, flipped the bike and broke a collar bone. End of trip.

If I could live it again, would I have gone a lot slower, or avoided the gravel road? Probably no. For sure I would have gathered a lot more experience and off-road technic before venturing in that loose gravel again. Since then I took a few offroad classes, practiced more, and will eventually go back to that same gravel and "conquer it"! (meaning Ill get to the end of the road without hitting the ground face first @ 60mph!!)

I understand everyone who posted about "staying in the confort zone", but when I'm riding, I am already far from my confort zone. I ride to see new places and meet people, but the objective is the ride, not reach a destination nor making new frieds, even though it is cool to do so. I understand that it varies from people to people, it is natural.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #48
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 1,004
I ride today in a way that lets me survive to ride tomorrow.

portablejohn screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 05:31 PM
portablejohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #49
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejohn View Post
I ride today in a way that lets me survive to ride tomorrow.

I'm glad the guy is OK - the bike can be fixed.

Adventure riding I think is about survival. Sometimes it is not forgiving. Ever crash or get a flat and truly wonder if you will make it out OK? Do you ride alone to some far off destination where this isn't another soul for -MILES-? I think a lot of us have been in those situations. Do you carry a 'SPOT' device? I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

I think the video serves it's purpose - giving us a slap on the back of the head.

Again - I'm glad that person is OK.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote