Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #196
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
THE Cpt Ugly Dan met in Baja, 2011?

The windy section isn't till AFTER Salina Cruz. It's flat out retarded. I've NEVER rode such wind before. I was seriously thinking my tires were going to kick out from under my bike while I was leaned what felt further then 45 degrees. What was worse was it wasn't steady so you nearly hit the ditch, then into the on-coming vehicle. I guess Fletch met a guy after we parted ways who hit the ditch the day prior to us going through.

As for maps, I have City Navigator Mexico and from what I found it worked pretty damn well! Not sure what I had for Guatemala and Belize, but both of those were no issues navigating... I'll look into it. Big files but if i had to host for you guys to download I could see what my options are.
Hi Quinn, Yep its me, My buddy Jack and I met you guys in Gonzaga bay, I rode that damn Sherpa down thru Central America and back, I was inspired after seeing your RR from last year and thot, Hey I can do that! Ran into Jim here and Matt (great guys BTW) on the ferry over from La Paz to Topolabumpo. That too was the craziest wind i ever rode in myself, Jim must of had a good day! I went over twice on the bike. I only had 2 months but enjoyed every minute. Thanks for the GPS tips! Sorry for the hijack Jim, Please carry on.
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #197
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 370
Salina Cruz to Tuxtla

From Salina Cruz to Tuxtla, we crossed the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, or the narrowest band of land between the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean. It's known for its high winds, blowing generally from the north. During our ride, the wind was approximately 35-45 mph...the gusts blew us around in our lane, but we had ridden in worst!

Through this area, there are wind turbine farms that stretch for miles.

We took a break behind a single hill that provided shelter from the relentless wind. In the background the turbines are at work.

In the lee of this hill, a vacuum is created that attracts lots of airborne debris...some of which is caught in the bushes. Though there is trash seen on the ground in Mexico, this was a bizarre sight. The urban dictionary has a term for plastic bags caught in trees...they're known as "baggie birds".

This was quite a flock!

We've reached the State of Chiapas

The City of Tuxtla is our stop for the night. We'll have a full moon tonight. Friday night in the Jardín de la Marimba...the park was rockin'!

Slicing off pieces of al pastor is a treat...spit grilled pork is quite tasty.

On our walk back to the hotel, we passed the Cathedral de San Marcos where images were being projected onto its white facade.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:17 PM
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #198
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Hi Quinn, Yep its me, My buddy Jack and I met you guys in Gonzaga bay, I rode that damn Sherpa down thru Central America and back, I was inspired after seeing your RR from last year and thot, Hey I can do that! Ran into Jim here and Matt (great guys BTW) on the ferry over from La Paz to Topolabumpo. That too was the craziest wind i ever rode in myself, Jim must of had a good day! I went over twice on the bike. I only had 2 months but enjoyed every minute. Thanks for the GPS tips! Sorry for the hijack Jim, Please carry on.

Awesome to hear you're still rolling around.

I've got the itch to leave again. Trying to think of ways to make it work money wise. I'd like to do 6months in S.A but ride through central America on the express route to El Salvador / Honduras then slow down. Basically skip over most of what I seen on my last trip. I'd love to take it slow again but something's gotta give if you are going to cover more ground. I did a pretty thorough sweet though Mexico and Guat.

Enjoying the ride report! I love seeing other people's take on this, new pictures, and things I missed out on!

Keep it up!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #199
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Yeah

Hi Jim,

It warms my heart that you overcame the difficulties of December and are back on the road in full swing. Great pix. Look forward to sharing the road in Feb.

David
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #200
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Awesome to hear you're still rolling around.

I've got the itch to leave again. Trying to think of ways to make it work money wise. I'd like to do 6months in S.A but ride through central America on the express route to El Salvador / Honduras then slow down. Basically skip over most of what I seen on my last trip. I'd love to take it slow again but something's gotta give if you are going to cover more ground. I did a pretty thorough sweet though Mexico and Guat.

Enjoying the ride report! I love seeing other people's take on this, new pictures, and things I missed out on!

Keep it up!
Thanks...I read many rr's before this trip and enjoyed them too. But as I think back, I've done more wandering than planning. It's just the way it's happened.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #201
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Hi Jim,

It warms my heart that you overcame the difficulties of December and are back on the road in full swing. Great pix. Look forward to sharing the road in Feb.

David
The moment the bike restarted was sweet! It allowed me to spend another month in Mexico. And on that note...I hate put a damper on things, but this boy is heading home tomorrow. I have more ride report to put up tonight, but tomorrow morning will bring the first of seven days that I'll be on the road, heading back to Yuba City, CA. That is, without any surprises. So, I'll look forward to seeing you in Telluride this summer, and wish you safe travels until then.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #202
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Cañón del Sumidero

Just outside Tuxtla is the Cañón del Sumidero. It's impressive and worthwhile seeing...and a boat trip up the cañón to view it from the water would be even better! Maybe next time?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #203
jrzyguy OP
Restless

San Cristóbal de las Casas

I haven't tired of the Colonial architecture...it's a treat each and every time I see it!

I like the feeling even more at night. Especially with the moon in the background.

These marimba players are in the gazebo in the main plaza, Plaza 31 de Marzo.

I find it hard to pass up a good character when I see one!

The Mercado Municipal is a maze of vendors selling everything imaginable.

Anyone need a live hen or rooster?

Pollo?

While watching the activity in the mercado, I felt like I could have been in a number of different places of the world.

This surely isn't the meat counter in Whole Foods!

jrzyguy screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 08:43 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #204
jrzyguy OP
Restless

On The Road To Palenque

We came across this church in the countryside.

Quite simple in comparison to the city cathedrals. What's with the take-off on Tibetan prayer flags?

We passed through some magnificent countryside on our way to Palenque.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:38 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #205
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Agua Azul

Also on the road to Palenque is Aqua Azul. The beautiful waterfalls are a worthwhile detour.

This water shot is reminding me to mention that since leaving Oaxaca, the temperature and humidity have been oppressive. Sure wish I had my vented riding gear with me now.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #206
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Great update! The green landscape had me drooling at work..

Just wait for the heat... It'll get worse. When crossing over that "divide" and dropping down to Pelenque it does get very hot. The climate also changes. Gone are the clear cool days and in are the muggy, hot clear mornings and afternoon showers (downpours).

I got SOAKED going into Pelenque. Heaviest rain I've been in before. Could barely see. I was so close I just pushed on. Good fun! Warm water.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #207
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 36
Jim,

I'll echo all the positive comments that have been posted to this ride repot. It's been awesome!

I do have to say that you're a real jackass for heading north. ;-)

The worst part about your u-turn is that I can no longer refer my friends and family to your ride report for details of what I've been up to. So much for posting vicariously...I guess I now do really need to start my own ride report.

Safe travels home and post the pics from Palenque!

All the best,

Matt
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #208
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Palenque

Lonely Planet couldn't have been more accurate, " the soaring jungle-swathed temples of Palenque are a national treasure and one of the best examples of Maya architecture in Mexico."

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #209
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_p_w View Post
Jim,

I'll echo all the positive comments that have been posted to this ride repot. It's been awesome!

I do have to say that you're a real jackass for heading north. ;-)

The worst part about your u-turn is that I can no longer refer my friends and family to your ride report for details of what I've been up to. So much for posting vicariously...I guess I now do really need to start my own ride report.

Safe travels home and post the pics from Palenque!

All the best,

Matt
Matt, Thank you for the kind words...and especially for the photography lessons! Please post your address here when you get going on your report. I had a fabulous time traveling with you. It's one thing to take a trip with a friend, a known quantity so to speak, and to have a great time together. But it's more rare and fortunate for a rider to meet another on the road, strangers initially, and then to share quality experiences together. It was a blast and hopefully not the last!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #210
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Yucatan's West Side

Matt and I decided to explore different areas after Pelenque. Matt rode east, across the Yucatan to Belize, while I rode north on the Yucatan's west side. We planned to meet up in Belize, but that changed...

As I rode north along the water toward Campeche, I found myself having familiar feelings about the beach and the water, but I couldn't place them. Finally, it occured to me that I was being reminded of the Florida Keys. Although the water was on one side only, the beach was similar as well as a few long bridges.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 06:35 AM