Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #17191
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAAAP View Post
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!

Lucky Strike wrap done by the guys at www.StickyBros.com!!! Can't wait to rip around on it come spring time!

Well I don't think we have those in Canada, this is what Lucky looks like in MY neck of the woods!

Labatt's Lucky Lager
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #17192
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Kick-start installation

I installed the kick-starter on my E yesterday. It went surprisingly well, in spite of the way the instructions read.

I didn't have the special tool for holding the clutch, so I put the transmission in 5th gear, stuck a big screwdriver in the rear sprocket, against the swing arm, and loosened the nut. Put it on the same way. A 1 1/16 socket fits the nut (27mm) perfectly. Technically, it's 4/10,000 inch small (1.0625" vs. 1.0629") but neither nut nor socket noticed.

The parts kit is somewhat strangely packaged, with unrelated parts in several plastic bags. For example, I thought the starter shaft seal was missing but it turned up inside the compression release lever cover. Those two parts were in one of the bags. Other weird combinations made me scratch my head. Everything was there, though, including a new cotter key for the rear master cylinder linkage.

With the Unabiker radiator guards in place, the compression release assembly gets ugly. Installing the cable is a trick. Possible, but tricky. Finding room on the left handle bar is tough, as mine has a horn switch and mirror, for road-legal riding. Had to pull off a brand new grip, as well. The lever mount is one piece, and slides on the end of the bar.

Put the new Tonn's skid plate on, too. They're very nice. I went with the bare aluminum version. The steel one is less money but I haven't ever seen one, so was skeptical.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #17193
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 110
I was just wandering around over in the wr250r forum which I was once a usual poster when suddenly I became grateful that I did not need to put a big bore and change all kinds of shit on the DRZ to make it feel like a real motorcycle. I was doubtful when I went back to the DRZ cause of the sixth gear, fuel injection thing... but all in all I am much happier on my DRZ... that is all, just felt like sharing :) torque is nice...real nice!
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #17194
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 844
drz shock wanted. Recommendations?

I have a wtb in the FM but I would like a little input from drz owners. I have an 02 DRZ400 that I just recently bought. The rear shock is worn out. Can I rebuild it or anything. I weigh 225 and need a good one. Not in the ohlins price category either. Any suggestions or anybody got one they would sell me reaonably that is in good shape and not used up?

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"

superdutyGS screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 06:39 PM
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #17195
superdutyGS
lone rider

shock fit

will a shock from a 07 SM fit an 02 S model? I don't find a chart or cross reference anywhere.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #17196
superdutyGS
lone rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
These shocks are rebuildable providing that it hasn't been destroyed (eBay for a replacement if it is past rebuilding) and parts are readily available.

For your weight I'd suggest a 6.0kg/mm rear spring matched to 0.50kg/mm front springs.

Add Racetech valves (front and rear) if you have the coin... Highly recommended and they come with DVD howtos clearly explaining every step of the process.

As the rear is shagged I'd also have a very close look at the front and renew all of the wear parts.

It gets very expensive if suspension is allowed to wear beyond its limits for the sake of a few bucks in small parts.

Thanks for the wisdom. I will check on a rebuild. I don't think it is shot just tired. Thanks for the tips on the front as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #17197
superdutyGS
lone rider

front shocks

pretty sure mine are the earlier damper design

Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #17198
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
They're a wee bit shorter.

EDIT: BTW, you might like to check which forks you have. Early model S forks were the primitive damper rod style, while the later models all (S/E) had the same cartridge forks. The latter is far more desirable and if it comes to spending money on the front end, I'd want the later forks first. They're a drop in fit.
Do you know what year they changed over to cartridge forks?

Thanks

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #17199
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyGS View Post
I have a wtb in the FM but I would like a little input from drz owners. I have an 02 DRZ400 that I just recently bought. The rear shock is worn out. Can I rebuild it or anything. I weigh 225 and need a good one. Not in the ohlins price category either. Any suggestions or anybody got one they would sell me reaonably that is in good shape and not used up?

2000-up Suzuki DRZ400E rear susspension Shock NICE

DR-Z DRZ400 KLX400 shock suspension DRZ 400 KLX DRZ400E

SUZUKI DRZ400 DRZ400E DRZ 400 REAR SHOCK DAMPER *FREE SHIPPING*

If u want to rebuild one might is well drop in an Eibach spring (my favorite) you'll be set for a while. Here's 2 with different settings:

00-07 Suzuki DR-Z400E Eibach Shock Spring 5.9 kg/mm (Fits: DR-Z)

00-07 Suzuki DR-Z400E Eibach Shock Spring 6.1 kg/mm (Fits: DR-Z)

Here's this one if u wanna upgrade ur front suspension.
Race Tech Front Fork Springs fits Suzuki DRZ400 / Kawasak KLX400 / WP4860
I have one i rebuilded it 6 months ago an never used it, if ur intereted pm for more details (price+shipping).
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #17200
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
$3.99 blind spot mirrors from Orielly's auto parts, show a whole lot more then the stockers, fold in and out of the brush guards, cheap easy good mod imo.

They clean up the bike a bit too, by getting rid of the stockers.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #17201
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
$3.99 blind spot mirrors from Orielly's auto parts, show a whole lot more then the stockers, fold in and out of the brush guards, cheap easy good mod imo.

Very nice. Very clean bike overall. If you have details of your taillight, blinkers, any other mods, please post.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #17202
62hsr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Nice job on those mirrors! Can't beat that price! How's the vibration?
62hsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #17203
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:

They clean up the bike a bit too, by getting rid of the stockers.
How do you like those tires? Do you ride a lot of single track with them? Are they IRC, Shinkos, etc?
ssmschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #17204
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Nice! Now you just need a real set of hand guards to put them on!!
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #17205
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Just curious, Is there a particular reason so many bikes here don't have chain guards?

I just noticed the other day that I don't have one, and go to looking around here to see what they look like. Was kind of surprised at how few pictures I found with vs. without.

Dave
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote