Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #32761
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Same back at ya :) Nice write up. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - for me, your setup is perfect - I love this pic...

I've been thinking about luggage a lot, and some of the rides in my future. I wonder, is there any way to lock the Wolfman bags closed?
Thanks! Hmm.. locking the Wolfman bags.. I guess you could rig up something to detour thieves but if you had a knife you could cut right in to them.

I only run the rear Pelican iM2100 when I have my video gear with me on a ride.. but it does work very very well, better than I expected to be honest.... I have locks for it, and I can take it off/on very quickly.. take my gear in the tent or room for the night. Put it on my Versys too.. It has never moved or fallen off even on the rough stuff.. I put a small piece of that rubber drawer liner under it.

I should add.. yes a thief could just take the Pelican off the bike easily but if you dont' know how to do that you'd struggle, plus I usually have a Wolfman Enduro bag strapped against it hiding the ratchet strap..

For big trips I have a Wolfman duffel that I'll take, with more than enough room for everything!

now everyone knows how to quickly steal my stuff :)

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #32762
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
On the topic of the 21" vs. 17" vs. 19" front wheel...Well I have a WR250X with the 17" wheels on Avon Distanzias and a KLX351 with standard 21"/18" wheels on MT21 knobbys. The paved roads around me seem to be some of the roughest around, and I will always pick the WRX with the 17's if that's where I"m riding. It just handles pavement, rough or smooth, better than the dirt setup. I think the extra width of the 17's helps, because it feels more stable and with the Distanzias is much smoother. Now the 19" front wheel does interest me. If the OP on that topic goes that route, be sure to post pics and give us a report.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #32763
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
The dealers can't keep the Honda in stock people are waiting months for them so far its a huge seller and has a huge following! Having rode my buddies its not even close to a wrr but your not gonna find any lying around most greedy dealers marked them up
The local dope with a star tattooed on his forehead (not kidding) at my dealer never even knew one existed. We have zero curves in this state, but sportbikes get the ladies, so that's all they care to sell.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #32764
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Never had much trouble with my WR starting on cold mornings???......then again, "Sun" Diego is a different type of "cold"

That said, my 350XCF-W is much more temperamental than the WR ever was....I have to choke it everytime in the morning (yes, it has a choke unlike the WR....also has a kick back-up which is nice)
Mine doesn't like starting at -20, but then again neither does my car when its not plugged in. Pretty good if its above 0 and has been run recently, but I've found my WR doesn't like sitting for very long.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #32765
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,660
Quote:
Is that a Giant Loop brand bag you have there, or one you rigged? Looks huge, yet not out of place. What have you got stowed inside?
That is a Giantloop Coyote with another bag strapped on top.

It is from this ride report where you will find all the details you are looking for...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=round
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #32766
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Interesting point. A lot of the miles I will be riding are on bombed out post-recessionary pavement.

This is why I was thinking 19/17. But, it may still be a wacky idea on a WRR. I guess I could get a second set of 21/18 wheels and mount less aggressive tires. Input welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
One reason to stick with 21/18 is that they will use the same brake caliper location and disc size. Also, I would think you would need to adjust the suspension to go 21 > 17 in the front, and 18 > 17 in the rear. Ditto the chain length. No big deal maybe, but messing with brakes and forks with every wheel swap would be a turn-off for me.

Just buy another set of 21/18 wheels, and mount some Trailwings or Shinko 700s on one set, and run DOT knobbies on the other.

jon_l screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 01:01 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #32767
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
That is a Giantloop Coyote with another bag strapped on top.
I just picked up a Coyote, it's fantastic. Lots of room, very solid on the bike, very little frontal footprint.

They are on sale at atomic moto for about $250 w/free shipping right now. I think rocky mountain had a deal too.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #32768
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Ok, so I've read the how to on lowering my stock suspension, and seen some settings on how to get it set up for better riding (high fives settings). But I cannot find a how to on it. I found the actual settings in the post below, but does someone have a how to with pics or video to show me HOW to put these settings into place? I have already lowered the stock front and rear. I'm simply looking to get the rebound, dampening, etc set up right for my 155 pound body at this point so bumps will stop wanting to buck me off like a raging bull. Thanks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4628
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #32769
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Ok, so I've read the how to on lowering my stock suspension, and seen some settings on how to get it set up for better riding (high fives settings). But I cannot find a how to on it. I found the actual settings in the post below, but does someone have a how to with pics or video to show me HOW to put these settings into place? I have already lowered the stock front and rear. I'm simply looking to get the rebound, dampening, etc set up right for my 155 pound body at this point so bumps will stop wanting to buck me off like a raging bull. Thanks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4628
Have you looked at this link?

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=23371

Personally, I'm going to do what ThinAir talks about here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=22

When I get a Wrr that is :)
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #32770
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,118
Quote:
...couldn't agree more.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #32771
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Have you looked at this link?

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=23371

Personally, I'm going to do what ThinAir talks about here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=22

When I get a Wrr that is :)
That's perfect! Thank you. I thought there were three areas that could be adjusted on the rear shock though? Not just two?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #32772
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
Locking gas cap on Safari tank

I just bought a locking gas cap for my Safari tank from justgastanks.com -- http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=488. Is anyone else using this? Is it OK that it doesn't have a vent tube like the OEM one?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #32773
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 407
locking luggage options

there are products like this, I just cannot remember where to look for more types:

http://cheesycam.com/pacsafe-anti-th...bag-protector/

Someone could probably just open up your tool kit and bust in anyways but it would slow them down.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #32774
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
there are products like this, I just cannot remember where to look for more types:

http://cheesycam.com/pacsafe-anti-th...bag-protector/

Someone could probably just open up your tool kit and bust in anyways but it would slow them down.
Thanks for that. I really don't know what to do, but will probably go with Wolfman bag and try to keep inexpensive stuff in them. I have trips planned that will involve me doing a variety of things, such as; see a band in another city who won't come to SLC (jerks), go to the aquarium in Atlanta & the Smithsonian in DC, park at a trail head & hike a summit over 2 days, and ride to Tierra del Fuego. But on the way to and from these things, and also while I'm here, I want to be riding on dirt as often as possible. I'm still thinking about the 13L hard cases at Happy Trails, but again, will probably go with soft panniers & a lockable topbox.

If you can somehow manage to look to the pannier in this pic below (if you can't, I totally understand), you can see what appears to be a cable locking the bag to the bike. That might be a similar level deterant to the one you found, slightly stealthier though - you probably can't even see it

* pic from the Sibersky Extreme RR.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #32775
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
If you can somehow manage to look to the pannier in this pic below (if you can't, I totally understand), you can see what appears to be a cable locking the bag to the bike. That might be a similar level deterant to the one you found, slightly stealthier though - you probably can't even see it

* pic from the Sibersky Extreme RR.
That's a PacSafe cable lock.

Dyslexics untie!