ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 484
BMW F650GS Battery Blues - A Winter Weekend Motorcyle Adventure

Took the Dakar out for a ride in the PacNorthWet on a nice cool winter weekend. Sun came out and it was beautiful. I stopped by a river to see how the fishing was. Went to start the bike and everything lit up and then died. No power whatsoever. I checked all the fuses and they were good.
I called BMW and they said my battery probably imploded. Short story, bike was dead. I ditched the bike at a farm, after pushing it nearly a mile. I then hiked about five miles in the dark to a small town and finally got in touch with a friend and they offered to come get me ... It was late now. It was foggy and cold, so I hung out in a library. They closed and kicked me out. I hung around outside the library waiting to be picked up. In any event got, home and it began to poor buckets. Just in time.
I got up at 6 am the next morning and got the bike. It was still raining.

Once at home, I checked f650.com and got an AGM battery, per the majority of the opinion over on the forum, from O'Reillys auto parts. The parts store did a load test on teh old battery and sure enough there is short in the battery. I installed the new battery. Fired up teh bike and away I went to ride some Forrest service roads up to the snow. No problems.
I've never had a battery implode like this. I may have tried to start the bike with the heated grips on high and the PIAA lights were on. Not sure what really happened, but in my research, it seems that people have had similar problems with bike and car batteries.
See more at: http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.com/

RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Nice video. I like happy endings.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Very nice video! That "warp" effect around 2:20 was pretty cool - at first I wondered it you had some sort of mechanical panning device on the camcorder; or a videographer along with you.
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens View Post
Very nice video! That "warp" effect around 2:20 was pretty cool - at first I wondered it you had some sort of mechanical panning device on the camcorder; or a videographer along with you.
Effects, all done with software.
Someday I hope to post a virtual ride report using Pixar Studios. I'll be taking motorcycle stunts and tours to a new level.

BTW: That was a looong night last Friday. Darn battery.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
lucky

Maybe you were lucky. I don't like to explore too far off the beaten track solo just in case of a mechanical failure or minor accident. 20 miles flies by pretty quickly on a bike, but I wouldn't want to walk it in motorcycle boots in the middle of winter.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
Maybe you were lucky. I don't like to explore too far off the beaten track solo just in case of a mechanical failure or minor accident. 20 miles flies by pretty quickly on a bike, but I wouldn't want to walk it in motorcycle boots in the middle of winter.
Luckly, I had my gym clothes with me. I put my sneakers on and left the boots and my helmet in the panniers. I probably looked pretty goofy with white sneakers and my riding gear, riding gloves (all with reflective material) and my black head warmer (which look likes a ski mask) sitting outside the Carnation library.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
gordojordo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Neat video

Hey Grizz, can you tell me the make, model and cost of the battery you bought? Think it will fit in a 2001 F650GS?

I just got back from 3 years in South America (9 months of which were spent riding around on a KLR ) and I need to pull the F650GS out of storage. Surely I will need a new battery...

Thanks!
gordojordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordojordo View Post
Hey Grizz, can you tell me the make, model and cost of the battery you bought? Think it will fit in a 2001 F650GS?

I just got back from 3 years in South America (9 months of which were spent riding around on a KLR ) and I need to pull the F650GS out of storage. Surely I will need a new battery...

Thanks!
Sure thing.

Check here for a good start.
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/BatteryFAQ.htm

I bought a Deka PowerSport ETX15L (sealed battery).

List of other options metnioned here.
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/BatteryFAQ....aled Batteries

There are some minor fit issues mentioned in the FAQ, but it fit just fine in my 2006 Dakar (maybe a little snug, but I didn't have to modify anything). Your experience may be different with an older GS model. The cost was $68 at O'Reiley's Auto Parts (includes $10 refund for core charge).

It looks like sealed AGM batteries are the way to go. They are a bit more in price, but supposedly a better fit for dualsport and dirt bikes. I hope the one I got lasts awhile... I'm sure you will see a post from me if it doesn't.

Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
As a long time F650GS owner, the AGM is the way to go. Congrats on getting it sorted out.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote