User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Hide & Seek OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Moving to Germany

Hallo, I will be moving to Berlin in April and would like some information about owing a bike in Germany. I will be living there on a 12 month working holiday visa to start with. Also any links to websites people sell second hand bikes on would be great, even links or recommendations of stores that sell gear and good mechanics in Berlin would be a huge help.

Here is a link to my introduction on this site, saves repeating myself
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858175

I look forward to riding around your beautiful country.
Cheers
Riley
Hide & Seek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
A couple websites for vehicles and bikes:

www.mobile.de
www.autoscout24.de
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Brit/Man II
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Thumb From OZ to Germany why???

Hi Joe here, just had a look over your site, man you will miss that type of riding when you get over here,
as for getting a bike, as long as you are registered and I asume have a work permit it's no problem, with you license
you must fined out if you have to take a driving test over here or if you can get an EU permit from OZ.

hope it all works out for you have fun.

JOE

Don`t dream of the past, don`t dwell on the future.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

Brit/Man II screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:57 AM Reason: miss spelt well I failed my 11+ :-(
Brit/Man II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Sansibar
RoadRunner

Oddometer: 11
Come on over...

Hi everyone,

in Germany, you need the following things to register a moto:
insurance number as a proof for liability insurance
registration certificate, part 2
passport and certificate of registration
direct debit authority for the vehicle tax (needed at least her in Baden Wurtemberg but I think Berlin is the same)

The insurance conditions are more or less standardized, so you can choose any insurance company. Note - this insurance needed for registration only covers third party claims. It is not sufficent to protect your bike against vandalism or stealing. You have to pay an additional fee for that. The registration certificate part 2 ("Fahrzeugbrief") must come with the moto. If you register the bike on your name, you will receive the registration part 1 ("Fahrzeugschein"), you should carry this with you when you are on the ride. And of course, you will get a number plate :-)

Most important for you is the certificate of registration stating your domicile and a current account (for the tax debit authority). Costs of registration? Well, somthing around 50 Euros incl. a number plate and all the paperwork. Insurance fee and vehicle tax depends on the bike.

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Marc
Sansibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
Hide & Seek OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansibar View Post
Hi everyone,

in Germany, you need the following things to register a moto:
insurance number as a proof for liability insurance
registration certificate, part 2
passport and certificate of registration
direct debit authority for the vehicle tax (needed at least her in Baden Wurtemberg but I think Berlin is the same)

The insurance conditions are more or less standardized, so you can choose any insurance company. Note - this insurance needed for registration only covers third party claims. It is not sufficent to protect your bike against vandalism or stealing. You have to pay an additional fee for that. The registration certificate part 2 ("Fahrzeugbrief") must come with the moto. If you register the bike on your name, you will receive the registration part 1 ("Fahrzeugschein"), you should carry this with you when you are on the ride. And of course, you will get a number plate :-)

Most important for you is the certificate of registration stating your domicile and a current account (for the tax debit authority). Costs of registration? Well, somthing around 50 Euros incl. a number plate and all the paperwork. Insurance fee and vehicle tax depends on the bike.

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Marc
Thank you very much, this was just the answer I was looking for. At this stage I will just be riding with a international driving permit so I'm hoping it will get me through the 12 months. And I plan on buying a pretty cheap bike so theft shouldn't be a big issue (why would someone bother stealing it, and if they did it wouldn't be a big loss)

Quote:
man you will miss that type of riding when you get over here
Yeah once I found out how limited my chance of any real off road riding would be I died a little inside. Oh well possibly a move to Sweden coming up after. I believe they are a little more open to it, or is that just wishful thinking?
Hide & Seek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
i have seen a lot of people say they will use an international permit.... i guess the US version is something different to anywhere else as an international permit/licence is simply a translation document for your original licence. ?
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 364
International licence

I don't think you can do that, ride for 12 months on the international licence, I mean. I seem to recall that 6 months is the grace period you have to drive around with your former licence. After that, you need a local one. It's going on 9 years since I moved here, do the memory is a little foggy.

I moved from Canada (the point being, like Oz, a Commonwealth nation so chances are Germany rates the licence standards similarly, something an aquaintence from Brazil did not enjoy) and all I had to do for my Class 5 (car) was bring my old licence, a passport format photo, and 36 Euro and they took my old licence and gave me a shiny new EU licence. Stupidly enough, for my Class 6 (the all important motorcycle permit) I had to re-do the theoretical and practical exams. That was a bit pricier: roughly 300 Euro.

The up side to all that is for one year you can drive at speeds that would get you shot and pissed on in (most) other countries

(Obviously I mean only on certain roads, and of course condition permitting. Sheesh.)