User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #27031
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,902
So, I took about 5 minutes off my best time on the local 5 mile MTB trail last night. I wasn't trying to per se, I was trying my best to be smooth. (OK, my heart rate was about 10 bpm higher than normal, so maybe I was trying ) After 7 months of riding I am still not confident in my cornering ability; I know I slow too much for turns. I am getting better though, like I said, I am working on being smooth.

My bike has a 3x8 gear set. I try my best to keep the front on the middle sprocket. That seems to work best for me at the moment. There is one section of switchbacks on this trail that I have to drop down to about 2nd gear to get up... oh well, I get up it.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #27032
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
So, I took about 5 minutes off my best time on the local 5 mile MTB trail last night. I wasn't trying to per se, I was trying my best to be smooth. (OK, my heart rate was about 10 bpm higher than normal, so maybe I was trying ) After 7 months of riding I am still not confident in my cornering ability; I know I slow too much for turns. I am getting better though, like I said, I am working on being smooth.

My bike has a 3x8 gear set. I try my best to keep the front on the middle sprocket. That seems to work best for me at the moment. There is one section of switchbacks on this trail that I have to drop down to about 2nd gear to get up... oh well, I get up it.
Some of it is tire pressure. Some of it is weight over the front end. Some of it is just trusting the bike.

Don't worry about what gear you're in. Spin smoothly, don't mash. When you know a climb's coming, shift down a ring and a few cogs harder to get the same relative gear ratio and get ready to start dumping cogs to maintain your spin as the trail goes up.

Ride more. It'll come

M
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #27033
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Some of it is tire pressure. Some of it is weight over the front end. Some of it is just trusting the TIRES.

Ride more. It'll come

M
This^ and amended/fixed. Gotta have confidence in the tires when pushing hard. I recently bought a dial type tire gauge with a 30psi limit. I think it will help zero in on getting pressures setup much better than the 160psi gauge I was using. This is the unit:

http://www.ebikestop.com/meiser_pres...psi-PU3009.php
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #27034
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I know I slow too much for turns. I am getting better though, like I said, I am working on being smooth.
Also; when possible, try keeping your outside pedal at 6 o'clock and weighting it as much as possible through the turn. A DH rider told me this once, and it works very well.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #27035
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Also; when possible, try keeping your outside pedal at 6 o'clock and weighting it as much as possible through the turn. A DH rider told me this once, and it works very well.

And if you shift your head over your inside elbow and point your inside knee away from the bike and toward the corner, you'll feel the bike plant itself for the turn, just a like motorcycle.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #27036
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
So far I've ridden Tallboy, Scalpel, Superfly 100 Elite, Spearfish, and looked at a few others. Scalpel stands out so far.
Dual suspension 29er shootout: http://www.bicycling.co.za/bikes-gea...9ers-reviewed/
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #27037
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
That was awesome! 2:15 of working on my tan lines. ...in JAN! Woot!

M
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #27038
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
After a google search, three bikes in that comparo seem irrelevant... since they're only available in South Africa where the test was performed: Momsen Dual Link 7, Pyga Industries ONETEN29, and Silverback Mercury Elite.

I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in for a demo ride on a Pivot Mach 429, since I like mine so much. Here's a dealer locator for thechickencow:
http://www.pivotcycles.com/dealers/region/usa
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #27039
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That comparison has 29ers of all different component levels, disciplines, and travel. Not much of a shootout.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #27040
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,115
and it left out... SANTA CRUZ.

no bias here, oh no.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #27041
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Oh my! This is better than that whole Larry Armstrong/Doping/Skinny tire ride around France scandal thing!

Everybody was talking about it at the trails last night, people are taking sides, friendships will be destroyed.

Seems the whole fat bike vs. skier thing has really come to a head.

At the race last weekend, they started the fat bikes just 2 hours after the last wave of skiers on the 50k course. The fastest fat biker beat the fastest skier by almost 10 minutes. Even I was catching up to the last few poor souls on skis praying for it to just be over.

Seems it didn't go without incident- the winning biker apparently crashed into a skier or two en route to victory.

The race result comments are interesting if you catch them before they get edited.

Guess I need to go ahead with my "FATBIKING IS NOT A CRIME" sticker order.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #27042
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Oh my! This is better than that whole Larry Armstrong/Doping/Skinny tire ride around France scandal thing!

Everybody was talking about it at the trails last night, people are taking sides, friendships will be destroyed.

Seems the whole fat bike vs. skier thing has really come to a head.

At the race last weekend, they started the fat bikes just 2 hours after the last wave of skiers on the 50k course. The fastest fat biker beat the fastest skier by almost 10 minutes. Even I was catching up to the last few poor souls on skis praying for it to just be over.

Seems it didn't go without incident- the winning biker apparently crashed into a skier or two en route to victory.

The race result comments are interesting if you catch them before they get edited.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #27043
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post

I'll take one! Maybe two!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #27044
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Any other ADVCyclists going to this?

http://www.stopswapandsave.com/
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #27045
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
Very nice. Here, I drive to work and back to the hotel in he dark.
I think more people have cell phones stuck to their heads and in their laps here than in Southern California!
Only here they don't even bother to fake paying attention to what's outside the car/truck/beaterwagon.
I have to carry two cell phones now, thanks to work. And I ignore them in the car, even with bluetooth connections.
I'm acquiring this sort of dank phosphor pallor. You know that sexy gray, clammy look of the dead guy in the haunted house?

When I run it seems to always be cold so I'm wrapped up like the kid from "Christmas Story".
At least I have avoided licking any flag poles.

... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That was awesome! 2:15 of working on my tan lines. ...in JAN! Woot!

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: