Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #32791
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
I like the value of these boxes and I am not a fan of hard cases on dual sports at all after a nice get off on my KLR and mermites. Could have really tore my leg up.

Cable locks may work, but if it's left alone I would not trust it..I mean anyone not to mess with it. A small/cheap top box would be the best bet even though they are ugly.
This is the reason I'd prefer soft, but what if going to other cities as well as trails is in your todo list? But you do have to sleep somewhere even if you visit a city, so the soft bags can go in the tent or hotel room.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #32792
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Wrench View Post
oldtrucks, just curious what led you to suspect the relay unit...it seems all the things that don't work are all on the same fuse: 10A signal fuse...it feeds all that you listed, even the power to the start relay and the console...I would recheck that fuse and the associated wiring (the brown wire) which goes to everything you lost...
I believe he checked the fuses, (#55 being the signal fuse) pg 8-67&68 of the tech man. We were looking at the next possibility which is the Starter cutoff relay which has current sensitive diodes in it. When he was checking for a place to tap for a switched line near his headlight he had the ignition on and shorted across to connectors. So if the fuse is good the next point to check is #11 on schematic the Starter cutoff relay(16 wired main relay behind the battery), which is one of 3-4 relays that have diodes in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
I believe there is a fuse in the headlight shroud. I've been meaning to go poking around so i know where to look should i have any issues, but haven't done it yet. Maybe someone can chime in...
No fuse in headlight shroud. Only the main fuse 30A is by the starter relay. The rest of the fuses are in the fuse box below leftside of gas tank behind the tank shroud.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #32793
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
This is the reason I'd prefer soft, but what if going to other cities as well as trails is in your todo list? But you do have to sleep somewhere even if you visit a city, so the soft bags can go in the tent or hotel room.
It's a dilemma for some. I am usually near my bike be it camping or in a hotel. Your case where you will be at a concert, hiking, etc. hard bags make a lot more sense. Plus they are much easier to pack, sty put and are secure/dry. Anything can be stolen, we all know this.

Sport touring I prefer hard cases, dual sport/ADV touring I prefer soft bags. I still think a smallish top box would be the best of both worlds along with soft side bags you can attach a shoulder strap to take with you.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #32794
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
Is there any real difference between a F and a R? Besides electric start,street legal and F.I.
IOW, aren't the engines and chassis/suspension similar?
Not at all, something that lots of Yamaha salesmen in Yamaha dealerships still don't know due to the similar names (and because they haven't scrutinized the bikes, themselves).

It's along the lines of what other posters have written:

The WR-250F from 2002 is, basically, a 2002 YZ-250F (motocross bike) with lights, an 18" rear wheel, and a 3.2 gallon fuel tank.
This bike is MUCH better off-road because it has tighter gear ratios, is considerably lighter, has a bit more power across the board, and the suspension (particularly the rear) is quite a bit better.
I put it like this (because I've tried it):
A WR-250F with dual-purpose tires (the same ones that come on a WR-250R, in fact) still feels mucho better off-road than a WR-250R does even with the very best knobby tires mounted to it.
The better an off-road rider you are, the more this will feel to you.

For street use, the gearing is short, and the bike doesn't have a high top speed unless you literally rev it at redline down the road.
You can change the sprockets to gear it taller, but you hurt it's off-road gearing.
You can compromise, but it's still a compromise, especially if you ride in the woods.

The WR-250R was designed, I believe, as a street bike that can withstand lots and lots of street milage, meet all of the EPA regulations, and be ridden off-road in a reasonable manner.
The WR-250R is a MUCH better bike for street milage due to the engine being very smooth-running with very low vibration (which gives you the impression that it can withstand lots of highway and street usage for mile after mile), and because the gear ratios from the tranny and sprockets is pretty tall, allowing the bike to zip down the road with high-speed traffic you get these days.

Off -road, the bike feels like the typical dual-purpose bike that comes with second-rate suspension and is a bit overweight.
You can ride it practically anywhere, but the feel of the bike leaves much to be desired if you want a true dirt bike.
If you don't know any better, you may have nothing to complain about, and if you're expecting a pure dirt bike, you'll probably be in for a let-down.
It's just fine for recreational trail riding, and is what it's really intended for, just like any other Yamaha dual-purpose bike from day 1.
So, it really depends on you.

My advice with the WR-250R (and any bike you ride off-road):

Up the service intervals shown in the Owner's Manual when riding off-road.
Going 3,000 miles between oil changes and 6 months between servicing the air filter on a bike ridden in the dirt ain't good.

YZEtc screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 01:42 PM
YZEtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #32795
huron52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
. I'm still thinking about the 13L hard cases at Happy Trails, but again, will probably go with soft panniers & a lockable topbox.

* pic from the Sibersky Extreme RR.
I actually bought the 33litre hard bags from Happytrails.... they are bigger than I thought they would be. But I like the rack that comes with it. I figure I can always take the hard bags off and throw soft bags over the racks to tie them to.

As for the picture .... where is the bike? LOL
huron52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #32796
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Here we are last Feb out for a local back roads ride."

KansasBob... What windshield did you fit ? Any good ?
Man........ You take a couple of days off for a road trip, and you're 5 pages behind!

It's the TCI windshield and mounting system. I Love it. You can leave the mounts on and 4 plastic screws come off with a pocket screw driver. You can also mount a rack (purchased separately) that TCI makes. Only draw back is the mounting system uses the top trip tree mounts and the top set of handlebar bolts. You can't use it with trip tree mounted hand guards, bar risers, or fat bar adapters.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #32797
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by goroka View Post
Not sure if this helps:

I run a 48 tooth rear and 13 tooth front. According to my GPS I deduct 14.4% from the bike reading to get a true road speed/distance. At 100km/h indicated I am doing about 84km/h. (About 60mph gives about 51 mph)

Most of my riding is off road so this isnt an issue - when I am on the open road I have to be sitting on about 117km/h to be doing 100km/h. Result is that I am aware that I am running that much higher in revs. As far as 1st and 2nd gear is concerned I find that the gearing suits me fine in the hills that I ride in. Yes - they will be shorter - I think 2nd now is probably closer to first with standard gearing just based on feel.

Cheers
Since I am only planning on going up to a 46t, do you think that my 2nd gear will be as low as yours? Thanks.
amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #32798
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 372
luggage

I prefere soft bags because they are a little lighter wight and give a little in crashes, although their contents cannot be brittle. I made my own saddle bags using truckers tarp (the v-18 vinyl) and have been happy with them. I just started using a $10 cycle gear tank bag as a tail bag also. together they will fit everything I need for adventure. I did have to add a brace on the right to keep em from floppin' and a pad to guard against exhaust heat. They have taken some hard spills and are totally waterproof. They are a pain to get stuff out of because of lack of organization
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #32799
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
What's the consensus on skid plates? I live in Canada and the cheapest I can pick up is the Zeta skid plate... I have seen the zeta's, flatlands, moose... which should I go with?
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #32800
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Flatland. I have it and it has worked well for me so far, plus I'm in Cape Breton so similar terrain.

http://www.mx1canada.com/flatland-sk...wr-462445.html
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #32801
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
What's the consensus on skid plates? I live in Canada and the cheapest I can pick up is the Zeta skid plate... I have seen the zeta's, flatlands, moose... which should I go with?
Here's a couple more options for you...

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=473

I like the unique looks of this one. Is that a little oil storage there at the front?

I think what I'd like the best is what Rick Ramsey did on his Wrr - though I'm not a natural fabricator so don't know if I'd actually do this. **Go to the 2nd section, More Skid Plate...

http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#skidplate
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #32802
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Rick either is, or is effectively, running the Moose plastic Skidplate I believe now. If I were going to start fresh, or just get a new plate, I'd strongly consider it myself.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #32803
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Rick either is, or is effectively, running the Moose plastic Skidplate I believe now. If I were going to start fresh, or just get a new plate, I'd strongly consider it myself.
I like it. Says its only for a 2008, but afaik nothing has changed that would prevent using this on a newer model?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #32804
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,497
Quote:
Here's a couple more options for you...

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=473

I like the unique looks of this one. Is that a little oil storage there at the front?

I think what I'd like the best is what Rick Ramsey did on his Wrr - though I'm not a natural fabricator so don't know if I'd actually do this. **Go to the 2nd section, More Skid Plate...

http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#skidplate
Pretty sure that is the charcoal canister on the CA or 50 state model.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #32805
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
2013 250 Dual Sport Shootout

The Honda took 1st Place.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote