Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #31
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Blasphemy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
Throw it back. TY 175’s always sound worn out. They are to small for normal humans and they are just not cool enough when MAR’s Sherpa T’s and Montesa’s are readily available.

Dave
Don't listen to this guy! These bikes are great fun, cheap as chips and parts readily available. Keep up the good work.. I will be following this with interest, I have two TYs buried at home in the back of my garage (80 and 175) waiting to be done up, this thread is inspiring me to get to work as soon as I return to the UK
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #32
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Questions...

Im needing at least a picture of the metal seat base. I need the whole seat, for my 175, previous owner at some point modded a MX seat I believe, in place.

Anyone have a picture of the seat pan, ours is a 76 orange tanker. If I find I need one, any ideas where to get one?

Lastly, would this be modern or classic?

http://www.youtube.com/v/VS8sMraMSGo?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
UFFDA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Looking Good

Great progress! I know a guy that did this with a 137 Alpina and it took him forever. However, he spent more time arguing with Glenn than working. If I can help don't hesitate to call.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #34
roninwva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Great job restoring the bike. Now if only I could find a barn with an old trials bike sitting inside.

CMA
PGR
HOG
91 FLHTC
04 Kodiak 450
06 Wee-Strom
roninwva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #35
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Questions...

Im needing at least a picture of the metal seat base. I need the whole seat, for my 175, previous owner at some point modded a MX seat I believe, in place.

Anyone have a picture of the seat pan, ours is a 76 orange tanker. If I find I need one, any ideas where to get one?

Lastly, would this be modern or classic?

http://www.youtube.com/v/VS8sMraMSGo?
I could have just edited the last post, but if you are like me, already read it, you might not notice the changes I need.

OK I discovered that my seat base is the actual seat base for the ty175, in case anyone was going to help me find a picture...

Wish I had the foam, but Im gonna custom it anyhow.

Pictures later.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #36
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninwva View Post
Great job restoring the bike. Now if only I could find a barn with an old restored trials bike sitting inside.
fixed

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
JRAM OP
sherpa

Oddometer: 41
A few more pictures of progress

Ok- so a little more progress. Wheels are now done. New rear wheel bearings, brake shoes, sprocket and polishing the rim. Front wheel got new brake shoes. The previous owner wore down the shoes to literally nothing. They wrapped electrical tape around the brake cam to get the shoes to expand further! I thought I was cheap- but not that cheap!

SSPX7609 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

My father has been working on this with me and has done most of the work lately. He cleaned and painted the tank and it looks pretty good. We are trying to keep the costs down so we are doing everything ourselves if possible. Front forks are on and work good. Soon we will have a rolling chassis.

SSPX7608 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

Next up is the cleaning and degreasing of the engine. What a long and tedious job. Flywheel came off nice. Will need new points as they are worn down to almost nothing. New condenser as well and rewiring. The lighting coil was damaged- looked like someone put in a screwdriver in one of the slots to keep flywheel from turning and buggered it up. Since I don't plan on having lights we are just going to remove it. Found out the high tension coil on the frame is bad. That's probably why they parked it.

SSPX7607 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
JRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 868
Great progress! love the updates, makes me want to restore a vintage... now if I could only get my 74 Beetle project done so I can try talking the wife into it.
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #39
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Good job! My first bike was Honda TL125 and I've always loved trials bikes. The TY series are fun bikes and maybe someday the right one will be available for the cost of a twelve-pack.

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #40
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Good work so far. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Are you talking about the lighting coil or the stator? Typically the lighting coil is a coil on the stator. One for spark one for lighting.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #41
JRAM OP
sherpa

More progress

It's nice to have a rolling chassis now so we can see some progress. The rear gas tank bracket was busted off, so my father came up with a good solution. A piece of aluminum with some rubber on the bottom clamping onto it.

SSPX7614 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

SSPX7619 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

We had do some work on the case as there was some damage above the sprocket where there is a hole through to the shift drum. I was able to order a new plug from Yamaha and we will silicone it back in. There was duct tape shoved in there to stop it from leaking!!! I am amazed how many OEM parts are still available for this bike. I had to order a needle and seat for the carburetor and it was only $16. Points and condenser were only $12 from Dennis Kirk. Stator is ready to go. Next up the shift linkage needs to be addressed- it's really sloppy.

SSPX7618 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

SSPX7615 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #42
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,319
Damn you were able to get he screws loose that hold the points plate down...had to drill mine out..replaced mine with these Allen head screws

[IMG][/IMG]
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #43
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

We have a barn find as well, but the barn didnt fall on ours, lol.

Ok, not a great joke, but the OP is making HUGE difference in what he started with, than we are.

But I thought I would put a picture up for your viewing, this is a 76 model.

+2nd picture wasn't any better so remove it+

No, not for sale. Yes, dad has done quite a bit of cleaning it up, before this shot was taken a couple months ago.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
JRAM OP
sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
Damn you were able to get he screws loose that hold the points plate down...had to drill mine out..replaced mine with these Allen head screws

[IMG][/IMG]
Oh I've had plenty of stripped out broken bolts on this bike. We had to cut a slot in some of the case screws because they were so rounded out.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #45
JRAM OP
sherpa

Sting32- Dang that TY is in pretty nice shape. Fresh gas and I bet it starts right up. I'm glad I've had this project to work on because winter will just not end here in Minnesota. I'm starting to get antsy for spring.