Nice work. Good read.
2008 GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Cardo Scala rider G4 PowerSet
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #47
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,547
She got new brake shoes back aft, and new pads up front.....Everything was pulled apart, degreased and de-rusted, and re-greased

Just have to say here, after doing BMW's, that parts and stuff for the XS are so freekin' CHEAP (sometimes the price is cheap, sometimes the quality is cheap, sometimes both!.... but rear brake shoes from Mike's XS are $15 (yes, $fifteen!) whereas rear brake shoes for an airhead are north of $100...... And since they built tens of thousands of XS's, there is quite a selection of used parts, where those are appropriate!

...new chain...

....starting to look and get ride-able....

...found a pair of genuine British Muffler takeoffs, complete with lousy chrome, a tiny crack or two, and lots of real patina...

and the wonder of it all, the slid right into the new SS headers with a tight fit! Here she is with a trial fit:

bpeckm screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:13 PM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #48
bpeckm OP
Grin!

This bike really looked good with this combination of paint and bare tank, so this was major inspiration:

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #49
bpeckm OP
Grin!

The paint proved to be a "learning experience"..... I wanted to paint the stripes, not use tape, so it was an exercise in masking, then unmasking and painting, then... well, at one point I just took the paint stripper to it and started over......

but, it was starting to look like what Will wanted, so, "we" persevered.....

Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #50
bpeckm OP
Grin!

I wasn't smart enough to save some of the original frame paint (which was a 2-part paint that is tough, and I applied using the little Preval sprayers....) came out "okay".... but not great. So, I found a close match in a Rustoleum Pro color that I used for the tank, and I had already used the gloss-black Rustoleum Pro, which I found quite workable.

This was the first try at putting the tank on the bike to see how the paint would work out with the frame and bike colors....

...not exact, but PDC......

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #51
bpeckm OP
Grin!

While the trials and tribulations of "why won't it spark today?.... it ran perfectly yesterday..." were going on, the seat was literally lashed down for the up- and down-the-street-we-go trials.

I talked to a couple of upholstery shops to find out how they could fasten the covers over what I had... and since I had used the original metal pan, I thought I had better do something to provide for staples, since drilling/riveting a cover would be sorta ridiculous, I thought.

So, being the boatbuilder/fiberglass/carpenter/wrench that I am, I came up with this brilliant idea:

I had already bonded the top and bottom of the metal seat with a slurry of epoxy and thickeners, so I cut some wood strips and loosely clamped them onto the edges with some thick epoxy (gotta love that Cabosil!) to fill the gaps, and then stapled the second row over that with some more epoxy/bonding, and then filled in the edges....

The seat cushion/foam was glued on with regular spray adhesive, btw.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Shaping the wood edges/epoxy thickener was a piece of cake with a small disc sander, then it was painted black and clearcoated.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #53
bpeckm OP
Grin!

I got the local sign painter to make me up a Yamaha graphic from a digital file that I shamelessly appropriated... this blue is a little off, so he is re-doing it in a better-matching color, but this was son Will's request:

Once we got that figured out, it was time to wetsand and clearcoat the bare-metal tank and the rattlecan Rustoleum, with remarkably good results!

...as a matter of fact, I ended up rubbing the gloss down with some rubbing compound, as it was just too freekin' shiny

Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #54
bpeckm OP
Grin!

The clearcoat that I used this time, and that I used several years ago for my cafe'd BMW, is a two-part clearcoat that comes in a rattlecan. It is a S L I C K product. I found it at R&E paint supply, but you can probably find it elsewhere.... It has a button on the bottom of the can that you push, which injects the catalyst into the paint, then shake and use as any rattlecan. The can has a pretty good nozzle, it has a shelf life of about 24 hrs once activated. The nice thing is that it is a very quick-setting product, so you can get several coats on, wet-on-wet, for a great chemical cure.

I used it over several years on the other bike, with gas spilled on it, sitting in the rain/sun/weather etc and it stood up beautifully.... not bad for rattlecan!

This is a shot of the product that I took when I did the cafe....

Product is Spray Max 2K ClearCoat. Try it, you'll like it!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #55
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,161
Very NICE job....
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #56
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Yes, I am all smiles these days... and as soon as this freeeekin' slush goes away (tomorrow?) I want to get out and ride a little...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #57
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post

...as a matter of fact, I ended up rubbing the gloss down with some rubbing compound, as it was just too freekin' shiny

Nice Job
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #58
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Last Saturday was a banner day... got the seat back from upholsteryman, and got the pipes tweaked.....

The pipes from Hoos are called his Street Tracker pipes. They are 1.75" unpolished stainless steel, and are, I think, a helluva value! He builds a couple of different styles... these come pretty much straight back at the sides, so I cut them to the length I wanted, and then cut a notch in the top of the pipes right under the pegs, and had the welder weld 'em up so that there is a slight kickup.... came out nice!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #59
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 913
What great work! The XS650 is one of the greatest most versatile dependable bikes EVER made.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #60
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Bare metal?

Nice job!!
Dis you spray the miracle clearcoat over the bare metal? Do you know if it will work on an alloy tank (XT500)?
Thanks and congrats on a great job!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote