Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Suddenly I wished I lived in Oviedo, a city I had not previously noticed.
When I first read the title I thought of Oviedo, FL (near Orlando) but knew Oviedo, FL would have had to progress a LOT further for this to be something they would take too.

This report is cool, would love to go there.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Osadabwa OP
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 196
Thumb Nope, not FLA!

Hi everyone,

Yeah, a couple of you from Florida might have thought I was referring to your state, but alas... I'm in the north of Spain. It is the single cleanest, safest, quaintest city I've ever been to. Would that also describe the other Oviedo?

ata! Bilbao eh? Just down the camino. We should meet up in San Sebastian for Basque food sometime. Although your statement about faves y sidrina is indeed correct, a man can tire of such hearty, Asturian miner food, especially when all he does is sit on his ass and ride a Vespa around the hillsides (which, I gather, is about as much as the Asturian miners will be doing soon... vaya crisis).

Anyway, good times on the old Vespa. This week I worked out that one of the clutch plates was ground to bits, which accounted for the problems I'd been having. Now that's fixed (it's awesome having a club with tools and a workshop etc) the bike is running smooth. The weatherman says it'll be sunny from tomorrow, so stay tuned... might have some more scenery and shenanigans to share soon.

Cheers
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,257
will you go to SS riding the vespa?

that could take you a couple of hours

and i wish north of spain could have florida weather

see you

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Osadabwa OP
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 196
Cool2 The next sunny Friday...

Nearly a month later, behold a sunny day! It had been nothing but gray skies, spitting clouds and cold humidity for all of January and the better part of February. But, when the sun did shine, she chose a Friday afternoon just in time for the weekly lunch loop.

I had been taking solo runs up Naranco to the big Jesus statue on the hill overlooking the city just to get out of the house, but this would be the first time I’d be able to keep the throttle open for a bit of a longer stretch and I was keen to see how the new clutch handled after the mini-overhaul. We all met at the workshop as usual, the spaniards talking loudly and gesturing, waiting for a few stragglers to arrive.

Above: Monchupichu’s fake mustache (but real eyebrows) and el Carpinteru’s imitation, Vespas at el Taller

We ran out through town to el Escamplero, a perennial favorite for its massive cachopos and sunny patio. For an exact replay of the shenanigans, company and food, see the posts above. It was Groundhog Day all over again with the vino y casera, cachopos al cecina, cafes y chupitos… a great lunch so big I couldn’t think about eating again for three days. And, although we’d left Oviedo around 3, there was still plenty of brilliant, warm sunshine, so we eventually got on the bikes.

And not 2 minutes into our ride, still in the parkinglot in fact, Orejitas decides to see if he can ride a wheelie, or throw a rooster tail, or something and before I know it, I’m watching him fall over in the gravel before me. I was laughing so hard, and he was so quick to jump to his feet, I almost didn’t get the photo. It was a special moment indeed.

Above: Orejitas “hey, it works on a quad”, Sneaky Pete on his chrome and black, and a bit of Asturian architecture somewhere near the river Nora

The riding was fantastic. All the roads in this part of Asturias are sinuous and narrow, and they pass through villages straight out of some old postcard. The sunshine had dried out the tarmac, so cornering at pace was exciting but not too exciting, and the smell of the green earth was invigorating. Once we got the wheels going for real, we didn’t stop again, so I took very few photos and just soaked it all in. I had the helmet cam rolling, but there was no battery in the box. Mecagoenarroz.

Above: A quick pitstop in Trubia with Sneaky Pete, el Abogodo, el Carpinteru y El Rey Pelayo

Fast forward to another Friday in Oviedo. This time, the weather was horrible. It was cold. It promised snow. The skies were gray, etc etc etc. But, a guy’s gotta eat. And on Fridays, a guy should ride to his meal. So, we all met at the new and improved Carta de Ajuste to calentar motores and set off for a little place famous for their Bacalao. Upon arrival, however, I gathered they were also famous for their snobbiness because they gave us the old “well, we don’t really have a table for you” routine, even though there were clearly available places. Once again, the sight of eight guys on Vespas horrifies the populace. Beautiful as she is, sometimes (to quote Jack Nicolson) “this town needs an enema”.

Above: El Carpinteru posing as usual, Orejitas on his Lambretta going as fast as she can go, el Catedral de Oviedo… your token piece of Asturian architecture for the day

We ended up a bit farther down the road and arrived with frozen fingers, but the sopa de ajo, fabada (yes, fabada again!), and sardine lunch more than warmed up the belly. It was a great way to say good bye to Asturias for now. I’m off to Africa next week. Doubt I’ll have time to take any more Vespa rides til next time.

Above: Bikes in a line, Vinnie at lunch, Orejitas and el Abogado with Rey Pelayo, y el Capitan

Hasta pronto, Clandestinos, y muchas gracias por todo!
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #20
125uCrazy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Great photos and Video, lovely to see a good selection of individual Vespas.

I like a lot
125uCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
Toscana1
Younger by the ride.

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know these classics are still loved and appreciated. As my stable of steeds grows and shrinks, the single constant is my '71 VLB. The best two wheels to grow old with.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was a lone amateur that built the Ark and a large team of professionals that built the Titanic." Dave Barry. '98 DR650SE, '71 Vespa 150 Sprint, '00 TTR225, '05 CRF250X
Toscana1 is offline   Reply With Quote