Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #46
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Oddometer: 146
small update

Hey guys

So I was making 100% sure everything was saweet for painting this weekend and i noticed an ever so slight dent in the tank above the right knee pad - we cant have that - so i filled it in, sanded high filled, sorted!

All done - much better!!

ooo got my paint!! I am so amped for this weekend, yew! I have the colour known as "electric orange" its a 4 stage paint. white/grey ground coat, then the orange, pearl, then the clear.

Ah yea...hahah, i got these pesky little fella's out of the frame, with help from dad :) didnt have the key for either of them, but with the key that i DID have for the ignition, it seemed to work?

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #47
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 322
Painting

I will be very interested in hearing how your painting experience goes and seeing some pictures. Sitting in my shop and watching the fire in the wood stove I had thought- that's the orange color I am looking for. About the same color as the heating elements on an electric heater. The electric orange color you are using comes very close to that but I have never seen it in real life, only pictures.

I struggle with proper application of even metallics and I understand it is even harder to get a uniform coat with pearls. Any feedback you can supply about your experience, especially with the pearl coat, will be much appreciated.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #48
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

So I got my body deadener painted in my tank tunnel and under my cowl....this should look after the tank....I am planning on putting it under the fairings over the wheels as well when I paint them.
I painted them before I put on my colour - rather the black get over sprayed rather than my orange get taken over. Although that didn't happen anyway. Tonight I will just go over the parts and get it all cleaned up...wipe it down. Then give it another clean with wax/grease remover and tack cloth before paint

Tank

Seat cowl

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
I will be very interested in hearing how your painting experience goes and seeing some pictures. Sitting in my shop and watching the fire in the wood stove I had thought- that's the orange color I am looking for. About the same color as the heating elements on an electric heater. The electric orange color you are using comes very close to that but I have never seen it in real life, only pictures.

I struggle with proper application of even metallics and I understand it is even harder to get a uniform coat with pearls. Any feedback you can supply about your experience, especially with the pearl coat, will be much appreciated.

Chuck
hey Chuck.

Yea mate - its going to be interesting.

The main tip the guy at the paint shop gave me in regards to the pearl was so not lay it on too thick and to just "cover" it...no need for more than one coat either.

But of course, as soon as i have completed it, grabbed some pictures I will let you guys know how i went.

the electric orange with the pearl, as you hit it from different angles in the sun, it has a slightly different shade of orange, looks MEAN. kind of like the fire flickering with the different heats

Its friday morning here, so in about 26/27 hours i will be turning the compressor on, and running some test layers of paint before hitting the tins!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #50
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

i did the paint!!

man so stoked the way it turned out eh - i HAVE got 2 runs in the clear though :( :( one on the back/bottom of the headlight bucket (not visible on when mounted to bike) and one on the left hand side of the seat cowl - but once again, that will be covered by the seat pad...so I'm fair stoked. Considering this is the first time i have ever done this before - let alone a 4 stage paint process including pearl.

Pictures time -

So this was my backyard paint booth, covered all around and on the floor with tarps - air tight

The Tank, Cowl and headlight bucket painted - oh so damn pretty, in the light it POPS!

...and the tank with its clothes on!

and a group shot of the kit!

next - is frame work. I am going to build a seat pan, some mounts for my cafe seat and make a "fender eliminator" - basically some aluminium mounted on the frame - this will give me the "clean look" but at the same time, covering my engine and under my seat from the mud etc being flicked up from the road.

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #51
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 322
Congrats on a great painting job! It looks really good in the pictures and I know they can't really capture the pearl effect.
Keep updating us on the progress.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #52
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Love the color.. and the spray booth is awesome!!
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #53
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Congrats on a great painting job! It looks really good in the pictures and I know they can't really capture the pearl effect.
Keep updating us on the progress.

Chuck
Thanks heaps Chuck - yea mate, need to get it out in the sun on a real shiny day and have a look then :) the time will come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Love the color.. and the spray booth is awesome!!
haha thanks mate - i was pondering hanging tarps under my car port in a little piss poor effort then Dad pulled the idea out for the gazeebo - man it worked so well, perfect space to do my job. loved it.

rock on guys!! \m/>

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #54
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
BTW, your ignition key is also your seat lock and steering lock key, they are all keyed alike or at least were when new.

Great work on the paint, I'm impressed, any pinstriping ?
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #55
rgears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Holy Orange Batman! Great paint choice! Looking pretty damn nice so far. Keep it up!
'82 CB750
'70 CL90 - Alive once more!
rgears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #56
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
BTW, your ignition key is also your seat lock and steering lock key, they are all keyed alike or at least were when new.

Great work on the paint, I'm impressed, any pinstriping ?
Haha Kai - indeed, you are 100% correct, but somewhere between, "this is brand new" and in pieces in my house....the keys have been changed. Its all good, I got them out in the end anyways. Bought a new lock for the steering lock so thats all new now :)

Well I was thinking of instead of pin stripping i would do thin/thick/thin stripes down the middle of the tank/seat/headlight to break it up a bit further?

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgears View Post
Holy Orange Batman! Great paint choice! Looking pretty damn nice so far. Keep it up!
Cheers mate!! I am super stoked eh, its going to POP when i get the black bikini fairing/front fender cranking....cant wait. yew!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #57
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Racing stripes

Thin/Thick/Thin sounds a lot like racing stripes. What color ? Black to tie in with the fairing and fender ?
I really got to give you kudos on the paint. You did an awesome job. Can't wait to see the finished bike.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #58
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Thin/Thick/Thin sounds a lot like racing stripes. What color ? Black to tie in with the fairing and fender ?
I really got to give you kudos on the paint. You did an awesome job. Can't wait to see the finished bike.
Hey Kai,

Thanks heaps for backing me up mate, really appreciate it, really happy with my effort eh - I love learning new stuff :)

Yea the stripes will be black, tie the whole lot it and break the orange up a bit

Just trying to figure out what dimensions i should use, thin/thick/thin

i was thinking 3 inch centre strip and 1/2 inch side stripes - thoughts?

do you have any suggestions?

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6

Hearse screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 09:59 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #59
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

which tail light to choose?

I was trying to find a flush mount round tail light - but its proving a little harder than i thought?

I found these two:

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #60
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,351
Love the color. This is going to be a grat looking cafe racer. Not to keen on the tail lights. Little to bobber/chopper.

You could do something like this.

VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote