User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #7576
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Bring me your tired, worn and broken.

Hey KLX250s owners, I am in the need of a set of used plastics. You know...when you've just bought a shiney new set of aftermarket shrouds, fenders and side covers and the old ones go in the trash? Please let me recycle it by putting it on a new KLX that a friend just aquired and needs a beat up set for it's work duty (hauling materials for a trail building crew). Then the OEM new stuff goes back on when the bikes returns to street or play mode. Thanks!
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #7577
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Hey KLX250s owners, I am in the need of a set of used plastics. You know...when you've just bought a shiney new set of aftermarket shrouds, fenders and side covers and the old ones go in the trash? Please let me recycle it by putting it on a new KLX that a friend just aquired and needs a beat up set for it's work duty (hauling materials for a trail building crew). Then the OEM new stuff goes back on when the bikes returns to street or play mode. Thanks!
Where do we get a shiny new set of aftermarket shrouds?
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #7578
goofus
Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Where do we get a shiny new set of aftermarket shrouds?
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...lx250-taf.html
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #7579
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofus View Post
I think those are still Kaw OEM, not aftermarket. Nice discount from most OEM sites, but still pricey.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #7580
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,397
If anyone is upgrading their KLX this winter, I've got a bunch of parts (IMS tank, suspension, wheels, rack, etc) in the flea market:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856784
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #7581
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockabillySlapMatt View Post
How do you adjust the float on this bike? Is it in the service manual?
Yes, chapter 2, Fuel System, 'Service Fuel Level Inspection' and 'Service Fuel Level Adjustment'. This is one of those things that, done yourself, you will be sure it's right. If you bring it somewhere and they tell you they did it right, you will really never know. I suspect this is the source of a lot of fueling issues on KLXs.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #7582
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Axle pinch bolt part number?

I was looking over a family members newly acquired 07 klx (neat bike!) and ran into a minor snag that I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on...

One of the axle pinch bolts has been snapped off leaving only three nuts on the remaining three bolts. I unscrewed the snapped bolt out of the fork and checked out bike bandit for a replacement. Wrong!! Parts fiche just shows a part number for the axle pinch bolt nut, but not the bolt...

Question:

Any one have a part number (or a compatible bolt) for the bolt that the axle pinch nut threads onto?
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #7583
CaptCapsize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2 View Post
I was looking over a family members newly acquired 07 klx (neat bike!) and ran into a minor snag that I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on...

One of the axle pinch bolts has been snapped off leaving only three nuts on the remaining three bolts. I unscrewed the snapped bolt out of the fork and checked out bike bandit for a replacement. Wrong!! Parts fiche just shows a part number for the axle pinch bolt nut, but not the bolt...

Question:

Any one have a part number (or a compatible bolt) for the bolt that the axle pinch nut threads onto?
You can buy studs at Ace Hardware, that is where I got mine. The studs are held in with Red Locktite. You must apply heat to soften the locktite to remove the broken stud. I used a heat gun to heat the end of the fork. I also wrapped a wet rag around the fork to prevent heating the fork oil and components. With vice grips to loosen the stud, it is not a bad job to DIY, Get a torque wrench for future pinch bolt tightening. Check the other studs. The PO of my 2007 had stretched two studs almost to the breaking point.
CaptCapsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #7584
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCapsize View Post
You can buy studs at Ace Hardware, that is where I got mine. The studs are held in with Red Locktite. You must apply heat to soften the locktite to remove the broken stud. I used a heat gun to heat the end of the fork. I also wrapped a wet rag around the fork to prevent heating the fork oil and components. With vice grips to loosen the stud, it is not a bad job to DIY, Get a torque wrench for future pinch bolt tightening. Check the other studs. The PO of my 2007 had stretched two studs almost to the breaking point.
aye aye captain welcome aboard (odometer 1) 1st quote is a helpful one!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #7585
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtnman View Post
And then there's the trick of SLOWLY pulling the choke out while cranking the engine. Works pretty good for me.
I prefer the "cover the exhaust hole" when cranking...thats after the shake method of course. The slow pull choke technique hasn't worked for me and the "empty the bowl" is too much of a PITA. Ive fired mine up in the low 20's.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #7586
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

^ But have you tried a vacuum on the exhaust?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #7587
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
I must be doing something wrong. I turn the gas on, pull out the choke, turn the key and it starts. Maybe living at 7700 feet helps. Dunno.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #7588
total_n00b
Bits. Bytes. Bikes.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I must be doing something wrong. I turn the gas on, pull out the choke, turn the key and it starts. Maybe living at 7700 feet helps. Dunno.
This also works for me at ~200 feet.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #7589
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_n00b View Post
This also works for me at ~200 feet.
me to at SL
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #7590
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
As long as it's above 30, it works for me at 600'. Below 30 she needs some coaxing.