Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #31
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
It was 72 here today. I almost had to wear a jacket and gloves. Almost.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #32
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,420
While I really liked my GS500E, the GS500F is a whole different bike. They made the bars lower and the pegs higher. I recently sold an '09 EX500 that I bought new in '09, because of the painful riding position. It made riding any distance almost unbearable. I only put 5,000 miles on it in 3 years. The SV is even worse, with a riding position close to a full blown supersport.

But besides riding position, there are other things to consider. Obviously both the EX and SV are a lot faster than the GS. If speed is your primary concern, the GS is not your bike. But it is far more reliable than the EX500 (did you know you cannot even remove the head from an EX without damaging it? And if you drop an EX, it can take as much as 30 seconds to get oil pressure back?) I always thought the EX500 was a solid motor, until joining ex-500.com. Turns out it has a lot of problems. The SV is obviously way more complicated, being a v-twin, it has 2 of almost everything compared to a parallel twin. Also much harder to service. The GS500 will not be much more powerful than an EX250 (though the bike itself is bigger, and will fit a larger rider better). But the upside of that is the engine is built like an anvil, and very mildly tuned. It is not highly stressed, and will last almost forever if taken care of. And for me, it's handling was just as good on curvy roads as the EX, without all the pain.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,359
I loved the GS500E so much that I bought it twice. It was my 6th bike and my 11th out of over 40 bikes owned. I love it. Great bike, no maintenance needed beyond the norm, dead reliable and easy fun bike to go riding on. Fast enough imo as well.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #34
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
While I really liked my GS500E, the GS500F is a whole different bike. They made the bars lower and the pegs higher.
From my experience, neither of these statements are true. The only change was from '89 to '90 when they went from clip-ons to standard bars. For the '01 and '02 in the US the bars were chrome instead of black. Its possible you had some experience with a modified GS. You hardly ever see a stock GS because parts are cheap and every part could be improved

Bar risers, different bars, different rearsets, different shocks or springs, and lowering/raising kits are all cheap for the GS500 (E or F) and make the bike work for anyone under 250 lbs. You can also change the seat but those can be spendy. Seriously head over to the gstwin forums and wiki for more than you ever wanted to know about the GS500.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
While I really liked my GS500E, the GS500F is a whole different bike. They made the bars lower and the pegs higher. I recently sold an '09 EX500 that I bought new in '09, because of the painful riding position. It made riding any distance almost unbearable. I only put 5,000 miles on it in 3 years. The SV is even worse, with a riding position close to a full blown supersport.

But besides riding position, there are other things to consider. Obviously both the EX and SV are a lot faster than the GS. If speed is your primary concern, the GS is not your bike. But it is far more reliable than the EX500 (did you know you cannot even remove the head from an EX without damaging it? And if you drop an EX, it can take as much as 30 seconds to get oil pressure back?) I always thought the EX500 was a solid motor, until joining ex-500.com. Turns out it has a lot of problems. The SV is obviously way more complicated, being a v-twin, it has 2 of almost everything compared to a parallel twin. Also much harder to service. The GS500 will not be much more powerful than an EX250 (though the bike itself is bigger, and will fit a larger rider better). But the upside of that is the engine is built like an anvil, and very mildly tuned. It is not highly stressed, and will last almost forever if taken care of. And for me, it's handling was just as good on curvy roads as the EX, without all the pain.
The E is the same bike from 89 to 2013. They just slapped a fairing on it in 04 (or so) for the US folks, and discontinued clipons in 90. Carbs became 3 circuit in 2004 I believe, every single other part is interchangable.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #36
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
there is a fella on gstwins with two 500s, both over 100k

id say they are pretty reliable...

i bought an 89 model for 800, rode it for a summer and 5k miles, and sold it for 800
great fun for a starter bike
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote