ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star
 
dyvking's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Maria, Ca
Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Perfect timing on this thread! I might do a Carrizo Plain ride this weekend or the next. Out of curiosity, is it possible to "stealth camp" in the Carrizo Plain area? Or am I better off looking for a developed campground?
There are only two 'developed' campgrounds inside the monument. But you are allowed to camp outside those two in some areas..essentially the hills. Open camping isn't permitted either on the Carrizo or Elkhorn plains (meaning the flat areas between the two ranges).

Camping rules: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/baker...o/camping.html

The whole place is 'pack it in, pack it out'. No garbage service inside the National Monument.
__________________
Walt
'05 R1200GS Dual Sporting the Carrizo Plain Central Coast Motorcycling Weather
"The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He's pretty sure you're fooked!"
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Jedi5150
Road Warrior
 
Jedi5150's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
There are only two 'developed' campgrounds inside the monument. But you are allowed to camp outside those two in some areas..essentially the hills. Open camping isn't permitted either on the Carrizo or Elkhorn plains (meaning the flat areas between the two ranges).

Camping rules: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/baker...o/camping.html

The whole place is 'pack it in, pack it out'. No garbage service inside the National Monument.
Thanks Walt, I checked out the link you provided. Nice to know that open camping is allowed in the foothills. That solves that problem nicely.

PS- I've been checking out your excellent website for the Carrizo Plains. You are quite the expert on the area. Can you suggest some good open camping (wild camping) spots that would offer good views at sunrise or sunset? I'm going to be taking some landscape photos, and would appreciate any suggestions. But on that note, I'm not much into taking panoramas from hilltops or ridges, looking down over valleys. I prefer to take photos from the standpoint of being in the valley, looking up towards ranges and mountains.

Jedi5150 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 10:55 PM
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentaco View Post
Who said anything about a cruiser? Op said he has a big twin and wants to ride dirt. I wouldn't call an 1150GS a cruiser.


J
Usually when people refer to "Big Twins", they are referring to cruisers.....I supposed it could be something else.

But cmon.... there's a magazine!

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,554
Gas

Just a note you can get gas at the Marina it is 10 miles past Pozo Saloon, otherwise you have to go into town.

Santa Magarita Lake Road.

They have bankers hours though. But I believe it is Methanol free gas cause its for boats.

Just a little more info.
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star
 
dyvking's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Maria, Ca
Oddometer: 3,255
I'd say go back up Padrone Canyon and look around there for a spot to camp. There are some decent spots back around Lawson Spring that could fit your requirements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Thanks Walt, I checked out the link you provided. Nice to know that open camping is allowed in the foothills. That solves that problem nicely.

PS- I've been checking out your excellent website for the Carrizo Plains. You are quite the expert on the area. Can you suggest some good open camping (wild camping) spots that would offer good views at sunrise or sunset? I'm going to be taking some landscape photos, and would appreciate any suggestions. But on that note, I'm not much into taking panoramas from hilltops or ridges, looking down over valleys. I prefer to take photos from the standpoint of being in the valley, looking up towards ranges and mountains.
__________________
Walt
'05 R1200GS Dual Sporting the Carrizo Plain Central Coast Motorcycling Weather
"The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He's pretty sure you're fooked!"
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,482
Is there gas available in New Cuyama???
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Is there gas available in New Cuyama???
My experience is it's hit or miss... not sure why.

Maricopa is no problem or Nipomo on the other side of 166
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Jedi5150
Road Warrior
 
Jedi5150's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
I'd say go back up Padrone Canyon and look around there for a spot to camp. There are some decent spots back around Lawson Spring that could fit your requirements.
Thanks again Walt!
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
scotts_4x
lookin for a ride
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Paso Robles
Oddometer: 42
Red hill road is off of hwy58 and goes south into the los Padres national forest. When you hit the bottom of the hill the road t's. Take a left and follow it around the campground and continue another 3ish miles to the intersection of pozo rd. Right onto pozo rd and out to the pavement 7-10ish miles. Road will t again make another left and follow in to pozo.

-scott
scotts_4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Off Limits
Banned
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Perfect timing on this thread! I might do a Carrizo Plain ride this weekend or the next. Out of curiosity, is it possible to "stealth camp" in the Carrizo Plain area? Or am I better off looking for a developed campground?
I'm sure you can stealth camp anywhere where no one can see you. It's big land out there.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
dman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 554
By the way, regarding gas in that area, if your Garmin GPS tells you there's Chevron fuel available in Fellows (off 33 between McKittrick and Taft), ignore it. Yeah there's Chevron .... a Chevron oil field. But no gas! DAMHIK. No gas in McKittrick either.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star
 
dyvking's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Maria, Ca
Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Is there gas available in New Cuyama???
Yes..there is gas in New Cuyama. Pricey.
Also out in Ventucopa area at the Pistacio farm
__________________
Walt
'05 R1200GS Dual Sporting the Carrizo Plain Central Coast Motorcycling Weather
"The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He's pretty sure you're fooked!"
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega
 
The Letter J's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
Yes..there is gas in New Cuyama. Pricey.
Also out in Ventucopa area at the Pistacio farm
The gas station in New Cuyama has been closed for several months now, I've been through 4 or 5 times in the last month most recently this past Sunday. Luckily we already knew that and were carrying fuel bottles for the rider in our group with the little tank, he still barely made it to Ventucopa. Fuel is still available in Ventucopa $4.29 for 87 at the pistachio store and there is another pump several miles further south that is priced similarly, but who can argue when you have no other options?
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #29
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
Yes..there is gas in New Cuyama. Pricey.
Also out in Ventucopa area at the Pistacio farm


I just called the Burger Barn in New Cuyama.... It's right behind the gas location.

She confirmed the gas has been CLOSED for about 6 months but should be re-opening soon !

Closest gas is The Pistachio store in VentuCopa or the Maricopa Shell...

Sometimes the Pistachio store has run out of gas too, so I don't plan on it.

Since I ride Elkhorn Grade Road more than Soda Lake Road, it's not much out of the way to hit Maricopa anyway.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star
 
dyvking's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Maria, Ca
Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
I just called the Burger Barn in New Cuyama.... It's right behind the gas location.

She confirmed the gas has been CLOSED for about 6 months but should be re-opening soon !

Closest gas is The Pistachio store in VentuCopa or the Maricopa Shell...

Sometimes the Pistachio store has run out of gas too, so I don't plan on it.

Since I ride Elkhorn Grade Road more than Soda Lake Road, it's not much out of the way to hit Maricopa anyway.
I stand corrected. I guess its been longer than I thought since I stopped for gas there.
__________________
Walt
'05 R1200GS Dual Sporting the Carrizo Plain Central Coast Motorcycling Weather
"The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He's pretty sure you're fooked!"
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014