'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Ouch!!! You get hit from behind? That rear is crumpled, but it looks like bent forks as well. I'd make something out of that. Too bad it's not here, I'm bored because I can't figure out what to do with myself between projects.
The previous owner (not with us anymore) hit a bank & flipped the bike up onto a field - it landed a fair way away on it's arse. I have stripped it down, got a new frame, sent the forks & front wheel away for straightening & that's where I'v left it. I keep tossing up between making a trackbike, bobber/streetracker or hardcore off road bike. Luckily i've got the mortagage, family & work to keep me from working on it
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
How did you fabricate the driveshaft?

In order to adapt the drivetrain to the longer wheelbase I had to increase the length of the driveshaft to match the new extended swingarm.

This was actually a rather simple and straight forward process. I simply found some hard steel stock the same diameter as the shaft to use for an extension, cut it to length, and then drilled two 5/16 holes centered in each end.

Then using the lathe I reduced the diameter of a central portion of the original driveshaft to a matching 5/16 diameter. I then cut the driveshaft in the center of this reduced diameter portion, and simply slid the reduced diameter sections into the holes at the ends of the extension.

Here's a pic:

Once in place I welded the three sections together at a very high heat for maximum penetration, with adequate clamping to prevent any warpage.

Then I put it back on the lathe, and removed any excess welding material that might of caused to to be out of balance, made sure it was in fact perfectly straight and then installed it the way you would any other drive shaft.
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
The previous owner (not with us anymore) hit a bank & flipped the bike up onto a field - it landed a fair way away on it's arse. I have stripped it down, got a new frame, sent the forks & front wheel away for straightening & that's where I'v left it. I keep tossing up between making a trackbike, bobber/streetracker or hardcore off road bike. Luckily i've got the mortagage, family & work to keep me from working on it
I hear you. I considered several possibilities. I initially was going to go the GS route but after I put the fork on I decided to redesign it.

This is actually kind of funny but the thing that made me change my mind was a bicycle I had just built. A fully geared aluminum chopper.

See any similarities?

I kid you not: One day I just leaned that bicycle against the R65 that was sitting outside my shop with the DRZ fork on it by chance. I did a double take and thought HHHHHhmmmmm....... this is something worth looking at...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,749

Nicely done! ...I've seen a couple of extensions, but nothing quite so... extended...!!

It will be interesting to see how it stands up, if it tends to bend/warp, etc... keep us posted! ( I work in boats, and we have some pod-drive boats with remote engines, and they have gone to fairly-large diameter torque tubes made up of carbon fiber...but they are not constrained by being within a case, either!)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Add me to the people who want to see it in it's off road stance - and some details of the setup.

Very nice build. Really showcases the beamer engine - cause, well, there's nothing else there!
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Nicely done! ...I've seen a couple of extensions, but nothing quite so... extended...!!It will be interesting to see how it stands up, if it tends to bend/warp, etc... keep us posted! ( I work in boats, and we have some pod-drive boats with remote engines, and they have gone to fairly-large diameter torque tubes made up of carbon fiber...but they are not constrained by being within a case, either!)
There you go.

I've done a lot of marine work and seen some shafts as well

This is nothing compared to what you see in boats. For instance in my shop I have a bronze propeller maybe 24 inches that probably weights fifty pounds that set up for an 1 1/2 inch diameter shaft, but the shaft it came off of was over ten feet long and hooked up to Detroit diesel about half the size of a small car. Add to that that it and it's twin was pushed a 70 thousand pound yacht through the ocean at speeds over 30 knots. Compared to that a 12+ inch 1/2 inch diameter shaft rolling under 700 pounds down the road doesn't have much of a stress work load. Of course the real beauty of the BMW shaft setup is the shock absorption cam system that will protect it from a sudden catastrophic overload. I'm not going to say it'll never fail but it if it does I'll be pretty surprised.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:

See any similarities?

I kid you not: One day I just leaned that bicycle against the R65 that was sitting outside my shop with the DRZ fork on it by chance. I did a double take and thought HHHHHhmmmmm....... this is something worth looking at...
My mum says I'm not allowed to play with you anymore
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,166
You know ... for a second ... I thought that was a good way to use the 'recalled' 19" snowflake wheel ... then I remembered we were talking about an R65 with 18" rims.

Now I just think it's a good way to use the 18" snowflake. That is hilarious.

Ride on my good man. RIDE ON.

Quote:
See any similarities?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
You know ... for a second ... I thought that was a good way to use the 'recalled' 19" snowflake wheel ... then I remembered we were talking about an R65 with 18" rims. Now I just think it's a good way to use the 18" snowflake. That is hilarious. Ride on my good man. RIDE ON.
That rim was damaged in the wreck, but you should see the Metzler up close, it's got a bulge the size of half a walnut in the right sidewall at the rim. Not that it matters on a bicycle.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
That rim was damaged in the wreck, but you should see the Metzler up close, it's got a bulge the size of half a walnut in the right sidewall at the rim. Not that it matters on a bicycle.
That depends on how long and steep that down hill is........
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote