Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
At least in the LA area, cops seem pretty easy on motorcyclists. The last time I got pulled over the cop asked me why I did what I just did. I told him that I had no excuse, that it was stupid mistake, and he let me go.
unless you're on a sportbike, down here in LA proper they pretty much just look the other way - and even then they pretty much look the other way.

They never even look twice at the 1150 - its too ugly.....they think they are going to turn to stone
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Ha!

I thought something was going on.

I live in Indiana and just started riding again last spring.

I was pulled over twice in 2012.

I have been pulled once in a car - since 1985.

Hmmm.

No ticket either time. I think they pulled me over because I had a helmet on.
In Indiana it seems not many people wear helmets (I refer to them as "squids").

So maybe they want to see what a real helmet and real riding gear looks like up close? :)
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
Mike_a
aspiring adventurer

Oddometer: 29
California cops seem to expect anyone riding anything other then a harley to be a trouble maker.

The only time I've ever been pulled over was on my motorcycle. It was about 11pm as I'm going up a rather steep hill on the main street through town on my dinky 200. I can only go 35 in a 40 zone, well this car gets closer and closer, I keep frantically looking back till there about 3 feet off my tire. I see a street coming up, flick on my blinker and duck in real quick. A second later blue lights pop on, it was a cop that almost ran me over, great. I pull over, paper work is handed over and after a detailed going over, he made me move my gloves so he could look at my speedometer, he gives me a ticket for the only thing he can, the amber cover on my turn signal is partially missing. I somehow refrained from giving him a peice of my mind about riding me so close and fishing.

Mike_a screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:01 PM Reason: I swear I can spell...
Mike_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Indeed. We believe in proper grammar and not marrying cousins.
Really? Don't you mean "correct grammar"?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #20
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Really? Don't you mean "correct grammar"?
Proper. definition 1.1: "Suited or acceptable to the purpose or circumstances; fit, suitable. "

Also, defition 3: "Accurate, strictly applied."

source: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/proper
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
Ha!

I thought something was going on.

I live in Indiana and just started riding again last spring.

I was pulled over twice in 2012.

I have been pulled once in a car - since 1985.
Maybe you ride faster on a bike than you do in your car.

Also, random events tend towards a sort of "clumping". (poisson distribution)
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I think you're overreacting to things. Where I live, when I had my stock pipes on the KTM, I was doing about 80 down a city street, speed limit 35, before I noticed him backed into a driveway looking down, and he never even looked up, even as I barked the front tire with the brake.

But really, since I don't do 150 mph every day to work any more, or 4 gear wheelies down every block, they don't even look at me. It could be the 20,000 (estimated) illegal aliens driving in this city of 100,000 though. They've got other shit to worry about than me.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I sincerely doubt that California can solve it's budget problems by ticketing riders.

A couple of years ago I got pulled over on 101 by a pair of CHP in a car. They gave me a verbal warning and a short lecture on how motorcycles are hard to see and potentially dangerous. Just one experience but, at least for me, it dispelled the notion that they're all out on revenue patrol.

duck screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 01:43 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Up here in Washington, it has gone the other direction, I see virtually no traffic enforcement by the State or city police except for a few select locations. Even commercial vehicle enforcement is noticeably down.
Unless you've got Illinois plates, then watch out! :)
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Sure, my Momma ain't never bean stopped, butt she's purdie damn slow too.
Ive been riding streetbikes since 1974,never once have I been harassed in any way,Ive gotten tickets for going too fast but that's what happens when you go too fast sometimes,you learn where to go fast and where to go slow.
This whole rant about harassment of bikers is mental masturbation.
Another goofball ADV thread.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I think you're overreacting to things. Where I live, when I had my stock pipes on the KTM, I was doing about 80 down a city street, speed limit 35, before I noticed him backed into a driveway looking down, and he never even looked up, even as I barked the front tire with the brake.

But really, since I don't do 150 mph every day to work any more, or 4 gear wheelies down every block, they don't even look at me. It could be the 20,000 (estimated) illegal aliens driving in this city of 100,000 though. They've got other shit to worry about than me.
Doing 80 on a city street.............were you wearing flip-flops and a tank top as well?
I see the college kids doing that stuff all the time. Somehow most survive.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,816
I almost never see bikes pulled over around Central California. I've been told by my CHP friend they don't like to pull bikes over because of the high rates of riders trying to evade police, which leads to dead riders over minor traffic violations. I kind of think that's bull, because that will lead to a situation where people with fast vehicles think they're above the law. (only I should be above the law, the rest of you FF's need to comply ).

I have only been been pulled over once on the bike. I came out of a gas station driveway about 20 feet from a stop sign, but I was focused on the highway on ramp 100 feet away and blew through it. The CHP was waiting at that intersection to get on the highway, so he had me pulled over as soon as we reached the top. He just wanted to make sure I was alert, because it was about 115 degrees F that day and traffic was heavy. He let me go with no ticket.

I have met CHP that were all business, but never a genuine dickhead. Same with Sheriffs. City PD vary a bit more, and can over react sometimes. It is not uncommon in my little foothill town for people to get arrested for 'drunk in public' standing outside a bar waiting for a taxi. I have no idea how people get away with leaving bars in a vehicle. That just seems like you're asking for it. I drink at home, walk to bars, or take turns as designated driver with my wife. I never get drunk enough to stumble in a public place, because it makes you a target for opportunistic bad guys. The only exception would be Adv events in campgrounds where crawling back to the tent is considered a good end to the evening.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote