Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #2836
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Real motocross boots are tough to ride in imo; I owned some and found myself dragging the rear break by accident (no feeling with the boots) - not a good idea in gravel
Yup. I had the Gaerne SG12's and sold them. I could barely walk in them, nor feel the controls. Two rides, and that was it. I often wear the Gaerne Balance Oiled trials boots, but for trail riding they do not have adequate ankle support. After having my bike land on my foot during a getoff, I won't wear them on tougher trails any more. Ow. Sidi Adventure and Sidi Discovery boots are two other options a lot of people seem to like.

With regard to confidence, for me it comes and goes. This past year, I've improved my dirt riding a lot. But I biffed on my way up Webster Pass and screwed up my shoulder. I'm having rotator cuff surgery soon. And when I get back on the bike in Spring, I'll have to take some time on some easier stuff to get my head back in it. I don't know anyone who rides dirt who hasn't hurt themselves. The measure of your love of riding is whether or not you're able to get back on the bike and keep building skills. Every time you push yourself to do something that is scary, and execute it, you build that confidence. Lack of confidence can result in getting hurt worse.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #2837
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Hi ladies -

Just getting caught up on this thread. I have a comment about the boots - I actually bought Gitana's SG-12's and have sometimes wondered if they were overkill. Weekend before last I Rick and I were out riding what turned out to be pretty technical single track with a lot of rocks and narrow trails and steep slopes. I was trying to get my poor little DR up this one face, Rick was pushing from behind and my bike kicked left and trapped my leg behind me and against a large rock. I am convinced the boots saved my ankle from an injury. I am also convinced my Sidi Adventures that I wear for big bike forest service road rides, in spite of their good ankle support, would not have saved me from an ankle injury.

Gear is very, very important. If you are riding technical single track and forest service roads learn to ride with the motocross boots. You're right, you cannot "feel" the controls but you can learn to know where they are, you can learn to not ride the brake and to be able to control your pressure on the rear brake. I didn't even get a bruise through the boots even though the pressure on my leg/ankle was enormous. To me they are very key equipment.

As for the pressure suit - I don't like the "pressure" of the pressure suit. They feel constricting to me. I wear my chest armor with shoulder and bicep armor, along with separate elbow armor. I have had some pretty dramatic crashes and have had my front end rebound on me causing my handlebars to hit me in the chest (not uncommon, BTW, for motocross activities) and my armor has protected me well. So whether you wear a pressure suit or a chest protector, just make sure you wear something.

Finally, on confidence. This is my first year on a dirt bike after riding large dual sports for several years. Going down steep hills used to scare the crap out of me - I would get so scared I would stop moving and I would then fall over - it's really hard to stay upright when you are barely moving! Not anymore. The change started to happen when Rick asked me how I would go down something on a mountain bike (I used to race mountain bikes, years and years ago) and something clicked for me that I have been building on ever since. As others have mentioned, I oftentimes just pretend I am confident going into something - I tell myself I can do it - I get stubborn and refuse to quit and always, always remind myself that I am doing this for FUN! I have made such strides this year I have actually outgrown my DR350, which I figured would be good for a few years. The suspension just isn't adequate for some of what we are riding so I'm looking to upgrade. I suspect by next summer I will have a KTM 350 in the garage.

Maybe next year I will run into some of you one the trails or maybe we can organize a women's ride here in Colorado!!!
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #2838
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
Hi ladies -
Maybe next year I will run into some of you one the trails or maybe we can organize a women's ride here in Colorado!!!
I want to come back to Colorado to ride (as long as I can bring my man too). I had so much fun at Breckenridge last year!

Very nice write-up btw - great great advice.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #2839
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
I don't ride dirt but if you go back to Breckneridge, PM me and I'll meet you for a beverage or something.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #2840
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Nice to see so many women adv riders - and to see there are a few nearby in Nederland! I've been riding for about 4 years now and to celebrate my upcoming decade b'day, I upgrade my thumper to this:

I'm hoping the weather Wednesday is nice enough for another 'last of the season' ride. Hope to ride with some of you sometime!
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #2841
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
btw, have you seen this thread? It has some really good tips for longer trips.

Not sure if there are any other "women specific" threads. Anybody? Bueller?

maybe we should get a womens sub forum - that would make it easier to keep track of stuff like this.

btw - I did contact the mods last year about a women's sub-forum, they don't think there is enough interest. That's why we started this little group on fb
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #2842
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,194
FB ... Sorry I'll never be there...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #2843
Cuttle
me? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
FB ... Sorry I'll never be there...

sry... you can just set it up to join us..
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #2844
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

nope can't do it...
I'll just have to catch up with ya'll here... *sigh*

Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #2845
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
btw - I did contact the mods last year about a women's sub-forum, they don't think there is enough interest. That's why we started this little group on fb
I pushed the button I think I joined the group - - - I'm a FB dork, I just don't get it.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #2846
Cuttle
me? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I pushed the button I think I joined the group - - - I'm a FB dork, I just don't get it.

yes you did - to see the post just click on the group name (left side on your home page)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #2847
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Oh, pick me pick me!! Ummm, I mean, can I join I pushed the little button too
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #2848
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Just when it looked like I could get the bike out ... it snowed! Now back to waiting for the road to melt again. With the winds we've been having in Nederland that might not take too long. Sigh. waiting... waiting...
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #2849
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraunbound View Post
Just when it looked like I could get the bike out ... it snowed! Now back to waiting for the road to melt again. With the winds we've been having in Nederland that might not take too long. Sigh. waiting... waiting...
That kept happening to me for the last month in Breckenridge but now that I'm back in Houston for the next couple of months I can ride. Speaking of which, off to the gym for a swim as soon as I finish my email and a couple of computer tasks. ;-)
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #2850
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

we have snow too