ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
Maybe I'll see you on the DS route Grant. It will be good to see you again. I will probably be on my WR450 trying to keep up with Ladybug on her DR200.
Sweet, we'll be on the little bike brigade...I'll hopefully have the Honduh street legal by then.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Sweet, we'll be on the little bike brigade...I'll hopefully have the Honduh street legal by then.
I didn't think you had to do anything but write a check to get a plate over there in Idaho.
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
My Desert 100 training has begun, and after Saturday's ride at Tahuya, I'm painfully aware of the fact that I'm still riding the short bus...

I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling and mountain biking, daily core exercises, enough sleep, not so much booze, and riding the KTM every chance I get. What do you guys do about "swamp ass"? I don't think baby powder is going to be enough when you're scooting around for hours in sandy, wet drawers.. Also got some hand blisters on Saturday. Favorite remedies for swamp-ass and blisters?
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
My Desert 100 training has begun, and after Saturday's ride at Tahuya, I'm painfully aware of the fact that I'm still riding the short bus...

I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling and mountain biking, daily core exercises, enough sleep, not so much booze, and riding the KTM every chance I get. What do you guys do about "swamp ass"? I don't think baby powder is going to be enough when you're scooting around for hours in sandy, wet drawers.. Also got some hand blisters on Saturday. Favorite remedies for swamp-ass and blisters?
I don't tend to have many ass problems on a single day ride but with regards to your blisters you might look at your cockpit ergos? Nice straight bars (to get your elbows out and back and chest into the equation, rather than just your forearms) that are tall enough such that you are able to stand comfortably? Other than the usual check of your grips and gloves, low, swept back bars could be hell on your hands. Lots of other guys in here with a lot more experience than I, hopefully they'll chime in.

Regarding fitness I'm using the D100 as a goal as well. First time I've ever done that, but I've noticed an acceleration of softness after turning the corner at 40.

Edit: Sweet shot by the way! I couldn't see it when I logged in over lunch at work.

K_N_Fodder screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:20 PM
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
training and blister advice

I'll be doing my 3rd D100 this year, here's some advise for the non superman I learned the hard way.
  • Don't go over board at the Saterday poker run. It's easy to get carried away
  • A little atheletic tape on the hands under your gloves will stop the blisters
  • Cycling shorts good, cotten underpants bad
  • Don't try to go all out. Yes it's a race, but it's a marathon not a sprint. I placed 203rd (just over 5 hours +45minutes in line at the end of the race) out of 450 finishers, there were another 200+ DNFs.
  • Stay seated as much as you can save your arm and leg muscles. Unfortualy this doesn't help with the sore back side issues but after 2 or 3 hours standing on the pegs without a rest my body starts to fail.
  • A stearing damper will help your upper body stay relaxed and last the day.
  • Remember finishing this event is a victory if you don't want to be a DNF save some for lap two!
  • Dress light, it's cold at the start line, but you'll warm up fast. Base layer, armor, jersey and you'll be good.
  • Stay hydraited, wear a camel back or similar, I put a PB&J in the pack too just in case I get stuck out on coarce all day
  • Don't go crazy packing tools, leave the tire irons and spare parts at home, maybe just a multi tool, and spark plug for 2 strokes
  • Fill your tank to the top. If you have a 4 gallon tank fill it, at the 1/2 way pit fill it again.
  • Last piece of advice. If they say 10 minutes until the start be ready to go at any second. Many folks desided to have a pre race pee and litterally got cought with thier cocks in thier hand when the canon went off. (just to be clear, this didn't happen to me)

redbastard screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 07:00 PM
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,285
hi, anyone know appox miles of iron man poker run?
broke my shoulder at mattawa 30 yrs ago, long ride out after that. went several times,
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #22
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
two laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile View Post
hi, anyone know appox miles of iron man poker run?
broke my shoulder at mattawa 30 yrs ago, long ride out after that. went several times,
I did the iron man poker run 2010 and 2011, it was two 35-40 mile laps. I'd be surprised if it was much differant this year.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Thumb

www.prweb.com/releases/2013/1/prweb10374107.htm

FYI, training is being offered for those unsure and for the newer riders.
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
I'll be doing my 3rd D100 this year, here's some advise for the non superman I learned the hard way.
  • Last piece of advice. If they say 10 minutes until the start be ready to go at any second. Many folks desided to have a pre race pee and litterally got cought with thier cocks in thier hand when the canon went off.

God Damnit!
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,045
I've watched the D100 come and go for years without participating. Thinking about checking it off the bucket list this year (finally). Got a few rider buds half talked into it. Heading out on a ride with them tomorrow and will see if I can finish them off.
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,694
The Premier Off-Road Motorcycle Event of the NW Brings in Puget Sound Safety Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post

little more specific.

On the weekend of April 6-7 the Stumpjumpers Motorcycle Club (SJMC) will host the 43rd annual Desert 100 race and dual sport weekend event. Once again they will fire the cannon and raise the bar with PSSOR (Puget Sound Safety-Off Road). The Pacific Northwest’s premier motorcycle school, PSSOR, will be providing their expertise and training to the toughest customer; the adventure and heavyweight dual sport riders.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #27
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
I've watched the D100 come and go for years without participating. Thinking about checking it off the bucket list this year (finally). Got a few rider buds half talked into it. Heading out on a ride with them tomorrow and will see if I can finish them off.
It's definitely a ride to take seriously, but at the same time, go out there, ride your own ride, and finish it. You're a winner just for doing that.

At least participate in the Saturday events and take in the awesome-ness of the camper/RV city and watch the start of Sunday's race.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #28
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post

Sounds cool but 200 bucks is quite a chunk to spend for wheelie tips. Anybody have any experience with PSSOR? Is it worth it?
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
Grantizzle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Sounds cool but 200 bucks is quite a chunk to spend for wheelie tips. Anybody have any experience with PSSOR? Is it worth it?
I took their beginner course in Roy and really enjoyed it, but $200 is a big chunk to drop for a morning of instruction. I was hoping it would be around the $50 or $100 mark.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #30
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

They are providing a service and trying to run an American business. Those bills don't pay themselves. Be glad this service is being offered.