ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #20251
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Cry Sob

Sad day ... Goodbye ole Max. I really loved that bike. Hopefully he's in good hands.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #20252
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
So I'm home from Mexico, and the weather is beautiful here. Not sure what you guys were fussing about last week.

Well anyway, it seems like no progress on my bike. Shit I leave for a week and the bike is still sitting waiting to get the work done. It's like everything stopped while I was gone. It sounds now like they're going to total the bike according to Morton's, but I guess we will see what Allstate comes back with.

Okay thanks for letting me vent...now back to work on the Baby GS...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #20253
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Misc non-motorcycle related items for sale

- Just an update on my list o' stuff for sale.
Sold the Banjo. The DRZ fund is officially under way!

I promise I won't keep bumping this. Maybe just for a week and then I'll go the CL way.
Thanks

JBL MR925 Speakers
- Yamaha Audiogram 3 2 Channel USB interface
- Akai DPS 12 Digital Personal Recorder
- DOD 265 Direct Box
- Makie Micro Series 1202 VLZ Mixer
- Ross MTA 1200 Amplifier
- Yorkville EQ15S Equalizer
- Digitech Studio S200 Digital Effects Processor
- Lexicon Alex Digital Effects Processor
- Alesis DM5 Drum Module
- (2) Behringer Composer MDX 1200 Compressors
- Raxxess Rolling Gig Rack
- Sennheiser e650 Drum Mic
- Tama Rockstar Drums w/ Rack Mount Hardware
- Various Ziljian Cymbals
- Various Cymbal Stands
- Cymbal Case
- Fender Squire P-Bass (Left Handed)
- Gibson Les Paul Bass (Active Pick-Up, 1994)
- K Banjo *SOLD*
- Student Acoustic Guitar
- Student Accordion
- Bundy Trumpet
- 2 Cuicas
- Mic Stands
- Mic and Coax Cables
- Road Case
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #20254
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
- Just an update on my list o' stuff for sale.
Sold the Banjo. The DRZ fund is officially under way!
I just passed this list to my music people....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #20255
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,978
I know it is a bit mild out, but I still had to do a double take at the guy on 64 this evening riding his sport bike in shorts and sneakers.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #20256
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
The DRZ is breathing fire again, and running better than it has since I got it! For those who are interested, here's the solution I eventually troubleshot my way towards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
To effectively clean the carbs, you should really pull the bowl, the jets, and the pilot mixture needle (watch for a small o-ring and washer in the pocket under the spring). Clean each of the jets orfices, and flush each circuit out thoroughly with spray carb cleaner and blast out each circuit with compressed air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
+1 on Guys advice, you're going to need to go deeper and really get it clean. not surprised with the years vs miles on that thing.

on the disintegrated filter, it could just be original and past it's date or sometimes people use cleaners that don't play well with their filter. If you use no-toil cleaner for instance, stick with their brand of filter too or some will get crumbly like that.

oh it can be frustrating all right.. last week I drained my stock tank and put on a bigger aftermarket one and new petcock. Simple right? After some minor clearance issues with the non-stock pumper carb finally got it all worked out, bolted on and plumbed to carb. Used a different gas can - apparently old lawn mower gas from last summer. Hard to start and I could barely keep it running. Spent a couple hours checking and blaming everything under the sun before finally guessing right.

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I did go pretty deep last time (cleaned all jets and passageways), but for the sake of thoroughness I took the cap, spring, vacuum diaphragm, etc. out too the 2nd go-round. The carbs were basically spotless. I've done quite a bit of carb work on my Ninja 250 so I was pretty sure I did everything right. Finding nothing unusual except for an oily diaphragm, I got to thinking...

When I cleaned the carbs out initially on my lunch break I was just trying to do it as quickly as possible before going back to work. So instead of going to the store and buying some proper carb cleaner, I just used what I had laying around, which was "Intake and throttle body cleaner--and lubricant." I had already suspected the spark plug because the poor bike went from running well except for a shitty idle to not firing AT ALL. So I checked to see the plug condition... Pretty poor, looked like it had varnish on it.

Did a spark test after making sure the petcock was flowing and the carb bowl was filling, all but eliminating fueling as the source of the problem. The sparkplug was getting gas on it as well, another good sign. Well the plug wasn't sparking for shit. I cleaned it off with alcohol to dissolve any oily stuff and then sanded away as much varnish as I could with 1000 grit paper. Did a spark test again. Intermittent but some weak sparking. Reinstalled and got nothing still.

So I said fuck it and bought a brand new plug since the one in the bike was 10 years old. Did another spark test and got a rock-steady blue spark. Screwed her down, turned her over and she started up immediately. Took it for a test ride around my work and it idles wonderfully with full power on hard acceleration.

I absolutely HAD to get the poor girl back up and running today. Not being able to ride on a day like today just about made me want to put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger

But all's well that ends well. Lesson learned!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #20257
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I just passed this list to my music people....
Thanks a bunch for that.

ddlewis' post reminded me of a time I got an old snowblower from my dad. It was about 25 years old (Montgomery Wards brand!) and had been sitting for about seven years in his hanger in MN. I asked him if I could have it and he said "sure, but I doubt you'll get it started".
It started on the second pull.
They don't make gas like that anymore!

Dr WhipIt screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:12 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #20258
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
The DRZ is breathing fire again, and running better than it has since I got it! For those who are interested, here's the solution I eventually troubleshot my way towards..

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I did go pretty deep last time (cleaned all jets and passageways), but for the sake of thoroughness I took the cap, spring, vacuum diaphragm, etc. out too the 2nd go-round. The carbs were basically spotless. I've done quite a bit of carb work on my Ninja 250 so I was pretty sure I did everything right. Finding nothing unusual except for an oily diaphragm, I got to thinking...

When I cleaned the carbs out initially on my lunch break I was just trying to do it as quickly as possible before going back to work. So instead of going to the store and buying some proper carb cleaner, I just used what I had laying around, which was "Intake and throttle body cleaner--and lubricant." I had already suspected the spark plug because the poor bike went from running well except for a shitty idle to not firing AT ALL. So I checked to see the plug condition... Pretty poor, looked like it had varnish on it.

Did a spark test after making sure the petcock was flowing and the carb bowl was filling, all but eliminating fueling as the source of the problem. The sparkplug was getting gas on it as well, another good sign. Well the plug wasn't sparking for shit. I cleaned it off with alcohol to dissolve any oily stuff and then sanded away as much varnish as I could with 1000 grit paper. Did a spark test again. Intermittent but some weak sparking. Reinstalled and got nothing still.

So I said fuck it and bought a brand new plug since the one in the bike was 10 years old. Did another spark test and got a rock-steady blue spark. Screwed her down, turned her over and she started up immediately. Took it for a test ride around my work and it idles wonderfully with full power on hard acceleration.

I absolutely HAD to get the poor girl back up and running today. Not being able to ride on a day like today just about made me want to put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger

But all's well that ends well. Lesson learned!
I'm not trying to preach...but the first thing I do when I get a used bike is:
Change-
Oil
Air filter
Spark plugs
Lube & adjust chain
Bleed & clean brakes

It's just a price added automatically to the cost and time set aside for every purchase. This way you find things you may not have seen or noticed at time of purchase. This also gives you piece of mine that it won't breakdown on your first couple rides.

Enjoy the bike, it's a nice one. Maybe one of these days my bike problems, will be resolved and be able to tear up some trails with you.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #20259
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
I'm not trying to preach...but the first thing I do when I get a used bike is:
Change-
Oil
Air filter
Spark plugs
Lube & adjust chain
Bleed & clean brakes

It's just a price added automatically to the cost and time set aside for every purchase. This way you find things you may not have seen or noticed at time of purchase. This also gives you piece of mine that it won't breakdown on your first couple rides.

Enjoy the bike, it's a nice one. Maybe one of these days my bike problems, will be resolved and be able to tear up some trails with you.
Most definitely, on a 10 year old 1500mi bike I definitely expected to do some maintenance. The brakes need to be bled pretty badly actually but I'll get to that. An oil change is on the list as well along with some clean coolant. After riding home in the rain 3 hours I definitely gave the chain a good lube, but it's still in adjustment. This particular problem was more my own fault than the bikes, kinda shot myself in the foot trying to save time. I figured the plug was still good because of the mileage but I guess it's a cheap enough part that it probably wouldn't hurt to swap out anyway.

Between the horrible cold and rain, my full-time work schedule and doing things with the missus (plus having no garage to work in) I just haven't had time for much. She did get a pretty good clean and wax recently though. But anyway you can rest assured that the rest of the tune-up stuff is on the list. Going to check the valves too, will be nice having half as many to deal with. But I haven't done shim-under-bucket valves before so it might be a bit more challenging in that regard.

Anyway, the bike is solid enough to daily drive and have some fun with. I know you've made mention of some of your bike's problems in previous posts, but what exactly is keeping it off the road again? I'm pretty handy with tools overall despite my occasional (and usually minor) fuckups, so let me know if I can ever help you with what you're working on. Having an extra pair of hands can make all the difference sometimes. I'd love to take a ride sometime for sure.

Wow, that was ridiculously long. Forgive me.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #20260
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Saw a Vstrom rider turn onto Old Gun earlier today. Anyone on here?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #20261
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Saw someone on a beautiful old Yamaha 350 R5 (I think), orange, on Midlo Tpke at about 4:30 today. Had cafe bars. Looked great. Looked like this but with bars so low, you could rest your chin on the speedo!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #20262
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Speaking of ugly VStroms, here's what followed me home today:

It occurred to me that Pete was able to post this without anyone making a comment. I know a motorcycle is just a gateway drug to more motorcycles but I'm beginning to think older Connie's are just a gateway drug to used vstroms. It is almost as if you've ever owned a pre 08 ninja 250 or an older Connie you have a DL in your future.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #20263
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 519
The banjo has been dis assembled, cleaned, reassembled, restrung and promptly claimed by my 12 year old as his.

He showed no interest before with my banjo but tonight he was all over the "new" one and i had him doing forward rolls while I fingered some chords and he played a little tune.

Thanks to Charles for posting up the music stuff.

Anyone local play any blue grass?

I am rank beginner but would love to get together and Jam.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #20264
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
I know you've made mention of some of your bike's problems in previous posts, but what exactly is keeping it off the road again? I'm pretty handy with tools overall despite my occasional (and usually minor) fuckups, so let me know if I can ever help you with what you're working on. Having an extra pair of hands can make all the difference sometimes. I'd love to take a ride sometime for sure.

Wow, that was ridiculously long. Forgive me.
Well where should I start...

1200GS- still waiting to see if the insurance company is going to total it after hitting the deer two weeks ago...so it sits at Morton's...

650GS- is a project bike that I bought three weeks ago to fix after it was in a crash. All the parts are in and I will start putting it back together tomorrow night.

KLR250- I'm just to fat to ride that any more, but I did put a new Cobra pipe, main jet, pilot jet, adjusted the mixture screw out a bit, and cut a BIG whole in air for more air. Nicole road it the weekend before I hit the deer & she said it made a huge difference in power. I don't think it was enough to haul my fat ass around.

It's not an issue with wrenching or parts. Now it's getting the insurance company to make a decision and for me to find time to put the 650 back together.

Thanks for the offer.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #20265
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Well where should I start...

1200GS- still waiting to see if the insurance company is going to total it after hitting the deer two weeks ago...so it sits at Morton's...

650GS- is a project bike that I bought three weeks ago to fix after it was in a crash. All the parts are in and I will start putting it back together tomorrow night.

KLR250- I'm just to fat to ride that any more, but I did put a new Cobra pipe, main jet, pilot jet, adjusted the mixture screw out a bit, and cut a BIG whole in air for more air. Nicole road it the weekend before I hit the deer & she said it made a huge difference in power. I don't think it was enough to haul my fat ass around.

It's not an issue with wrenching or parts. Now it's getting the insurance company to make a decision and for me to find time to put the 650 back together.

Thanks for the offer.
Ah man, you'd better be ultra-fat if you're using that as an excuse not to ride the KLR.

I went out for a short ride downtown to enjoy the air and a VCU cop wrote me a ticket for standing up on the footpegs. Reckless driving of all things! Lord have mercy... Just when a guy thinks he's caught a break.