Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #391
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
JonnyCash: If I've learned one thing from this project, it's that patience is a virtue. There's ice on the ground and salt everywhere - not the ideal conditions for taking the old girl out on her first ride. I may try starting it, but unless I can actually go for a ride, it makes little difference to me at this point. It will be ready for the Spring, and that's all that really matters.

Enzo: I won't bore you with details, as you can do a search and learn more than you ever wanted to if it interests you enough. But basically, the API lettering system (SH, SG, SJ, SN, etc) indicates to some degree the content in the oil. Newer oils have reduced the content of certain additives, specifically of great interest, ZDDP. They have done so to better accommodate modern engines with catalytic converters, however, the zinc content in ZDDP is desirable for our old dinosaur engines. The "SN" rating of the oil I bought could mean it has much less zinc content than another oil. I'm sure the engine wouldn't self implode if I used it, but why cut corners or do something to cause worry now?

As for the shows, I may try to hit one or two. The problem is, with a four year old daughter and # 2 on the way, I don't have a whole hell of a lot of free time. I would rather spend the time I do have to myself riding than kicking tires. Still, if it works out, I may ride out to that Collinsville gathering.

mattsz: Don't worry, she'll run! If not right away, then I'll just keep fiddling until she does. Nothing has come as easy as I expected in this project (which is really more of an indicator of my naivety than the condition of the bike itself), so I truly don't expect her to fire up and settle into a perfect idle on the first try. But I won't complain if she does!

photorider: Thanks for the kind words, I truly appreciate them!

georgesgiralt: Thanks for the helpful suggestions, those all make a lot of sense to me. You've offered a lot of great suggestions over the past few months, thanks for reading along!

I plan to get the proper oil and fill the fluids today.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #392
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

It's going to get up to 70 today in the STL area. Perfect weather for a long awaited first start up and ride....

And I'm on a plane to LA for work, where the temperature is currently lower than in STL! It should be back in the twenties by the time I return home.

Looks like it's just not my week!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #393
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I ... mounted it under the hose clamp and tightened until it was secure. Seemed to work just fine.

That's as it should be except the rubber grommet fits inside a clip, on the inboard side of the left headlamp ear, which you're not using now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter
With short bars like yours, the brake and clutch cables work nicely when crossing to the opposite side after exiting the perches.
For example, the brake cable exits the handlebar perch and crosses the the left of the headlamp bucket before diving between it and the headlamp ear, and then crossing back to the right fork leg where your wire clip is secured by the gaiter's hose clamp.
The benefit of this is a cable path with large sweeping arcs = good for cable action.

great job on the bike a real eye-catcher
Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #394
sky44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
wow man! almost too pretty to ride. you are gonna ride it though right?
sky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #395
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
With the exception of the black rims, that is a superb restoration and you must feel very proud of her.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #396
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,083
...turned out sweet. You start that puppy yet?

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #397
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
With the exception of the black rims, that is a superb restoration and you must feel very proud of her.
I'm proud of her WITH the black rims! I knew what you meant. I have no regrets on powdercoating them black at all though, I think it makes the whole bike look nicer.

sky44: Yes, I ABSOLUTELY plan to ride her a LOT! In fact, once we're all done here, I'll probably start a 2nd thread that will document the rides that we go on together. Should be fun!

Rapid Dog: I haven't tried to start her yet. Hopefully this weekend. Still got to fill all the fluids, adjust the breaks, and do any carb tinkering that ends up being necessary. Very, very close though!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #398
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Thumb

10-4, like the black rims too!
I blacked my RS rims, looked pretty good, just a lil pita to keep clean.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #399
RonZacapa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
The Lasertec Metzelers look very close to the Bridgestone BT 45's and am sure will last at least as long. Running the BT45's on my current airhead R80 monolever roadbike and very happy with them though mileage on the rear is not gonna be more than 3000.
Thanks for your thread, nice reading about it all.
RonZacapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #400
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...I swapped out the Lazers for BT45's on the RS. Much better ride.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #401
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Glad to hear you guys like the BT45's. I went with them because they were nice looking and on the low end of pricing for tires available in these sizes. I read a few reviews from people that really liked them too.

Rapid Dog, those wheels look fantastic! I love the snowflake rims.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #402
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I'm late for an appointment, so this will be fast. I had some time this morning and filled the bike with all fluids except gas.

I got tired of pitcures after this initial shot. I think you can beat yourself to death trying to pick the right oil. I went with Valvoline VR1. Good reviews, 1,800 ppm zinc, affordable. Good enough!

Once all the fluids were filled (engine oil, tranny oil, fork oil, final drive oil, and driveshaft oil), I started wiring up the battery. At the good recommendation of a good friend, I wired up an inline fuse to the positive lead and put an 8 amp fuse in it. Here's the inline fuse from Advance Auto:

And shoddily wired up (I was running out of time):

This is a crappy and blurry picture, but I coudln't bring myself to delete it. This was the first time I pressed the key in to a wired up bike in over two years. I can't even tell you how nervous I felt. I pushed the kind down and this is what happened!

Better picture:

Headlight works:

High beam indicator light works:

And so does the high beam:

That's all for now, gotta run out of here. Sorry to leave you hanging, but I'm leaving myself hanging and misery loves company! I'll fill my gas can on the way home this evening, fill her up with gas, and see if she'll rumble to life!

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #403
RobboJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Good luck, great job!
RobboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #404
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 148

mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #405
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks gents!

Unfortunately, the elation was short lived. I tried hitting the starter button to see if she would turn over. No starter. I also noticed that the charge light isn't turning off like it should. Not sure what the deal is, but I'll dig a bit deeper soon.

1973 BMW R60/5: