Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #151
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 333
Well done! I gotta ask where you got those pipes, though...?
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #152
Frankbonatelli
always on the road

Oddometer: 9
Had to make them in the barn. They work well for giving me that classic scrambler feel. I have plans for ceramic coating them this month and some better looking shields along its length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Frankbonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #153
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Frank:
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #154
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
Well done! I gotta ask where you got those pipes, though...?
I asked him awhile back: custom headpipes with Triumph Scrambler mufflers.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #155
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631

Oh boy, oh boy is that ever nice! When you get a chance, could we see some pictures of the bike without luggage? Any major changes to the bike other than pipes? Thanks!

Sarah
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #156
Frankbonatelli
always on the road

Im surprised that any one else but me likes the "italian princess" as my brother named her.
So far the only bits n bobs added are parts from the v7 Racer and a few after market shops in UK
  • Side covers
  • Gators for the fork legs.
  • Dart fly screen from the UK
  • Over sized bars for off road use

----

This season will bring some progressives for the front and a set of remote reservoir shocks for the rear http://www.gazisuspension.com.
Been chatting back and forth with them and they are willing to build me a set for the new model v7.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #157
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you Frank, I think that bike looks great. Did you ever wish for a taller front tire? I've wondered about that 18" in gravel and mush. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #158
Pedz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
V7 Scrambler

Nice one Frank! What's holding all the luggage in place, any rack or pannier frames under there? Would also be keen to hear how you get on with the new shocks, I'm not particularly impressed with the OEMs but not many alternatives over here as far as I can see.
Am planning a trip in the summer to the Bardenas Reales desert in Spain with some light off roaring so would be interested if you have any other V7 related tips?
Thanks
Pedro
Pedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #159
Frankbonatelli
always on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Thank you Frank, I think that bike looks great. Did you ever wish for a taller front tire? I've wondered about that 18" in gravel and mush. Thanks again.

Sarah
You know I'm actually new to off road experience (this being my first foray into the realm) so really would not know good from bad handling, well short of on the bike or a bad get off. I know one thing from the run though the Canyon lands trail, The KTMs KLRs etc.etc of the world can blast through these trails (mud sand rock) with out any thought other then the next curve ahead. Where as Brother an myself had to calculate every route with care. Don't miss read here we didn't pussyfoot around average travel speeds off road was +/- 60kmh but when the trail gets to single track like conditions were always erred on the side of caution.
Knowledge of bikes leads me to feel there is a desperate need for progressives up from and better rear suspension as they do take a beating on the washboard roads of Canada's back country.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedz •
Nice one Frank! What's holding all the luggage in place
Well the bags are hung from a barn build from a Buddy of mine. We welded up an over kill wrack to hang bags and fuel cell. It worked well and I'm certain saved my ride in more then one get off at speed! Need to get some head bumpers to, was lucky I never broke any plugs!
---

---
Actually the only thing that I had to repair in field was the clutch cable. with lots of clutch work in the sand I was down to a countable three strands of cable left. Managed to get a shop in Moab to build me another on site. I now carry a spare.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #160
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Triumph to Guzzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
I'm the only V7 Stone owner I know on this forum so far, but for the most part, the older V7 Classics are interchangable with the Stone. The 2013 engines are improved over prior models and te Stone has cast wheels with tubeless tires, but for general feedback there are owners here with older V7 models that have many more seat hours than I who would have better long-term feedback.
That V7 Stone has really got my mind buzzing. The Stone model having both cast wheels and the more powerful engine has made it seem like it's just my thing.

Anyone here gone Triumph to Guzzi? We are lucky enough to have two Guzzi dealers here in town but from what I've seen there are a lot fewer Guzzi dealers than Triumph - has this been an issue?

Power-wise I can't imagine that the Guzzi would be any worse than my Scrambler, which only puts out 55hp.

Besides the cast wheels, I have to say I love the big tank (5.8 gallons? Wow! ) and of course the shaft drive - no more messy chain oil.

I may have to demo one soon.. Dang, and just when I started farkling up my Scrambler...
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #161
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Anyone here gone Triumph to Guzzi?
2007 Scrambler to a 2009 Street Triple R to a 2012 V7 Racer. All good moves. The V7 weighs the same as the Street Triple (<400 lbs). The Scrambler was a pig. My MG dealer offered up a test ride. Give it a shot.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #162
greer
Beastly Adventurer

If I'm not mistaken, the '13 V7 weighs 439 wet. That'd be at least 60 lbs less than the Scrambler, wouldn't it?

Frank--- Thanks for the pictures and info. Please keep us posted on the mods. Go Princess, go!

Sarah
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #163
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the '13 V7 weighs 439 wet. That'd be at least 60 lbs less than the Scrambler, wouldn't it?
Sounds about right. I've seen 495 to 506 lbs. wet for the Scrambler. The frame geometry makes slow speed maneuvering difficult as well. U-turns make you apprehensive ("Will I make it?").
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #164
CurtOKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Cool2 18 Month/14K mile Report

I have owned my 2012 V-7 Classic for 18 months now and logged 14K miles mainly going to and from work 6 days a week and reular sunday pleasure ride saround the area. I only have two minor complaints. The rear tail light housing is made of some the thinest plastic I have ever seem. My leg bumped against the turn signal and it tore right out of the housing. To replace it costs approx $265.00 Second compalint is the kickstand springs do not last. i am on my second set already. I love my "Gina" she is a reliable,faithful and fun friend.
Or as I often like to say: When my meds stop working my Guzzi still does.
CurtOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #165
Frankbonatelli
always on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtOKC View Post
The rear tail light housing is made of some the thinest plastic I have ever seem. My leg bumped against the turn signal and it tore right out of the housing. To replace it costs approx $265.00 Second compalint is the kickstand springs do not last. i am on my second set already.
Same complaints here. 20 k on the od. Worst is the side stand always dropping out even after new bushings and spring replacements. It's an on going issue. As for the tail light indicators, mine did the same and I used a long bolt and nut that reach from left to right perfectly. Work so nice that it strengthened things. Three off road get offs at speed and they are still good as new!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD