User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
TeneRay OP
2>4

Oddometer: 1,596
2013 MotoGP Indy, August 16-18

edit: I meant for this to be more planning and logistics rather than focusing on the event.

TeneRay screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 12:12 PM
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
sculptor666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
i don't post much on this forum, but i did a search for cornerworking the motogp event last year, but i was too late. not this year! i'm assigned to the flagging and communications team! can't wait!
sculptor666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
In, bought my tix the day they went on renewal sale

If you're thinking of hoteling it downtown make your reservations early. Gencon is scheduled for the same weekend and there are always a buttload of folks at that thing.

I'm a local so if ya need info ping me.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
rdtele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
In, bought my tix the day they went on renewal sale

If you're thinking of hoteling it downtown make your reservations early. Gencon is scheduled for the same weekend and there are always a buttload of folks at that thing.

I'm a local so if ya need info ping me.
That Gencon was a huge hassle last year. We stayed downtown 2 previous years, but I couldn't find a room last year and I started calling a month earlier than other years. Talked to some folks attending the event and they weren't happy with it either. Met one family of artists that were there to sell at the show. School had already started and they had to yank the kids out of classes to attend and work.
rdtele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtele View Post
That Gencon was a huge hassle last year. We stayed downtown 2 previous years, but I couldn't find a room last year and I started calling a month earlier than other years. Talked to some folks attending the event and they weren't happy with it either. Met one family of artists that were there to sell at the show. School had already started and they had to yank the kids out of classes to attend and work.
It was an odd mix. Wizards walking around the circle with the bikes on friday and saturday night. I also heard from one waiter that he prefers the Gencon crowd to the motogp crowd because the tip better. The hotel staff told me they liked the motogp folks better, the don't rearrange the furniture. It's never too soon to make a reservation.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
It was an odd mix. Wizards walking around the circle with the bikes on friday and saturday night. I also heard from one waiter that he prefers the Gencon crowd to the motogp crowd because the tip better. The hotel staff told me they liked the motogp folks better, the don't rearrange the furniture. It's never too soon to make a reservation.
Meh. They drove up hotel costs and crowded all the restaurants.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Meh. They drove up hotel costs and crowded all the restaurants.
Generally, the better the restaurant, the fewer GenCon folks. On the Friday of race weekend, my brother and I ate at the McCormick & Schmick's right near the convention center, and not a single wizard was to be found.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
It was an odd mix. Wizards walking around the circle with the bikes on friday and saturday night. .
I'll be damned, I didn't realize it was the same weekend last year. Even though my office is downtown I do my best to never go there

I don't make it to the downtown events. I go to the speedway races on Friday night and The Mile on Saturday. No Wizards there

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
I was worried about the mile being held during the fair last year, but in spited of some horrendous traffic, it was actually really cool to have the races going on, and the sights,smells, and sounds of the fair as a backdrop. hell, I even had a donut burger!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Again the local guys give the heads up. Thanks!
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Generally, the better the restaurant, the less chance you'll find me dining there.
Edited to reflect personal realities.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Edited to reflect personal realities.

You need to go to the Mile then - they have deep fried sticks of butter.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
TeneRay OP
2>4

Oddometer: 1,596
So anyone have intentions on camping on-site? I figure it would be a madhouse but also filled with inmates since that's what most of us do. I figure it would be best to rally together so we're less likely to get f*cked with.

I made the mistake of riding through MotoGP at Laguna Seca last year. No campsites within 20 miles. Available hotel rooms were going from $400 to $1000 a night.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #14
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
you can camp at the track, probably about 50 bucks for a site for the weekend, I think that's what it costs the past few years. the camping area is across the street from the front staight. it's not too bad, plenty of room, just don't camp where the attendant takes you, they seem to like to pack people in the back corner and there is all kinds of room elsewhere. Last year thurs and fri were quiet, then sat nite everyone must have drank retard juice. I like to drink beer and have a good time, but some of these idiots needed clubbed.
all in all, it IS nice to wake up, hear the music playing at the track, and then hear the bikes being warmed up from half a mile away while you sip coffee and cook breakfast, then casually walk over, cross the street, and BAM, your on the front straight and you get to see what 204mph looks like up close!
another option, an inmate that is local has a campout in his yard, I'm sure he'll chime in soon with details. I've never stayed there, but I'm sure it's a good time. If I were to ride out there by myself I'd probably camp there.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote