ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #61
OkieGman
Working Stiff
 
OkieGman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Okie from Muskogee
Oddometer: 99
Waterproof cases

I haven't tried the one you mentioned but I did try another brand (can't remember the name) and had 2 major issues which caused me to stop using:

1.) The water proof screen was so thick it prevented activation of the touch screen even bare handed.

2.) The phone would overheat even in modest 80 degree weather due to a complete lack of airflow.

Minor: It was difficult to install and remove phone. With the set-up below I can remove the phone to go into the gas station or whatever in a matter of seconds. Would even be quicker if I utilized a bluetooth setup but I'm hard wired.

I use an Otterbox for my phone anyways and bought a ram mount holder for the Otterbox. I mounted the Otterbox close behind the screen which protects it from minor weather. I carry a simple 1 quart ziplock bag and pull that down over the phone and zip up as tight as possible (or move phone to tank bag) if the weather is more than a sprinkle.

I use my iPhone 4S both for simple navigation and also to listen to music while riding. If I want to plan a route I break out my 478 and use it.
__________________
My wife won't let me whore around with other women, so I whore around with motorcycles - I've never met one I didn't want to take home

2005 BMW R1200GS (Limey - yes it's lime green)
2007 Honda XR230R (x2 - for wifey and I)
OkieGman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #62
jprovence
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 67
lifeproof has their case and bike mount. Check it out. I'm running a lifeproof case on my iphone. and will be picking up the bike mount soon.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #63
bajadawg
Dreamer
 
bajadawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mt. Vernon, VA
Oddometer: 54
Mophie juice pack and custom headphones

This is what I use. I just put the iPhone in my pocket. I like navigon. If I'm listening to an online streaming service or iTunes it turns the music down, gives me voice directions, and the music comes back up. I find I don't really need to look at the screen anyway and it's less distracting.
bajadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #64
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Smugglers Notch VT
Oddometer: 195
Ram mount with X-Grip cradle worked great, just added the Lifeproof case for added weather protection.
I've used the phone in the case for a weeks in the Lifeproof and it's ok, but I'll save it for moto season.
Motion-X is still my track-follower of choice. Point - to - point - Motion-X Drive ....meh I use it but it could be easier.

The list of directions don't seem to follow my progress, need to scroll thru the list (I don't subscribe to live voice).
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #65
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,117
I used the iPhone for a navigation device for a couple of years. I used the Navigon app. It's doable, but I don't recommend it for a few reasons.

First, the Navigon app left a lot to be desired in the navigation department. It would give me some truly bizarre routes on a very regular basis. It would almost always get me to the destination (though it led me down dead-end roads several times), but it rarely gave me the fastest route (when on that setting). Often I would take a route that I would know was quicker, and once I turned off the recommended route, it would recalculate. The route I would take would then show up both shorter in distance and in time... So it leaves me wondering how it goes about choosing its routes. I've used several stand-alone GPS units, and each one was far and away better in nearly every aspect than the Navigon app. I truly expected a lot more from it.

The iphone itself was problematic. It would lose GPS signal and require a reboot to get it going. This wasn't a constant issue, but it happened a bit too frequently for my liking. In hot temperatures it would overheat and quit charging, or the charging would continue, but it couldn't keep up with power consumption. This would result in me having to turn off the navigation to conserve battery. My iPhone ate vehicle charges. If I was going on a trip longer than a day, I'd always bring along a spare charger, because I just simply couldn't trust the charger to last. To be fair, these issues were all with 3G and 3GS phones. Both phones had the exact same issues though. Maybe some of the problems have been fixed with later generations.

I got sick of Apple (mainly being forced to use iTunes) and bought a Samsung Galaxy S3. I am now using this for navigation on the bike and am using the Sygic app. So far, I'm not running into the lost GPS signals or eating chargers. However, it did stop charging when I was out in single digit (F) temps. However, I'm rarely riding in those temps, and when I do, it's relatively short distances, so that's a bit of a non-issue. I haven't tested it in hot weather yet either. The Sygic app is fantastic. The routing is much better, it's quicker to respond and 'think,' the layout and graphics are (subjectively) much nicer, and it's just all-around a nicer package. However, I haven't tested the GS3/Sygic nearly as extensively as the iPhone/Navigon. However, right off the bat, it seems much better.

In reality, I know I'd be much happier keeping the cell phone as a backup navigation device and getting a good waterproof GPS for my primary device. However, the good waterproof units are expensive!

I use Ultimate Addons cases for both the iPhone and GS3 and have been extremely satisfied with them. They're fully waterproof, the screen is completely usable inside the case, they're very compact, and the prices are very reasonable.
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids IBA # 56419

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #66
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor
 
Jeff@TheQuadShop's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Crestwood, Kentucky
Oddometer: 4,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I used the iPhone for a navigation device for a couple of years. I used the Navigon app. It's doable, but I don't recommend it for a few reasons.

First, the Navigon app left a lot to be desired in the navigation department. It would give me some truly bizarre routes on a very regular basis. It would almost always get me to the destination (though it led me down dead-end roads several times), but it rarely gave me the fastest route (when on that setting). Often I would take a route that I would know was quicker, and once I turned off the recommended route, it would recalculate. The route I would take would then show up both shorter in distance and in time... So it leaves me wondering how it goes about choosing its routes. I've used several stand-alone GPS units, and each one was far and away better in nearly every aspect than the Navigon app. I truly expected a lot more from it.

The iphone itself was problematic. It would lose GPS signal and require a reboot to get it going. This wasn't a constant issue, but it happened a bit too frequently for my liking. In hot temperatures it would overheat and quit charging, or the charging would continue, but it couldn't keep up with power consumption. This would result in me having to turn off the navigation to conserve battery. My iPhone ate vehicle charges. If I was going on a trip longer than a day, I'd always bring along a spare charger, because I just simply couldn't trust the charger to last. To be fair, these issues were all with 3G and 3GS phones. Both phones had the exact same issues though. Maybe some of the problems have been fixed with later generations.

I got sick of Apple (mainly being forced to use iTunes) and bought a Samsung Galaxy S3. I am now using this for navigation on the bike and am using the Sygic app. So far, I'm not running into the lost GPS signals or eating chargers. However, it did stop charging when I was out in single digit (F) temps. However, I'm rarely riding in those temps, and when I do, it's relatively short distances, so that's a bit of a non-issue. I haven't tested it in hot weather yet either. The Sygic app is fantastic. The routing is much better, it's quicker to respond and 'think,' the layout and graphics are (subjectively) much nicer, and it's just all-around a nicer package. However, I haven't tested the GS3/Sygic nearly as extensively as the iPhone/Navigon. However, right off the bat, it seems much better.

In reality, I know I'd be much happier keeping the cell phone as a backup navigation device and getting a good waterproof GPS for my primary device. However, the good waterproof units are expensive!

I use Ultimate Addons cases for both the iPhone and GS3 and have been extremely satisfied with them. They're fully waterproof, the screen is completely usable inside the case, they're very compact, and the prices are very reasonable.

That's od, I've never had any of the problems that your describing with Navigon or the iPhone. I've had them both since they were first released.
__________________
1998 RMX 250 singletrack bike
1999 DR350SEX Dual Sport bike
1996 XR600R adventure bike
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #67
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler
 
lhendrik's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Floridoodie
Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
That's od, I've never had any of the problems that your describing with Navigon or the iPhone. I've had them both since they were first released.
+1, I use iphone 4 with navigon as my backup nav device. works great. Never an issue. Used it from France to Andorra last summer.
__________________
Normal is just a setting on the dryer.
2009 R1200GS A, 2008 K1200GT
lhendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #68
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
+1, I use iphone 4 with navigon as my backup nav device. works great. Never an issue. Used it from France to Andorra last summer.
With the iPhone I generally use the build in Maps app - works great here in the area. I also have the TomTom app for Europe and the Navigon for the US. Never had any issues with the software or stability.

Only issue is when the phone gets hot in direct sunlight - it might not like that, not charge or even shut down.

But still - on the bike I mostly use my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. Works great.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #69
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
That's od, I've never had any of the problems that your describing with Navigon or the iPhone. I've had them both since they were first released.
Yeah, it's weird. I'm certainly not alone in my complaints on the iPhone, as I tried searching for answers to my problems on the internet and found lots of other people complaining about the same things. However, I also know most others have had no problems at all. I must have just had bad luck with getting two in a row with the same damn problems.

My routing problems seem extremely common though. I spent some time on the Navigon forums (well, a subforum of a gps forum) trying to get answers to my routing woes. It seems that the best answer available on those forums is that strange routing is just simply more common on Navigon than most other major GPS systems. I noticed an immediate improvement with Sygic over Navigon once I switched. I realize that every GPS will give bad routes from time to time, but the frequency with which I got them with Navigon was much more than with previous Garmin and TomTom units I've owned prior and so far with the Sygic.
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids IBA # 56419

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #70
Biggesthead
n00b
 
Biggesthead's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 4
Peaklife?

I still think an iPhone is too pricey to be mounted and used as an external GPS. (But I do like the ideal of using it as a tracker with the phone staying hidden in either the jacket or tank bag.)

With that being said, do we have any comments or reports on the PeakLife GPS unit? Another post...
Biggesthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #71
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
That's od, I've never had any of the problems that your describing with Navigon or the iPhone. I've had them both since they were first released.
It's his phone. My old iPhone was the same. I got a replacement phone from apple and the problem went away. Now, the problem is gone for good since I too switched to a S3
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #72
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer
 
kitesurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: JAX, FL
Oddometer: 1,569
good thread. i don't have an iphone. investigating buying one. if i can get music to come through my phone and bluetooth to my scala rider Q2, i'll buy. anyone doing this?
__________________
2012 VSTROM ADV 650
US NAVY RETIRED
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #73
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
good thread. i don't have an iphone. investigating buying one. if i can get music to come through my phone and bluetooth to my scala rider Q2, i'll buy. anyone doing this?
Yep. Connecting to an iPhone (or any smart phone really) is a breeze. I haven't been happy with the sound quality on my Q2, so I don't actually listen to music, but I've done it before and it's easy.
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids IBA # 56419

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #74
jprovence
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Yep. Connecting to an iPhone (or any smart phone really) is a breeze. I haven't been happy with the sound quality on my Q2, so I don't actually listen to music, but I've done it before and it's easy.
Seems to be the consensus among most of the bluetooth units or any helmet speaker. The biggest problem is the drivers are too far away to be effective and are not sealed against the ear (like a headphone). Coupled with the low quality driver as well.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #75
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver
 
AKtracks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post
Seems to be the consensus among most of the bluetooth units or any helmet speaker. The biggest problem is the drivers are too far away to be effective and are not sealed against the ear (like a headphone). Coupled with the low quality driver as well.
There are a couple threads here that give a pictorial on how to replace the helmet speakers of the Q2 with a standard headphone jack, making the use of your headphones possible. It's pretty easy if you have even basic soldering skills, and works great when bluetooth pairing with the iPhone.
I put my iPhone in a waterproof RAM mount on the handlebars so I can see the screen for navigation if needed, and to be able to use the touch screen for song changes/etc. Turn-by-turn voice prompts, and my wife's Q2 unit, interrupt the music when being used, so that's handy. And since the iPhone is paired via Bluetooth, those quick roadside pitstops mean I don't have to disconnect any wires for a bio break...and I still get tunes if I stay within 30 or so feet of the bike.
__________________
'07 R1200GS

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014