Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #31
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post
PEI is nice. That's all I'll say.
Newfoundland is AMAZING!

Don't forget Port Au Port Peninsula as it has lots to see and doesn't take a lot of time.
That penninsula is beautiful.

Don't try to ride a bike out to that long skinny tip of land on the north though. Emmbeedee thought we'd do it and found that the large round beach rock is like riding on ball bearings. We were 2-up on his mighty 1150GS that day. Then someone told us about silly mainlanders getting stuck out on these points when the tide comes in.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #32
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
I think it is safe to say most of the out ports are really nice. I remember my wife took me to her brothers house at night. I woke up to an astounding view from their house. I will never forget that. It was just normal to them but outstanding for me. The house was perched on the side of a rock in a little fishing village. The place is called Nippers Harbour.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
bdsaint13
n00b

Oddometer: 8
thank you all...all good advice. We will prob be staying away from east coast, seems to be the busiest. Anymore advice on the ferries?
bdsaint13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #34
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsaint13 View Post
thank you all...all good advice. We will prob be staying away from east coast, seems to be the busiest. Anymore advice on the ferries?
Busy is a relative term. If you are thinking in terms of Lunenberg, NS, or any other tourist trap that is swarming with tourists.... you won't find that in Newfoundland. Nowhere is 'busy' the way a mainlander thinks of busy.

On our first trip we started seeking out the 'tourist' places simply to find somewhere to eat and a choice of more than one restaurant. So just put that worry right out of your mind!

As for the ferry - some might tell you to bring your own tie-downs. Not necessary, they have excellent ones on board.

Make your reservation early, maybe even months in advance, especially if you want a cabin. And, if they are out of cabins, ask to be on the waiting list. We lucked out on our trip back last time and got a cabin when we checked in.

And bring something to do - there are no magazines or newspapers lying around and no entertainment.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,535
Only thing I might to the ferry tie-down statement above is once in a while they do run out of their version of soft-ties. DAMHIK. Next Time I'll have my own and prolly won't need them. Depending on your bike this may not be an issue.

As for entertainment, internet onboard can also be overloaded to the point of it not really functioning.

St. John's, the largest city on NFL isn't 'busy' so that'll give you an idea of the rest of it. In fact, I'd make it a point to spend some time in that area if you can. Lots-0-cool stuff around there.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #36
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,801
Lunenberg? It is indeed all relative, it seems like Lunenberg is deserted compared to places like Bar Harbor in Maine and so on.

To the OP, Newfoundland is the place to go, by a wide margin. PEI is just a short detour on the way.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #37
bdsaint13
n00b

Oddometer: 8
sounds good, thanks again...
bdsaint13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #38
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,726
You really need to get to the East side. Signal Hill in St. John's is a must on a sunny day. The coast around Conception Bay (where I grew up) is also a great highlands type ride with lots of twisties, fantastic views and good pavement. You'll pass through little towns with just 50-200 occupants.

As fas as NFLD being busy Sorry.

There will be 25 other people on Signal Hill when you're there, and while you're riding Conception Bay, The Burin or the Southern Peninsula South of St. John's, you'll see another vehicle every minute or two.

Be sure to eat some road side fish and chips, doesn't matter where.

We (Wife and I are both from the Carbonear area), were there all of Aug last yr. Only rained twice, mid 20s C most days, down around 15-20 at night.

Wife and kids want to go back this summer, maybe late july to mid-late aug. If you need help with something let me know.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #39
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Thanks to OP for the thread start and to all for the input. Two bikes, both two up, heading to Saint Anthony on August 2nd from Homestead, FL. Riding to Orlando (Sanford actually) Taking the auto-train up to Lorton, VA just outside DC and then continue riding up. We will be pretty much all slab until we cross to Canada due to time constraints.

Current plan is ride across PEI in transit towards North Sydney. Travel times puts us in North Sydney to catch a 10am ferry. Later afternoon/evening in PAB and then the next day just over to Rocky Harbor. Next is to Saint Anthonys for a two night stay. Back to Deer Lake for a night and then down to PAB and the ferry back. Of course by then its haul ass back south, with another ride on the train, since we all have to be back to work on Aug 20th. Each day of riding on the Rock is like 200-240 miles and we all don't mind taking 12 hours to cover that, so we should get in some good sight seeing. Wish we had longer, but so much to do, so little vacation!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #40
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,437
+ whatever number we're at for Newfoundland. Can't say I've ever had a bad time on the Rock, even when I got into an argument with some big dumb bastard down on George street. He was just there staring at me all big and moose like...ah damn it's coming together now, it was a moose.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #41
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
As a suggestion to travellers looking to maximize their time in Newfoundland.
A day crossing on the ferry means a camping/hotel room close to the ferry in North Sydney and the same scenario in Port au Basque.
Spend a longer day in Cape Breton doing the Cabot Trail and then take the night ferry and sleep in a cabin on the boat for about the same cost as a hotel room. Breakfast and a shower on the boat and roll off refreshed, clean and ready to make some miles right away.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #42
PSLbud
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
You really need to get to the East side. Signal Hill in St. John's is a must on a sunny day. The coast around Conception Bay (where I grew up) is also a great highlands type ride with lots of twisties, fantastic views and good pavement. You'll pass through little towns with just 50-200 occupants.

As fas as NFLD being busy Sorry.

There will be 25 other people on Signal Hill when you're there, and while you're riding Conception Bay, The Burin or the Southern Peninsula South of St. John's, you'll see another vehicle every minute or two.

Be sure to eat some road side fish and chips, doesn't matter where.

We (Wife and I are both from the Carbonear area), were there all of Aug last yr. Only rained twice, mid 20s C most days, down around 15-20 at night.

Wife and kids want to go back this summer, maybe late july to mid-late aug. If you need help with something let me know.
Hey bro,
I'm from Bay Roberts and my buddy that I ride with is from Carbonear, nice to bump into a fellow Conception Bay biker on this site. Drop me a message and see if we might know each other from days past... Ya never know...

Bud
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #43
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,047
If you time it right you can be in St. Johns for the George Street festival. More bars per square foot than anywhere in NA.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #44
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
I think it would be smart to restrict yourself to one area of NFLD. There is the Saint Johns area, maybe the central area and the west coast area. There is a lot to see and no sense in rushing and passing by good things. It is a big island.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #45
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
As a suggestion to travellers looking to maximize their time in Newfoundland.
A day crossing on the ferry means a camping/hotel room close to the ferry in North Sydney and the same scenario in Port au Basque.
Spend a longer day in Cape Breton doing the Cabot Trail and then take the night ferry and sleep in a cabin on the boat for about the same cost as a hotel room. Breakfast and a shower on the boat and roll off refreshed, clean and ready to make some miles right away.
You're right about the cabins and the showers Murph, I scored a room all to myself on the way home from Argentia last summer and had a good long sleep followed by an awesome shower. That boat has amazing water pressure and flow for the showers; I probably looked like a cooked lobster after my 20 minute shower. And then there was the breakfast buffet, i ate like a king, it was a bit expensive but really good. Started out the ride back through Cape Breton feeling refreshed and ready.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote