Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
GaM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Do Topo 24K (DVD)maps lock to one GPS?

I'm waiting for my Montana to get here, I have already received my maps and cradle. I have an etrex legend Cx that just has the base map. Somewhere I got the idea that the 24K Topo maps on DVD did not lock to one GPS; you can put it on more than one GPS. I haven't loaded the 24K Topo or the City Navigator onto the computer yet, I've been waiting for the Montana to get here. I'm worried about one of those Garmin "gotchas"- Like "Oh you put that topo on the Extrex? Well, you have to buy it again for the Montana." So if I install basecamp and put the Topo 24K on the Etrex, can I still put in on the Montana?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
From the Garmin site (didn't trust my memory):

DVD/CD: Maps purchased in this format will require a computer to use but they will allow you to plan trips on your computer, print and transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to your GPS device2. The installation process will install the mapping and the MapSource or BaseCamp application to your computer. MapSource or BaseCamp can then be used to send maps to either your device or a blank datacard since most devices will not hold all of the data on the device. Please note that most mapping products in this format are unlocked to a single device and they are non-transferable. City Navigator maps in this format can be updated by purchasing a map update, when available

End quote.

RED and LARGER font my doing.

Some of their older products used to be unlocked.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
I'm waiting for my Montana to get here, I have already received my maps and cradle. I have an etrex legend Cx that just has the base map. Somewhere I got the idea that the 24K Topo maps on DVD did not lock to one GPS; you can put it on more than one GPS. I haven't loaded the 24K Topo or the City Navigator onto the computer yet, I've been waiting for the Montana to get here. I'm worried about one of those Garmin "gotchas"- Like "Oh you put that topo on the Extrex? Well, you have to buy it again for the Montana." So if I install basecamp and put the Topo 24K on the Etrex, can I still put in on the Montana?
I think the 24K US Topos are not locked to one gps. I don't have them here, but I have read on a forum I trust the following: "The 24k topo's are not locked on DVD, so you could install on more than one GPS if desired."

This is the thread I read it in: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23796

I know for a fact that Canada Topo V4, the most recent Garmin topo for Canada, is not locked. I do own that one.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
GaM OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll just wait and put it on the Montana first and then try to put it on the etrex.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
That would be my choice too in this situation.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
An uncle of mine had the topo24 maps for the western US, and he shared the DVD with myself and my father in law. It works fine on all three PCs and multiple GPS units

Unless they have locked it down recently. This was about 5 years ago when we tried while on a hiking trip out west.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Nope the DVD TOPO maps arent unit locked but the City Nav DVD maps are. I have all of the 24k topos and can put them on any Garmin unit that will suppport them.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
GaM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, went on both without a problem, basecamp even updated the firmware on the extrex.