Apologies for the profanity…

DesertSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #197
gnashbritches
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSweeper View Post
I personally believe the vehicle is secondary to the journey.
Indeed, especially poignant as I can't get my Husky to run for more than about 2 weeks at a time before it's back in the shop for a month, and I'm travelling only the less than arduous 3Km of suburban tarmac between my house and office.

Will be sure to explore that site you sent, too.

Quote:
I do actually rent out my second bike when I do these trips for a nominal fee. Although Brian is going the full distance on this one I would typically do it in 3 or 4 legs as I did on the way down. Let me know when you ready to bite that bullet!
This is quite the offer. I'd better start saving/applying for more credit cards.

Quote:
As for your money question it varies widely. [...] As little as 20 dollars-a-day all in is quite easy. Naturally I am not including breakdowns and beer – both rather costly!
I can imagine the cost of sustaining life being quite low north of RSA, although I am sort of interested in the total cost of ownership of the trip including everything but the original purchase of the bikes, which I'm sure is a bit hard to judge and even harder to plan for, and not sure whether it's too personal a question.

Thanks again for the insights, info and offer Wayne. I'll be following your journey closely.

Dave
gnashbritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #198
Osadabwa
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 201
Wink XR Next time

I'm growing old waiting for this report to end, but at least I'm having a nice time chuckling at your misfortune from my dry home in Dar.

We just went out for a two day ride and got lost in all sorts of twisty trails and dead ends. Have a look, maybe you'll be inspired to bring an XR on the next trip to Africa!
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #199
Desert Squeaker
mega novice

Oddometer: 5
Natural Born

Fantastic pics, riding and writing. Thanks, Desert Sweeper. You are a natural born adventurer and story-teller.
Desert Squeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #200
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 520

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #201
Seyipee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Africa, Prayers, and an Appeal

What an absolutely epic report!

Sir, my hat goes off to you, you have captured the very essence of Africa. I live in Nigeria (much like your description of Zambia in terms of corruption but with a bit more cheer more verve and more sophistication ) and have ridden a little dirtbike, a 250cc sportsbike and a 150cc "Malaysian made Honda. I had the most fun on the dirtbike and it improved my riding on the sports bike. I have never done a bike tour but i look forward to doing it someday.

Like i said uve totally captured it all,the unpredictability,the corruption, the large breasted women with bloodshot eyes but brushing past a lion abso - freakin - lutely takes the cake!

Being born and living here and not having a thorough education is what makes Africans close to God (u realise u need some more backup when there are no ambulances, people with skills around,etc.) I studied law (into photography now cos law is a corruption fuelled occupation here)and wouldn't know half the technical things about fixing and maintaining a bike that u do. So if i wanted to take such a trip, i would cover the road and my bike with the blood of Jesus, pray in tongues in the dangerous areas, and sometimes (hopefully never) have to resort to roadside mechanics and vulcanisers.I'll bet those would make interesting ride reports by the way I'm saying a prayer for u right now.

Seyipee screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 02:32 AM
Seyipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #202
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
It's been a long time since the last update, are you boys still at it?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #203
rade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It's been a long time since the last update, are you boys still at it?
Hi Lukas,

I ve sent you email few months back... now I see you are returning back from nice adventure:-)
I will be happy to hear from you, after you are fully setteld back...

cheers,
Rade
rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #204
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 566
Maybe the baboons ate them
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #205
mat_retro
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
I give up waiting for the rain to stop and I’m soaked anyway so I leave my little shelter and trudge up the road to where we are staying. Brian greets me with a beer under a large open-walled thatch terrace where we sit back and watch the rain and the mist cloaked forests around us. Sipping on the frosties we both contemplate the rare chance we have had to see one of the world’s magnificent endangered creatures in its natural habitat. Very few people get to experience what we have done. The insane irritation of my drenched paperweight-bike down the road evaporates and I smile to myself. Life is not so bad after all – I am riding off-road through Africa on a bike with a good mate, drinking beer and seeing the world.

Just joined this forum and already loving it...,
Great stories, great write up, great ride !!!

Cheers !!!, Kampai !!!! Yum Senggg !!!
mat_retro is offline   Reply With Quote