ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
8ner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Planing a DS ride route NH, Vt, Maine

Ya so I am beginning to start the plans for a DS ride starting in SW New Hampshire up through Vt across northern NH into Maine and then south back to SW New Hampshire. The plan is to keep it all dirt roads 2 track and some single track . We will have to do some pavement runs for gas and whatnot. I was hoping to GPS the route somehow . Right now we are planing on 4 days for the ride camping along the way. Right now there are 3 riders on board for the ride I will be on a DR 350 my son on his DR 385 big bore kit and a friend on his KTM 300 ( with extra parts to keep it going for the ride ) .
So do any of you out there have any thoughts , routes or just general remarks on places to hit along the way?
Oh ya we plan on doing the trip in late May or Early June.
8ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,390
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508552
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,397
The TET is probably the best starting point. The final leg of your trip "then south back to SW New Hampshire" is going to be difficult to find continuous stretches of dirt. I highly recommend picking up a copy of the DeLorme Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. It will show the dirt roads and more importantly, the gates. A lot of the dirt roads in Maine are private roads. Even if there's no gate, watch for signs and stay off the logging roads if they're signed "No Motorcycles"!
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,213
Sounds like a fun father / son bonding trip. Unless I misread this.... IMHO, with only four days to travel... you should focus on one state...preferably the one closest to you so as to minimize travel time. Any one of these states will give you more than enough options for four full days of one or two track riding. Don't spread yourself too thin by trying to cover too much ground.
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,134
Click on my F800 RR link below, might have some of what your after. Some of the TET was built using it. Maine can be tricky due to private paper company property.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
8ner OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the leads so far. The plan has been for 4 days give or take . If we feel the need to cut the trip short for whatever reasons we will just head home from where we are. So it's a no pressure situation .
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,390
The TET and most of DP''s track is dirt road. If you want the smaller stuff you need to get ATV trail maps and then deal with atv registration issues in each state. Many atv trails in Me. are not fun on a bike loaded with camping gear.

another info source

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673084
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 04:01 PM
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,300
Where in NH is your planned entry point? I can try to stitch some DS routes together for you that will dump you in VT or wherever else you like. PM me.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
8ner OP
Adventurer

Thanks Henry . Pm sent
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
BirdBrennan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wink Vt, Nh, Me ride

I am living in VT but new to the area so am not able to help with route info. I did participate in a 100 mile DS fundraising event ( for Irene relief) last summer in the Stockbridge, Vt area so someone will have info on those roads, trails. You will need to do a little Internet research to track down that event and the contact people. I would love to get a copy of your route if you would be so kind as to share. Sounds like a wonderful adventure. BB DR 650
BirdBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
8ner OP
Adventurer

Will do Bird. Once I piece the Rt. together I was thinking I would post it up . Perhaps a ride report as well once we commence on the ride.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #12
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,201
The Puppy Dog Ride would take you up through Vermont on a nice mix of dirt and paved roads. There has to be a gps file somewhere on here if you Google it.

We took it north and then crossed into Canada and over to NH and ME on one of our excursions. Nice riding up that way. Could easily be done without the Canada slement if you don't have a passport.

Whizzerwheel makes a good point, though. You could spend the entire time in VT and not hit all the good stuff. You can't make a wrong turn over there.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBrennan View Post
I am living in VT but new to the area so am not able to help with route info. I did participate in a 100 mile DS fundraising event ( for Irene relief) last summer in the Stockbridge, Vt area so someone will have info on those roads, trails. You will need to do a little Internet research to track down that event and the contact people. I would love to get a copy of your route if you would be so kind as to share. Sounds like a wonderful adventure. BB DR 650
I did the CCC Irene ride out of Stockbridge last August. Is that the same one you did? There were some pretty washed out sections, glad I was on a 250.

I think I saved the route instructions for that one somewhere.
tdvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
8ner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
I did the CCC Irene ride out of Stockbridge last August. Is that the same one you did? There were some pretty washed out sections, glad I was on a 250.

I think I saved the route instructions for that one somewhere.
What is / was the FCC Irene ride? I took a ride up into the Wilmington area right after Irene on a Dakar I had at the time . It was really rough going on that heavy bike. I was blown away by the destruction. I lived in that area for a while it was strange to see landmarks gone.
You are right there is a lot of great riding right in VT we could easily ride there for the 4days we have to ride. right now the route through VT is keeping pretty close to the Conn. river valley the farthest west of the valley will be about 10 miles.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ner View Post
What is / was the FCC Irene ride? I took a ride up into the Wilmington area right after Irene on a Dakar I had at the time . It was really rough going on that heavy bike. I was blown away by the destruction. I lived in that area for a while it was strange to see landmarks gone.
You are right there is a lot of great riding right in VT we could easily ride there for the 4days we have to ride. right now the route through VT is keeping pretty close to the Conn. river valley the farthest west of the valley will be about 10 miles.
It was a benefit ride last August with the proceeds going to Irene relief. CCC is the Cycle Conservation Club of VT.

Scroll down the page a bit: https://www.cccofvt.org/

It was right around the Irene 1-year anniversary, probably around 50 riders. Organized by a local member who really knows the trails/roads in that area. I wouldn't describe the trail sections of the route as "big bike friendly".

Some of the sections were shared with the VAST (snow machine) routes, so they had been worked on some & I think the CCC had been out there working too, but still lots of storm damage to be seen.
tdvt is online now   Reply With Quote