ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #3316
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 616
Forgive me if this question is answered else where in this thread. I have had a spot2 since they came out and the original before that. It works 99% perfect up here in Canada where I live. It's never worked the few times I've tried it in the southern states. Florida, Texas, Arizona ect. as recently as two weeks ago. Tried brand new batteries and leaving it on in clear skies for a couple hours before pressing the ok button but they don't show up. Unit shows the sent message indicator. Don't think it's my technique. Works fine up here......
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #3317
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,454
I'm in metro San Diego (lat N33 05" 09.3') and my SPOT 2 was working fine last weekend.
DangerMoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #3318
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
There should be no reason for it not to work unless it is faulty

Mine worked from Prudhoe Bay to Uashia no worries
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #3319
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
B.C. Biker,

Someone recently posted on the Spotwalla mailing list that they were having problems with their spot when the visited other locations. I don't recall the details, but it involved travelling large distance in a quick timeframe, and I think that they were a pilot, so they had it on while flying. They contacted Spot and were instructed to do some sort of reset and all was well.

I know that's very vague, but Spot may be able to assist you, if your situation is similar.

I've used mine overseas for brief stints with no issue, but I don't know the intricacies of the unit, so could have problems one day.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #3320
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Mine never had an issue when I flew from Oz to Frankfurt, worked right away then when I flew from Mongolia to Hong Kong once again no issue nor when I arrived in Bangkok nor Kuala Lumpa

I think your unit is faulty
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #3321
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Thanks for all the replies. It has been when traveling by plane but then by bike or car for a week or two after. Guess ill try a phone call to Spot about the reset sandalscout mentioned. Then maybe a new unit or explore other options ......
Hope it's something simple, sure do like the piece of mind it gives and of course Spot checking your friends from a trip down south while they are working in the snow up north is priceless!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #3322
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It has been when traveling by plane but then by bike or car for a week or two after. Guess ill try a phone call to Spot about the reset sandalscout mentioned. Then maybe a new unit or explore other options ......
Hope it's something simple, sure do like the piece of mind it gives and of course Spot checking your friends from a trip down south while they are working in the snow up north is priceless!
When you fly and arrive at a new location, like any GPS it will need time to 'relocate' itself. By sending an OK and making sure you get an email is the best way to check buoy may have to send a couple of oks until it is set to go
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #3323
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Yep best bet is to leave it outside with an open view of the sky and not moving. 15-20 mins, it should find its new location. The OK message will confirm that.

If you are moving, it takes way longer.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #3324
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,454
If the SPOT has the SiRF III chipset (or newer) it should get the first fix in less than 5 minutes given a clear view of the sky.

Anybody know what's in it?
DangerMoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #3325
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

When using the Spot I did it all as per the book. Had a couple phone calls with them over the last two days. First woman was fairly rude and condensending. Could picture her chewing gum and doing her nails. Requested someone that wanted to help customers. Next woman was pleasent enough and we went through the whole start up and send procedure, messages did not work. Next day a couple did work like normal up here.
Next day call from Spot she said their techs checked and the tracking worked down south but they said I didn`t send any ok messages. I reminded her that was the problem, the half dozen contacts and I received no messages at all. She responded with device was fine even though with her ``supervision``the messages did not work. Asked if she thought I was just a crank call making it up. Asked if I was the only one to ever phone with this problem. When she started talking in circles I cancelled my spot contract renewal.
So, disappointed with the whole thing. Had a few good years with the Spot but can`t trust it now. Maybe if they had proper customer service or an actual door you could walk through to talk to someone I wouldn`t be using lithium AAAs in my tv remote right now.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #3326
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
When using the Spot I did it all as per the book. ....

Next day a couple did work like normal up here.
Next day call from Spot she said their techs checked and the tracking worked down south but they said I didn`t send any ok messages. I reminded her that was the problem, the half dozen contacts and I received no messages at all. She responded with device was fine even though with her ``supervision``the messages did not work.
So your tracking was working, but your OK messages were not?

Edit: Nevermind, just went back and realized you had a Spot II, so my SPOT 1 reply wasn't relevant. That actually makes more sense since the tracking and OK are two different options on that device. I would think its a device issue with the OK button, but who knows.
Did you happen to try the Custom messages also? Were they not working either?

You could always pick up a SPOT 1 on the used market. They seem to be more robust than the SPOT II's and have a better history of working as they should.

Thankfully, I've never had to deal with their Customer Service, but my SPOT 1 is still going strong after 5+ years now I think?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #3327
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Tried all the buttons except help and sos. Unit was left on sometimes for the better part of a day before trying sending a message. A few times the message sent button would light up, but nothing showed up. They said tracking was working but it never showed up anywhere I or any of my contacts could see it so as far as I`m concerned it didn`t work. Not knowing if messages go out could mean the differance between making up a crutch and walking for a couple days on a fractured leg or broken ribs to safety or laying where I crashed and waiting for a rescue that never happens. The differance between finding my body and closure for my widow because the tracking works or an unsolved mystery to live with.
Sure I can carry a PLB as well, $ well spent if you need to use it. Also still have my Gen 1 spot in a box. But with my latest trouble and customer service that leaves me wall punching mad what is the point of encouraging poor quality and bad attitude with giving them my money....
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #3328
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

It's broken
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #3329
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,140
Cross-posting from Perfect Line...
An inmate friend is riding in the Central Mexico / Copper Canyon area. (Ding dong is out riding to Batopilas on a Wee-Strom, as if it were a Real Adventure Bike ).

Yesterday he hit the 'Custom' button on his SPOT 2 several times, which he's using to mean "not in need of help, but not completely OK", when he was stopped dealing with a flat tire and a couple other issues. None of them came through, although his OK and tracking points did. On previous trips (inside ConUS), Custom messages have come through fine.

To be clear: I don't just mean nobody got notified- The messages didn't come trhough. They're not logged in the SPOT database, with the tracking and OK messages.

Anyone have any experience with sending the 'Custom' message from a Spot 2 in that region? Either his device is malfunctioning, or whatever hardware and software is between him and the SPOT facility doesn't handle them.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #3330
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,140
Quote:
Forgive me if this question is answered else where in this thread. I have had a spot2 since they came out and the original before that. It works 99% perfect up here in Canada where I live. It's never worked the few times I've tried it in the southern states. Florida, Texas, Arizona ect. as recently as two weeks ago. Tried brand new batteries and leaving it on in clear skies for a couple hours before pressing the ok button but they don't show up. Unit shows the sent message indicator. Don't think it's my technique. Works fine up here......
Ah... sounds almost familiar.

Quote:
When using the Spot I did it all as per the book. Had a couple phone calls with them over the last two days. First woman was fairly rude and condensending. Could picture her chewing gum and doing her nails. Requested someone that wanted to help customers. Next woman was pleasent enough and we went through the whole start up and send procedure, messages did not work. Next day a couple did work like normal up here.
Next day call from Spot she said their techs checked and the tracking worked down south but they said I didn`t send any ok messages. I reminded her that was the problem, the half dozen contacts and I received no messages at all. She responded with device was fine even though with her ``supervision``the messages did not work. Asked if she thought I was just a crank call making it up. Asked if I was the only one to ever phone with this problem. When she started talking in circles I cancelled my spot contract renewal.
Read the fine print- I think you have to send them a letter to cancel. If you just let it go with non-payment and try to reactivate later (new device, for example), they'll bill you for ALL the time in between.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote