User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 847 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #28441
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,484
It's one thing to add shifts and increase utilization, another thing entirely to invest capital for expansion. I imagine the Gun Mfgs are doing the former, not the latter right now.

That said, organic expansion has its pains as well. New machinsts and operators may not produce things exactly the same way as the current crew, which can be a QC issue until the bugs are ironed out.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #28442
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,342
CSM is two flights down...

Show me yer gunz!
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #28443
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
I'm a manufacturer (not firearms) and it's time consuming and labor intensive (read expensive) to ramp a factory up to push more product out the door. With the country's insecure economy, I'd be very hesitant to expand when laws could change and negate extended growth. I cannot imagine Bushmaster expanding to meet current demand only to have their main product banned.

Mike
Manufacturer here also, used to be firearms, but no more. I have had 2 former competitors contact me to get some machine time as they are flat out. Neither is going to expand..just make hay while they can.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #28444
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
CSM is two flights down...

Show me yer gunz!
+1 couldn't have said it better myself

With that, meet my newest member to the family:
Rock Island 1911 45 ACP HiCap - 5"

I've already put Hogue wrap around grip and am ordering some Novak sights today. But i prob won't have the patience to wait and will take it this weekend to go break it in. It feels much better in my hand than my springfield ultra (double stack mag). This will not be a CC gun, so the 15 round mag doesn't bother me any
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #28445
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SS View Post
+1 couldn't have said it better myself

With that, meet my newest member to the family:
Rock Island 1911 45 ACP HiCap - 5"

I've already put Hogue wrap around grip and am ordering some Novak sights today. But i prob won't have the patience to wait and will take it this weekend to go break it in. It feels much better in my hand than my springfield ultra (double stack mag). This will not be a CC gun, so the 15 round mag doesn't bother me any
RIA!!!!

I love mine!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #28446
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
i know this is a pretty informal gun thread, and it's cool that you seem fairly calm about the problem with your glock. however, glock malfunctions aren't/shouldn't be too common.
I have a Gen 3 G23. The extraction problem often happens with Glocks over limp wristing. It's a very common problem, especially with Glocks. Their only real Kryptonite.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #28447
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
I'm a manufacturer (not firearms) and it's time consuming and labor intensive (read expensive) to ramp a factory up to push more product out the door. With the country's insecure economy, I'd be very hesitant to expand when laws could change and negate extended growth. I cannot imagine Bushmaster expanding to meet current demand only to have their main product banned.

Mike
My guess is they are switching machines from other parts to increase lower production. Get them made before they are outlawed. Everything else can be made postban if that happens.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #28448
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Did some shooting the other day on one of those nice rare 65deg days in January.

I just mounted the scope on the AR. I need a new mount for it. 20+ years shooting M16/AR15 with my nose to the charging handle. The Leupold cantilever mount does not put it far enough forward for my shooting position. Gonna order an ADM recon X mount for it.

First time shooting the Savage Mk II. I have a Boyd's stock on order for it. I did not get to play much since some friends came over and they wanted to shoot a little more dynamically, but so far I like it.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #28449
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
Did some shooting the other day on one of those nice rare 65deg days in January.

I just mounted the scope on the AR. I need a new mount for it. 20+ years shooting M16/AR15 with my nose to the charging handle. The Leupold cantilever mount does not put it far enough forward for my shooting position. Gonna order an ADM recon X mount for it.

First time shooting the Savage Mk II. I have a Boyd's stock on order for it. I did not get to play much since some friends came over and they wanted to shoot a little more dynamically, but so far I like it.

I just put a Burris P.E.P.R. mount on my 300 BLK build AR...Leupold VX-R scope. Works like a champ to move the scope forward. Though from your description it sounds like you want to move the scope backwards?

More here and here...

91Eunos screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 08:07 PM
91Eunos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #28450
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
It's one thing to add shifts and increase utilization, another thing entirely to invest capital for expansion. I imagine the Gun Mfgs are doing the former, not the latter right now.

That said, organic expansion has its pains as well. New machinsts and operators may not produce things exactly the same way as the current crew, which can be a QC issue until the bugs are ironed out.
Certainly.

The company I work for ramped up their production lines a while back, even putting on second shifts in some of their plants to meet demand. Now demand is down again and some orders have been cancelled, so a large backlog has almost evaporated.

The result? Layoffs in production plants. Possibly that may expand to the office and other non-production staff as well, including me. Boom and bust. It is a big risk to ramp up production. Much better to be struggling to meet demand than to to have to scale back because demand suddenly evaporates.

That said, I am not going to be doing any panic buying. I will be selling a few rifles while the prices are high, but I will still be staying below what many are asking. Later, when the panic subsides I will get some different rifles, but right now I have other uses for that money - like making mortgage payments if I get laid off.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #28451
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,003
how to on the home made shoot and see targets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVwPO...ZS6H_gFMrqR3hg
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #28452
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

I'm just talking expanded shifts and that sort of thing. Yeah...not feasible to have machinery made and expand facilities. Those companies are making money hand over fist right now since shop/msrp prices have jumped about 50% in the last couple of months. I doubt an AWB ban will pass but its crazy to think of how many jobs in the industry would be gone and how many companies would be out of business

I'm waiting for a huge influx of ammo to hit the market at some point from foreign manufacturers since they have to deal with shipping and that sort of thing. My local trip to pick up some ammo blew my mind.....I have never seen a market so out of whack.

.308 and .223/5.56 and 30-06/.270/.243/30-30 all at about a buck a round for mid-level stuff....there's no cheap stuff anywhere and a lot of whats available is reloads at those crazy prices

steel case 7.62x39 is over 50 cents per round now

Brick of .22 is $47 now and thats for ok stuff

50 rounds of crap range 9mm is $27

50 rounds of ok range .40 is $17

50 rounds of ok range .45 acp is $20

Intersitngly enough the 440 round surplus cans of 7.62x54 are only $110
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #28453
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
how to on the home made shoot and see targets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVwPO...ZS6H_gFMrqR3hg

very cool. thanks. i'm going to use this.

last year i invested in a salute brand e-type target (1/2 steel). was expensive, but there's nothing like shooting steel. i spray paint it between uses.

nice shooting btw.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #28454
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post

nice shooting btw.

thanks , the pistols were at about 20ft the 1st was a walther p22, then a sig p225 9mm and the last was at 50yrds with a ruger 10/22

now I need to find some more scrap steel peices , I want to make a steel flip down that when knocked down will flip up the cardboard shoot n see for the follow up shots . stay tuned .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #28455
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Eunos View Post
I just put a Burris P.E.P.R. mount on my 300 BLK build AR...Leupold VX-R scope. Works like a champ to move the scope forward. Though from your description it sounds like you want to move the scope backwards?

More here and here...

No. The scope is too far backwards for me where it is. I want it another 3" forward or so. That way when I shoot in the position I would with iron sights, I have the proper eye relief with the optic.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: