ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Oddometer: 113
Towing a 40' Trailer to Baja 1000 to Spectate, Am I Nuts?

So I've been wanting to go and spectate at the Baja 1000. I've never been south of the border and have lots of questions. My main question is about towing a 40' gooseneck race trailer down (it has living quarters in it so it's my camper and trailer in one). I'd like to bring bikes and stay for 2 weeks and do some riding, surfing, kite boarding, and just hang out. Can anyone point me in the direction for travel advisories or problems with getting down there? Does anyone have personal experience with it? Is this a dangerous trip? I'm pretty clueless about the area down south. Thanks in advance.
tyluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,010
Road wise you should have no trouble. Danger? travel anywhere is dangerous,but I've had no trouble so. of the boarder, just be aware of your surroundings. Sounds like a fun trip, Enjoy. Only trouble you may have is turning away the guys who will want to reupholster your trailer!
norton(kel) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
What town do you plan to go to?

The states of Baja do not require vehicle permits but you need your "tourist Visa" cards. Get those when you entered.

We (find the "Is Mexico Safe?" thread) ride into Mexico regularly. Few problems of any kind.

With that said:

* don't travel after dark. This is a cardinal rule, at least until those breeding programs for reflective horses and cattle become more advanced. Someone did have their transporter stolen on the toll road somewhere around Ensenada a few years ago but that was at something like 3-4AM - bandits are rare but if they are around they will be out after dark generally speaking.

* safety in numbers. There are probably a ton of transporters and RVs going to the races. Try to stay with them.

* in our part of Mexico, which does tend to be more to the East, certain tow vehicles are at higher risk of theft. Black Ford pickups, and to a lessor extent white pickups and other pickups are high on the list of things the cartels might pay attention to. Suburbans also used to be popular.

* don't carry firearms, that's a ticket to jail when you get caught

* don't run any road blocks. Lately you are more likely to meet the military and vigilantes than bad guys, and they don't want you as long as you stay the hell away from guns and dope.

You really shouldn't have any problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Don't be alone. Even when camping, don't be alone. Particularly at the beach, don't be the only guy setup camping there.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good info. I'm not sure where I'll be headed quite yet, I need to do some more research and find out where the best spots are. It would be great to travel with some other RVers, I'm sure I can find people to hook up with.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
norton(kel)
vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyluk View Post
Thanks for the replies. Lots of good info. I'm not sure where I'll be headed quite yet, I need to do some more research and find out where the best spots are. It would be great to travel with some other RVers, I'm sure I can find people to hook up with.
Hey I could go with you as your travel guide $3.00 a mile should take care of it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
In the spirit of capitalism I have to point out that I'd be happy to go as your guide for the paltry sum of $2 a mile.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
tyluk OP
That's what she said

I've got a bid for $2/mile. Do I hear anything lower? I have to mention that I'm a pain in the ass to hang out with and a fun vacuum, you may factor that into your bid.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
I wish I could remember more about this but during the race week I *think* there are special import laws for vehicles over a certain length. I'm sure it has something to do with the Vendors selling parts and the resultant import fees..?

This shouldn't have anything to do with you since you are not racing but in Baja I always treat "shouldn't" as "could".
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyluk View Post
I've got a bid for $2/mile. Do I hear anything lower? I have to mention that I'm a pain in the ass to hang out with and a fun vacuum, you may factor that into your bid.
In that case, I'll offer to guide for $8/mile.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
norton(kel)
vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
In that case, I'll offer to guide for $8/mile.

$10/mile if Geek goes, cause I'll fall down and get busted up