ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #4561
I GS 1
I 90S I
 
I GS 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SI, New Zealand
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
Its listing is in Japanese, so I thought maybe folks here have not seen it. About 27 minutes of the LC driving around S. Africa. Intermittently, and at the end, it shows good views of the bike and the controls in use.

Now, I'll try to imbed the video ;>

That looks like the pre launch testing and filming of promo material they did in Kenya. There are some nice shots in it. Thanks
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #4562
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer
 
ShaftEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A single rider out of dozens of unknown offroad skill, or even BMW MC experience, reports a minor perceived issue, and another who crashes under completely unknown circumstances, and some of you are acting like the bike has a fatal flaw and are yelling recall already?

Jim

Two journalists reported it. One U.S. and a Canadian. Read the reports. It scared the hell out of one. It didn't sound "minor" at all.

I didn't say anything about a recall. Just something to be aware of.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #4563
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Two journalists reported it. One U.S. and a Canadian. Read the reports. It scared the hell out of one. It didn't sound "minor" at all.

I didn't say anything about a recall. Just something to be aware of.
I wasn't pointing out you Ed.

As for the reports, the normal journalist who has little BMW experience always freaks about the telelever. I'm not putting much stock into it untill some of us ride it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #4564
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer
 
ShaftEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Actually it is.
If you're concerned about complexity, buy a KLR and leave the GS to people that aren't concerned about complexity and don't care all too much what they're getting into or trust BMW/Sachs to build a system that works.

I can't buy a KLR, there's no milk crate in the Touratech catalog.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #4565
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I've already ordered the bars from BMW, along with a load of other "must haves" Then went on to the Touratech site and blew another $800
Curios Rich, you spent money in $$, but you live in UK, or was it in ?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #4566
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Are you serious??

A man died and you're worried your new bike... If you're worried about your money, cancel your order and wait for the thorough investigation. I can assure you there will be plenty of new GSs.
With due respect, and not necessarily backing RichBMW, we are all very sorry for a loss of a life, however, like anything, life continues to move along. We have to be strong to over come this tragedy.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #4567
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Speaking of the catalog, I saw that there are Zega Pro2 cases coming. Didn't realize they had a new version coming out.
I would expect a different description to denote swapped sides, as the new Wasserstein Boxer has exhaust on the opposite side compared to current model. My take is that they are probably same hardware, features, etc.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #4568
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A single rider out of dozens of unknown offroad skill, or even BMW MC experience, reports a minor perceived issue, and another who crashes under completely unknown circumstances, and some of you are acting like the bike has a fatal flaw and are yelling recall already?

Jim
At last, someone speaks sense
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #4569
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Curios Rich, you spent money in $$, but you live in UK, or was it in ?
Nope, I ordered in , just translated into $ for you lot
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #4570
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,323
Just to put some specificity to this discussion of possible handling issues with the new GS, here is the quote from the Bike magazine article:
"The only unpleasant shock during the while 280-mile ride is a tankslapper so violent it snaps the lockstops off the frame. BMW chassis engineers seemed shocked to hear of it, claiming they never experienced anything of the sort in five long years and one million kilometers of testing. It does seem that I just happen to have stumbled on exactly the wrong combination of speed and road surface at the wrong time. Assuming it really is just a one-off - which, in all fairness, would appear to be the most likely explanation - then the new R1200GS is a remarkable machine."
You guys can argue about whether worrying about something like this with the amount of data we have is prudent or chicken-little.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #4571
Mav
Something witty...
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Just to put some specificity to this discussion of possible handling issues with the new GS, here is the quote from the Bike magazine article:
"The only unpleasant shock during the while 280-mile ride is a tankslapper so violent it snaps the lockstops off the frame. BMW chassis engineers seemed shocked to hear of it, claiming they never experienced anything of the sort in five long years and one million kilometers of testing. It does seem that I just happen to have stumbled on exactly the wrong combination of speed and road surface at the wrong time. Assuming it really is just a one-off - which, in all fairness, would appear to be the most likely explanation - then the new R1200GS is a remarkable machine."
You guys can argue about whether worrying about something like this with the amount of data we have is prudent or chicken-little.

- Mark
I notice he/she makes no reference to the impact to the "wrong combination" by the riders ability (or lack of), or the speed he was going at...

To snap the lock stops off and not wipeout would be quite something... but if there was a wipeout, is it not possible (more likely) they got broken off as the bike went down?
__________________
Mav

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #4572
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
To snap the lock stops off and not wipeout would be quite something...
It's actually more common than you'd think. Tankslappers have a natural oscillation frequency at specific speeds and the bike will decel just enough during the slapper to fall out of the zone and re-stabilize.

Regardless, it IS ridiculously scary if you have it happen to you.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #4573
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider
 
BordenBmw's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Grid Roads, Saskatchewan Canada
Oddometer: 735
New report!


__________________
So many roads so little time...
http://www.saskatchewandualsport.com/forum/
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #4574
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 899
Reading this doesn't scare me. I am quite sure mine will behave very well.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #4575
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ze_zaskar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: 4117'51.59"N / 843'56.76"W
Oddometer: 309
This new model seems to correct some details that I think are overly dumb about the current GS:

-Longer swingarm;
-Wet clutch that's not in the middle of the bike;
-Much higher air intake;
-Something closer to a "real" frame.

BMW got my attention with this, let's see how the reliability plays out.
I'm also waiting to see the Adventure model. I'm might be interested in that. Just imagine if it comes out with a 21'' wheel...

EDIT: Forgot about the bolted on passenger pegs on the improvements list
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014