Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #4576
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Just to put some specificity to this discussion of possible handling issues with the new GS, here is the quote from the Bike magazine article:
"The only unpleasant shock during the while 280-mile ride is a tankslapper so violent it snaps the lockstops off the frame. BMW chassis engineers seemed shocked to hear of it, claiming they never experienced anything of the sort in five long years and one million kilometers of testing. It does seem that I just happen to have stumbled on exactly the wrong combination of speed and road surface at the wrong time. Assuming it really is just a one-off - which, in all fairness, would appear to be the most likely explanation - then the new R1200GS is a remarkable machine."
You guys can argue about whether worrying about something like this with the amount of data we have is prudent or chicken-little.

- Mark
You know that journalist was paid off by KTM to say that, right?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #4577
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
New report!
Slipper clutch he say. Wonder how since the clutch crown is straight up and not helical (like Adler slipper clutches)...

Paul Jr
Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #4578
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A single rider out of dozens of unknown offroad skill, or even BMW MC experience, reports a minor perceived issue, and another who crashes under completely unknown circumstances, and some of you are acting like the bike has a fatal flaw and are yelling recall already?

Jim
It was probably caused by a failing final drive.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #4579
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Slipper clutch he say. Wonder how since the clutch crown is straight up and not helical (like Adler slipper clutches)...

Paul Jr
Might be borrowing a page from what Aprilia/Rotax did for the Mille and Tuono, with a vacuum/hydraulic "psuedo-slipper".
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #4580
Da Potentate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Liquid Cooled R1200 GS Adventure

Has BMW issued any info on when they will provide a liquid cooled R1200 GS Adventure? If not, whats your educated guess?
Da Potentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #4581
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
I'm also waiting to see the Adventure model. Just imagine if it comes out with a 21'' wheel.
That would be something, but it will never happen. Woody will be able to lace up a proper sized front rim easy enough though. He has sold lots of 21" front wheels for the GSs.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #4582
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
It was probably caused by a failing final drive.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #4583
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
I would expect a different description to denote swapped sides, as the new Wasserstein Boxer has exhaust on the opposite side compared to current model. My take is that they are probably same hardware, features, etc.
If you look later in the catalog it is a completely new model, not a ton different but they are listed and can be seen. Built in carry handle in the top recess of the lid, new mounting/locking system on the box, and some screws built into the sides to install accessory holders/racks. I also noticed the plastic corner protectors on the bottom actual run all the way across the bottom edge of the box, not just on the corner. They have model numbers for the Zega Pro2s listed for many bikes, including the new GS. Nothing comes up on the actual website though, just found in the catalog.

EDIT: Just looked it up, page 1090 of the catalog
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #4584
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Potentate View Post
Has BMW issued any info on when they will provide a liquid cooled R1200 GS Adventure? If not, whats your educated guess?
The Q&A on the MCN site said 12 months.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #4585
spraypilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
How much $$$$ and when will it be on the U.S.A. showrooms?
spraypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #4586
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Thanks for the link.

A quote:

"It handles far better than the old bike, much more controlled, and the large 19inch front wheel almost feels like a 17."

Aha!

I am not sure what he is noticing there - it is hard to imagine the wheel is any lighter, given the wider tyre, and so it should steer just the same given similar geometry. But he's noticed something, and liked it.

A lot of it might be simply tyre construction and profile. Can make a huge difference.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #4587
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Just to put some specificity to this discussion of possible handling issues with the new GS, here is the quote from the Bike magazine article:
"The only unpleasant shock during the while 280-mile ride is a tankslapper so violent it snaps the lockstops off the frame. BMW chassis engineers seemed shocked to hear of it, claiming they never experienced anything of the sort in five long years and one million kilometers of testing. It does seem that I just happen to have stumbled on exactly the wrong combination of speed and road surface at the wrong time. Assuming it really is just a one-off - which, in all fairness, would appear to be the most likely explanation - then the new R1200GS is a remarkable machine."
You guys can argue about whether worrying about something like this with the amount of data we have is prudent or chicken-little.

- Mark
Mark, is that a quote from Bike magazine UK? A special from their iPad edition? AFAIK they don't have an online presence and I'd not have thought they could have squeezed a review onto paper so quickly.

FWIW, here is a similar quote from the report at US webzine motorcycle.com:

"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.

"We can’t yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing. This is quite unexpected considering the chassis geometry is essentially unchanged from the previous model, plus there were no stability issues whatsoever during high-speed road riding."

Edit: and one more related comment, this time from the piece at canadamotoguide.com:

"The only hiccup in the bike’s handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isn’t alarming; it’s just that I don’t remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this."

BTW: this is NOT to encourage speculation about the Kevin Ash tragedy. Speculation about the behaviour of the bike is a separate and perfectly relevant matter. I don't find those quotes particularly concerning, but OTOH their authors obviously were concerned enough to report them.

Moronic screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 05:36 PM Reason: Added CMG quote
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #4588
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
A lot of the press on the launch of the new bike in South Africa had little or no offroad experience. What does that tell you?
Not sure about that. This contradicts one of the reviews I read which said just the opposite and that many of the reviewers grew up riding motorcross.

Edit:

Here is the quote from Bart Madson of Motorcycle USA: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/857/15...irst-Ride.aspx

A disclaimer for the hardcore GS-ites here: I am a relative novice off-road, as compared to most of my editorial kin, who learned to ride in the dirt and at a young age (it would seem some may have exited the womb crossed up and roosting the doctors). My skill set found the Enduro mode’s gentle throttle encouraging on the loose stuff. I was able to initiate easy, controllable slides. Even more impressive is the ABS setting.

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 06:11 PM
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #4589
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Mark, is that a quote from Bike magazine UK? A special from their iPad edition? AFAIK they don't have an online presence and I'd not have thought they could have squeezed a review onto paper so quickly.

FWIW, here is a similar quote from the report at US webzine motorcycle.com:

"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.

"We canít yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing. This is quite unexpected considering the chassis geometry is essentially unchanged from the previous model, plus there were no stability issues whatsoever during high-speed road riding."

Edit: and one more related comment, this time from the piece at canadamotoguide.com:

"The only hiccup in the bikeís handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isnít alarming; itís just that I donít remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this."

BTW: this is NOT to encourage speculation about the Kevin Ash tragedy. Speculation about the behaviour of the bike is a separate and perfectly relevant matter. I don't find those quotes particularly concerning, but OTOH their authors obviously were concerned enough to report them.
As previously posted by MarkJenn:

So, in two days of riding several hundred miles, we have three journalists out of a total of 20 bikes that we know of that have reported this handling issue. I'm a huge fan of BMW and the GS and am #2 on my dealer's list but I must say this is concerning to me.

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 09:47 PM Reason: replace quote with proper one
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #4590
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post

So, in two days of riding several hundred miles, we have three journalists out of a total of 20 bikes that we know of that have reported this handling issue. Although the above report seems much more mild than the other two reported. I'm a huge fan of BMW and the GS and am #2 on my dealer's list but I must say this is concerning to me.
Especially given Kevin Ash's accident on gravel and BMW's ensuing silence.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote