Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Oddometer: 13
Coast to Coast Ride / Soldier On Fundraiser

Hi, my name is Master Corporal ( retired ) Fraser Dull , I served in the
Canadian Forces for 12 years from 1998 to 2010 as an infantryman and paratrooper first in the reserves and later in
3 PPCLI . I have done 3 tours in Bosnia
and Afghanistan with my last tour from September 2009 to May 2010. I
released in September 2010 due to service related injuries for which I
have permanent disabilities in my upper and lower back , right leg along
with other injuries I sustained in Afghanistan . I am currently attending university as part of my
rehabilitation program.

I am passionate about motorcycling and after my last tour in Afghanistan I went through two
years of physiotherapy to be able to ride again. I am planning on doing
a coast to coast trip across Canada after this semester of school on my
2009 Harley XR1200 as a fundraiser. Due to my injuries and since the motorcycle isn't
exactly setup for long trip this will be a challenging en devour for
which I have been planning for some time to do and now have the ability
to do.

I will traveling across Canada this May as a fundraiser for the Soldier On Fund , starting in Edmonton, Alberta and riding to the Yukon then to Vancouver and across Canada to Newfoundland , my goal is to raise at least a dollar for every km I travel. I'm currently looking for advice from people experienced with doing big rides like this or have done fundraising rides as to the best way to do this , I'm open to any suggestions .I will be filming and keeping a webpage updated with my progress, I'm currently looking for sponsors to help me do this ride .Here is what I have so far :

Bike: 2009 XR1200 with 9000 km
D+D Bobcat full 2 into 1 with carbon fiber " concentric flow baffle" muffler
Thunder Max with Auto Tune
"2 rise Vance and Hines Racing Handlebars
YSS Rear Shocks ( one needs servicing )
Oberon Brake / Shift Levers
Magnum Clutch Cable
Sato Shift Assembly and Pegs
Sato Frame Slider
Twin Motorcycle High Performance Air box
Corbin Seat
HD Get a Grip , Grips
HD Tour Pack back and side bags and bungy bars /luggage rack/ hardware
detachable XR1200 sport windshield ( handlebar attachment broken on one side )

Kit:
Jupiter's Travels
Go Pro Hero2 + Wifi backpack / remote
Netbook and cables to hook up to Thunder Max tuner
CamelBak 3 Day patrol pack
Light weight -10 sleeping bag
Lot's of compression sacks and dry bags
MEC air mattress
Riding Jacket
HD 3/4 Helmet / Beanie helmet/ riding sunglasses / gloves / face mask
Rain gear
Warm clothes from my army days
Garmin Trek old GPS / Garmin mini tracking GPS
Trauma Kit to handle everything from gunshots to needle chest decompression , Tactical combat casualty care qualified .
Pen Flare / Bear Bangers

cheers

xxDUFFYxx screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 09:15 PM
xxDUFFYxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,962
I would contact Soldier On and tell them of your plans. They should have some contacts for sponsors as well as the Base Chiefs so you can get each Base's support as you move across the country.

Don't know much about your bike, your condition, or your long distance experience. This could be an 11000k journey and you need to be in shape for this, both mind and body.

A quick scan thru your list and I don't see a small compressor or tire plug kit....

good luck...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I would contact Soldier On and tell them of your plans. They should have some contacts for sponsors as well as the Base Chiefs so you can get each Base's support as you move across the country.

Don't know much about your bike, your condition, or your long distance experience. This could be an 11000k journey and you need to be in shape for this, both mind and body.

A quick scan thru your list and I don't see a small compressor or tire plug kit....

good luck...

I have been in contact with them as the Soldier On Fund is the beneficiary , basically they can provide some support as in arranging media interviews and providing informational / promotional materials and whatnot but for the actual fundraising and getting sponsors to do the trip it's up to me . As this is a grassroots type fundraiser being done by myself , word of mouth and social media are going to be the main ways of raising funds along with visiting smaller communities and engaging local media and communities as I travel .
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
Don't forget bug spray for the north, and sunscreen to prevent stupid tan lines on your face.

I would also consider going ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), mainly to deal with the environment as well as protection. I did my first trip to Alaska with rain gear and hated it when I had to stop when I saw the prospect of rain on the horizon and wrestle into rain gear. Now with full gear, I just close my visor and ride through it. Mind you that's my opinion colored with the experience of bouncing and sliding off a few things.

Also I would pack light and simple. Keep some room for stuff you may acquire on the road. Also don't be afraid to use Canada Post to ship back stuff you may accumulate and don't need. I sent back 5 boxes of souvenirs and stuff back home on my cross Canada trip.

And don't worry about being in shape in both mind a body. I'm an ex-wheelchair pilot with trips to Alaska, Mexico and cross Canada under my belt. I would plan your ride with one day of rest once a week and keep the daily distance at a reasonable level. Also I would look carefully at the ergonomics of your bike and make sure that it doesn't put you in a bad position. I tend to slouch after a long day on the road. That might kill you. And as for the mind, well we all ride motorcycles, so the mind is already a lost cause. :)

And if you're in Nakusp, BC in the last week of August, feel free to drop into the Horizons Unlimited meeting. You'll get a hero's welcome there.

Good luck in your travels.

Mike
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgrizzly View Post
Don't forget bug spray for the north, and sunscreen to prevent stupid tan lines on your face.

I would also consider going ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), mainly to deal with the environment as well as protection. I did my first trip to Alaska with rain gear and hated it when I had to stop when I saw the prospect of rain on the horizon and wrestle into rain gear. Now with full gear, I just close my visor and ride through it. Mind you that's my opinion colored with the experience of bouncing and sliding off a few things.

Also I would pack light and simple. Keep some room for stuff you may acquire on the road. Also don't be afraid to use Canada Post to ship back stuff you may accumulate and don't need. I sent back 5 boxes of souvenirs and stuff back home on my cross Canada trip.

And don't worry about being in shape in both mind a body. I'm an ex-wheelchair pilot with trips to Alaska, Mexico and cross Canada under my belt. I would plan your ride with one day of rest once a week and keep the daily distance at a reasonable level. Also I would look carefully at the ergonomics of your bike and make sure that it doesn't put you in a bad position. I tend to slouch after a long day on the road. That might kill you. And as for the mind, well we all ride motorcycles, so the mind is already a lost cause. :)

And if you're in Nakusp, BC in the last week of August, feel free to drop into the Horizons Unlimited meeting. You'll get a hero's welcome there.

Good luck in your travels.

Mike
Thanks for the advice and support.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 777
On a Harley Eh? Have you approached Deeley Imports for a little help.Just a thought.You could set up donation sites at dealers across Canada.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain View Post
On a Harley Eh? Have you approached Deeley Imports for a little help.Just a thought.You could set up donation sites at dealers across Canada.

Woodgrain
I've attempted emailing them but no response , I'll call again Monday and hopefully get the contact info for the right person or at least someone that I can get a response from. I've gotten initial support from a well respected suspension expert who works for race teams who's in Ontario he mentioned "re-engineering" the XR1200 so hopefully he can help set up the bike.

My best friend who lost a leg after his vehicle was hit by an anti-tank rocket in Afghanistan in 2008 and lost 3 section members and friends at the same time has a ran successful fundraiser before and now is going to be helping me and be my ground support for the trip .

Big businesses aren't as eager to help out as they were , it seems once the war is out of the news its out of peoples minds but us veterans are still here . It's just a little disheartening , I don't mind being rejected but it would be nice to at least get a response back.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,542
Hi Fraser,

If your route takes you anywhere near Hamilton, Ontario there's a guest room for you and tools to work on your bike. Feel free to drop by for a visit.

All the best with your plans and safe riding to you.

Lawrence

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #9
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/publ...-were-soldiers

This about you and company??

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

Tent space list, will save your money and make new friends...

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 05:17 AM
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/publ...-were-soldiers

This about you and company??

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

Tent space list, will save your money and make new friends...
Yes that's me in the article , wrong link for Soldier On though ,I was lucky enough to be able to go on a fly in Fly- fishing trip through Project Healing Waters and Soldier On helped out with my flights and accommodations getting there and back.

Spoke with John Sharrard of Accelerated Technologies a suspension expert today who volunteered to set up the bikes suspension . I hope the YSS shocks I have are up for the job after being rebuilt , wish I could get donated some Ohlins :) . Doing my route planning I'm wondering how to figure out where there are gas stations to know how far I can plan and how much fuel I'll have to keep with me all the time .

xxDUFFYxx screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 03:16 PM
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
If you're through Prince George on your way to/from the Yukon, drop me a line. Tent space as well as a spare room available if you need a break from camping! Good luck with the rest of your trip planning and fundraising efforts. And most importantly, thank you very much for your service.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDUFFYxx View Post
. Doing my route planning I'm wondering how to figure out where there are gas stations to know how far I can plan and how much fuel I'll have to keep with me all the time .
While most areas will have gas a couple hundred kms between them, I would want to be able to cover well over 300kms. My bike gets about 320-340, and if I were doing your trip I'd still take a can with another 4-5 liters.
Another consideration is to fill whenever possible when you go below 1/2 full. This will get you off the bike to stretch a little and make some parts of trip less stressful.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
While most areas will have gas a couple hundred kms between them, I would want to be able to cover well over 300kms. My bike gets about 320-340, and if I were doing your trip I'd still take a can with another 4-5 liters.
Another consideration is to fill whenever possible when you go below 1/2 full. This will get you off the bike to stretch a little and make some parts of trip less stressful.

Yes that was what I was thinking , on past road trips I always carried a 5 liter jerry , for this do to some of the area's I'm planning to carry or have the capacity for 10 liters and a little hand pump for emergencies . Planning on using the whisper lite/ mountain stove type fuel bottles you can get from MEC and other outdoors places . The infantry taught me how to maximize efficiency of what I carry especially when I lived from what I carried on my back .
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
I didn't see a way to send a contribution. Pay Pal or email transfers work.

As far as riding the trip. I would ride an hour and take a 5 minute break and work up from there. Gives the hands etc a rest. A throttle rocker or throttle lock can be helpful. Quiet muffler is a good idea. Full face helmet is good too, there are models that are better at keeping the noise out. A good riding suit that is water proof and good boots that are water proof. A windshield is a good thing. Heated vest with a variable controller can be a great help in the early morning or in the rain, simple vest that fits the body tight over a tee shirt. I wouldn't ride after dark in most of Canada. I personally don't ride fast as the extra noise tires me out over time. I guess make sure you drink enough water in the hot weather.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

I will post a link for donations once I launch my page with details for how individuals can donate . I'm working on getting sponsors right now but will be doing the trip regardless with money I have received from lump sum disability awards . It would just be a lot easier on me financially with some sponsors and the bike kitted out for this type of long ride and gear too.

xxDUFFYxx screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 03:03 PM