Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #5836
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,141
I always thought that for something to be considered a scooter the engine had to be on/part of the rear swingarm.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #5837
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #5838
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
From the wiki entry for moped:

Ontario Canada rule:
(e) that does not have sufficient power to enable the bicycle to attain a speed greater than 50 kilometres per hour (31 mph) on level ground within a distance of 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from a standing start.

Not exactly going to burn up the quarter mile.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #5839
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
I recently rented a moped which is a motorized two wheel vehicle where the operator does not need a motorcycle license endorsement. AFAIK, it only needed to be under 50cc. The one I had indicated 55 kph with two up. Not sure if we were really traveling at that rate but that was the speedo's indication.

I think that in many areas, the operator does not need any driver's license at all. The place I rented it from did not copy down my driver's license info implying to me that the demand to see it was for I.D. only.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #5840
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm View Post
One day I decided to ride my motorcycle to work. A surprised co-worker said " I didn't know you rode motorcycles, you don't look the type"

Huh?
I get that all the time my self. "You look more like a Scooter guy."

Must be my glasses.
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #5841
Casey.
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Since you're a new rider, I'm going to give you some very important advice. The answer to the above question is, "No, sorry. I don't let people ride my bikes." If they continue asking the answer becomes, "No. And quit fucking asking me. It's starting to piss me off."

There's no need to feel like a dick when you say it. The person asking is actually being a dick simply by asking. Anyone who know anything about bikes knows not to ask.
I just don't have the personality for that, nor the build to fight off the ensuing violent response. They may be a dick, but I think my best chance of keeping my bike and my bones intact is by ignoring them / shaking my head.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #5842
waffles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I had an odd encounter the other day

I was at a pub for a classic bike meet and I decided to go on my (kickstart only) supermoto which doesn't always play ball when starting from cold. An older guy comes up to me and wants to chat about bike things then he becomes an expert mechanic and starts pointing out all of the things that are "wrong" with my bike. The chain is too loose, the chain is rubbing on the tyre, the tyre is too close to the swingarm, your numberplate is too small.... I decided to bail out at that point as my friends had left me alone with this guy who was starting to make me feel uncomfortable! I hop on, give it a few kicks and get nothing back. I decompress, try again, still nothing. While I am fiddling with the choke he walks back over looking very concerned and spits this gem out

"Oh no! Has someone STOLEN YOUR SPARK PLUG?"

I am pleased to say that nobody stole my spark plug, my chain is not too loose nor are my tyres rubbing on anything and I made it home safely!
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #5843
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Not a stupid question but here's my stupid answer.

My K75 contains parts from lord knows how many different bikes/years so whenever somebody inevitably asks what year it is:

Me: "About twelve."

Then I explain that it's a Frankenbike.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #5844
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Not a stupid question but here's my stupid answer.

My K75 contains parts from lord knows how many different bikes/years so whenever somebody inevitably asks what year it is:

Me: "About twelve."

Then I explain that it's a Frankenbike.
This Johnny Cash song is for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #5845
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
I just don't have the personality for that, nor the build to fight off the ensuing violent response. They may be a dick, but I think my best chance of keeping my bike and my bones intact is by ignoring them / shaking my head.
Most importantly, the answer is always "No."

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #5846
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Most importantly, the answer is always "No."
What about..."I'll think about it and get back to you. See ya!" VROOM.........

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #5847
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
I just don't have the personality for that, nor the build to fight off the ensuing violent response.
Good Lord. What sort of cretins are you dealing with that would offer violence when (correctly) denied permission to ride your motorcycle?
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #5848
Casey.
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
Good Lord. What sort of cretins are you dealing with that would offer violence when (correctly) denied permission to ride your motorcycle?
Haha. Jim's suggestion was a bit more than denial of permission.

I had a situation today that cracked me up. There were two Mormon guys that were biking down the neighborhood. My mailbox is at the end of the street, and I gave a friendly wave to them when I got my mail. When I got to my house, I quickly started getting my gear on to go ride. I had forgotten about them whilst putting my boots on by the door, and with all my gear except for one boot on, a knock came to the door. I answered and remembered. I treat these guys respectfully. Only one of them was doing the talking, and he was clearly very nervous. After about 30 seconds, he posed a question to me, and I indicated that I wasn't interested. Then, as I'm about to close the door, the guy in the back (who hadn't said a word yet), yells "what kind of bike do you ride?" I told him and closed the door. I couldn't contain my laughter once it was shut. Nothing wrong with asking, but he clearly wasn't too focused on his mission at hand
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #5849
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
...There were two Mormon guys that were biking down the neighborhood. ... the guy in the back (who hadn't said a word yet), yells "what kind of bike do you ride?" I told him and closed the door. I couldn't contain my laughter once it was shut. Nothing wrong with asking, but he clearly wasn't too focused on his mission at hand
I'm not so sure.

On the face of it the mission is to go out and convert heathen. At that level, you're dead right.

But on a much deeper level I am sure that the mission is to take sheltered young boys from Utah and turn them into confident young men who are comfortable in their faith and culture as Mormons in the larger world beyond Utah, and who are better equipped for a lifetime of interacting with, and sometimes even converting the heathens.

And on that level, while he might not have been doing what he'd been told to go out and do, I suspect he was doing exactly what his elders wanted him to do.

My Mormon story dates back to 1980 when there was a knock at the door nearly 10,000 miles from Utah and one of my friends opened the door; the conversation went like this:

"Hi, we're from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and we'd like to talk to you about Gaaard."
"That's nice, we're not, no thank you, goodbye."

I'm sure that like me, the mormons were still processing what he had said after the door had closed.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #5850
max1138
unsentinent wanderer

Oddometer: 104
a good one

one of my favorite stories to tell is the guy who pulled up beside me in a monstrous harley branded ford diesel with an ultra classic in the back and yells: buy a real bike".(i was on a ducati at the time) I yelled back" i did, I just didnt have enough money for a new truck to haul it in so im riding this one instead." his girlfriend/wife laughed so loud i could hear her over the sound of the diesel screeching away from the light.
max1138 is offline   Reply With Quote