User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #226
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
New to me soon!

I'm planning on picking up this 2011 TE250 on Sunday. Come the summer of 2014, I hope to ride it coast to coast with some buddies via the BRT and TAT. I've done a lot of research and I think I'll enjoy having such a light weight bike and traveling light way more than I would bringing a ton of crap on a big pig (I once had an '85 XR600). Anyone done some big miles on their TE250?
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #227
Liza
Dirty Girl

Oddometer: 219
I'd suggest a more comfortable seat.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #228
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza View Post
agree, and make sure you are NOT geared the way i am...yikes...
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #229
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me View Post
I'm planning on picking up this 2011 TE250 on Sunday. Come the summer of 2014, I hope to ride it coast to coast with some buddies via the BRT and TAT. I've done a lot of research and I think I'll enjoy having such a light weight bike and traveling light way more than I would bringing a ton of crap on a big pig (I once had an '85 XR600). Anyone done some big miles on their TE250?
IMHO the te250 is not a long distance machine, I love mine at speeds below 50mph. Anything above that I find quite uncomfortable for long periods. The front wheel wanders at 70 pretty bad for me and the motor is really strung out. And the vibes suck, my hands go numb. I have dirt oriented gearing and tires, which accounts for half of that.

What are you planning to use for storage? you are going to be limited to soft luggage, which isn't too big a deal.
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #230
Beer_me
JY

I'm thinking of going with a Giant loop Coyote. Plus my buddy is likely to buy a Terra. He can bring a few nice-to-have items I can't fit. ;) The 250 may admittedly be a stretch. I'll assess over this summer and sell if need be to find a slightly bigger bike. But with the gearing and seat swap I'm hoping it'll work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
'11 Husky TE250
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #231
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
Check out kriegas setup, the overland 30. A fellow advrider pointed it out to me and I think it looks better than the gl coyote

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778304

You will have fun no matter what bike you take.

In my experience the te uses quite a bit of oil, especially when you rev it. So make sure you keep an eye on that. Its much worse during breakin.

Just make sure you take lots of pictures on your trip
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #232
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:

change your oil often. the bike doesnt hold very much of it.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #233
Beer_me
JY

Thanks for the heads up on the Kriegas. Does look like a quality setup. The current GL Coyote bags are presently on clearance (new model coming out next year) for under $250. Might be my deciding factor although I've got time so I suppose I ought to be patient. Hard to do when you've embraced a goal and just want to jump right in.

Good to know about the oil. I was figuring on bringing at least on 1L or 1.5L cannister for fuel; sounds like I ought to plan on a 2nd liter for oil. That's +1 for the Krieger as you can get 30L of capacity in the saddlebags and still fit an additional tailpack. But that *could* lead me to packing too much. ;)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #234
Beer_me
JY

Swamp,
Clicked through to your Entelecheia blog/thread/project/commitment. Bad ass bro. Just started it but will read it through.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #235
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza View Post
I replaced my 250's seat with an oak 2X4, big improvement....
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #236
Beer_me
JY

Talking

Quote:
I replaced my 250's seat with an oak 2X4, big improvement....
Seriously funny. I can't wait to replace mine with maple or pine. If I was where I grew up, I'd go with Douglas Fir so as to get the added bonus of grip from the pitch.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #237
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Seriously funny. I can't wait to replace mine with maple or pine. If I was where I grew up, I'd go with Douglas Fir so as to get the added bonus of grip from the pitch.
funny thing is, i actually do not have issues with my seat. way more comfortable then my klx250s...
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #238
sunset_ryder
aka "toots"

Oddometer: 583
Why can't you put a tail rack or tank bag on the Husky.
sunset_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #239
Beer_me
JY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_ryder View Post
Why can't you put a tail rack or tank bag on the Husky.
Well, I'm sure one could fit something small up at the front of the seat but it would hardly be a tank bank in the traditional sense. As you can see, there's barely any tank between the seat and the steering head.

As the rear rack, the only one I find that fits out of the box is a small little thing from Touratech.

But it may be all the rack I'd really want. Obviously it's not good sense to choose a 250 and then try to pack as much as I would on my Multistrada.

There is another guy--and I have the link somewhere--that sells a kit to fit this rack to the 250.

The attraction of the Giant Loop bag for me is that you don't need any additional hard parts on the bike. My buddy bought one so when I get my 250, I'm going to borrow it and see if I think I can get all the stuff I'll for sure want to take (tent, sleeping bag & pad, fuel cannister, etc) and see if there's room left over for the stuff I don't yet have sorted. Should be interesting.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #240
sk8er406
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Maybe you guys could help me make up my mind. I'm looking at getting a new bike and have been looking at an 09 te250 or ktm 450, 400 exc. all are street legal for Ca and I ride forest service roads, trails and some single track. Some road to get to trails and to connect trails. What bike should I get?
sk8er406 is offline   Reply With Quote