ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by no2tracks View Post
They did the same out in the 717 system. Turned nice flowy singletrack into endurocross tracks.
Now if they build an EX track out there you won't hear me complaining.

Lots of spare logs to work with.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,471
Standing dead beetle-kill is far worse, even from a moto perspective, then clear cutting. Keeping the trails cleared becomes impossible as every windstorm knocks down another few dozen 2,000 pound lodgepoles across the trails...
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Standing dead beetle-kill is far worse, even from a moto perspective, then clear cutting. Keeping the trails cleared becomes impossible as every windstorm knocks down another few dozen 2,000 pound lodgepoles across the trails...
West Mag had a minimal amount of standing dead. This was a "100 year preventative maintenance".

Owning a home right across the highway and going through the dry Spring last year with lightning fires every week I'm actually pretty happy about the reduced fire danger, but I'm still not convinced that a total demolition style clearcut was necessary to get that.

Que sera sera.

PS - aside from the FS road through the middle, the mitigation doesn't affect moto anyway. The only trails in that part are non-moto.

thump_co screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 09:00 PM
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
West Mag had a minimal amount of standing dead. This was a "100 year preventative maintenance".

Owning a home right across the highway and going through the dry Spring last year with lightning fires every week I'm actually pretty happy about the reduced fire danger, but I'm still not convinced that a total demolition style clearcut was necessary to get that.
I assumed it was beetle kill.... So much of it in the area that really needs to be cut, it's hard to fathom clear-cutting live trees, even if they are overgrown and unmanaged dog-hair stands.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Oilburner375
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I used to explore that on my mtb. From the pics, it looks like they hacked it up pretty good.

Reading the web page, they said it was done to reduce fire load and do something with the beetles. Anyone know if they plan to plant or just let nature take it's course?
In lodgepole pine forests there is no need to replant after a disturbance, such as a fire, blow down, or a clear cut. A clear cut is actually a silvicultural method of harvesting trees in order to regenerate the forest. The term is often mis-used and associated with deforestation. By no means is the US Forest Service (I am not affiliated with the green pants wearing Federal agency) plan to not have trees there in the future. The slash is mostly left on the ground (along with cones). Once exposed to heat, sun or fire, these cones will actually open and drop their seeds to begin the next generation of trees. I will bet that in less than 10 years there will be 3 to 6 ft tall pine saplings and aspen flourishing in these areas.

I know it looks bad now, but give it some time. Better than a wild fire, which will do a lot worse damage over the long term in affecting soil conditions, erosion, and air quality to name a few. Not to mention our ability to use this area for recreation.

Due to the lack of natural wildfires we are way past being able to let Mother Nature take its course, in my opinion. I do not agree with current policies that the US Farce Service has taken, but I do believe the mechanical harvest is a better option than a wildfire in this particular area. Just my .02.
Oilburner375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
I assumed it was beetle kill.... So much of it in the area that really needs to be cut, it's hard to fathom clear-cutting live trees, even if they are overgrown and unmanaged dog-hair stands.
Can't argue with that.. I'm not sure what the budget is for the whole Lump Gulch Fuels Treatment Project (West Mag is just a small part), but it has to be massive. Seems odd to spend so much on this side of the divide while all of Grand County remains a standing tinderbox.