Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
Kymco sold the 2 stroke horizontal Honda motor in the US and Daelim sold both the 50 and 100cc horizontal honda 2 stroke here. A Ruckus with a kitted 100cc honda design 2 stroke would be way too much fun.
What are the cost and availability of these engines? What kind of "kit" is available for a "Honda design 2-stroke?"

I have to admit, what piqued my interest about the Ruckus in the first place is its unique appearance. I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to make one go faster if there are worthwhile, reliable and cost effective options.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
Thanks, that is what I was asking for. I thought of those "hop-up" kits for small scooters mostly as gimmicky and of dubious value. I guess my bias for maxi-scooters shows. (but not intended)
I hadn't really thought of smaller scoots in that way. My humblest apologies.

Oh I fully understand about a person liking to modify their mode of transport. My signature line gives hints of that. And yes indeed I see them as more than mere appliances; without question.
Prized possessions comes to mind.
No problem.
No apologies needed. I hope my response wasn't seen as too aggressive.

I've seen some 125 Zuma's on YouTube that claim to have over 200cc's. It may not be financially responsible or even sane, but it does sound like fun.

I also agree with you. If you want to go fast as a number one priority, then buy the bigger cc engine from the start. Otherwise you can waste a lot of money for very small gains in hp and performance.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Florida doesn't require insurance on motorcycles. But even if you do, it's around $100 a year per bike for full coverage - that's cheap. The annual tag/plate is less than $50.

Motorcycle endorsement is required over 50cc, but this is so easy to get it's ridiculous. There are classes every weekend, rain or shine, and passing the class means no additional testing at the DMV. Florida renews driver licenses every 8-10 years and adds $5 to the cost of your license for the MC endorsement.

So, unless you've got a DUI or some other problem, the addidtional licensing costs in Florida are minimal.

MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
I have to admit, what piqued my interest about the Ruckus in the first place is its unique appearance. I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to make one go faster if there are worthwhile, reliable and cost effective options.
Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, something along the lines of one of these Chinese 150cc clones might fit your criteria -

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/vie...p?f=11&t=56069
Moat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
In my state, even a 50cc scooter requires a motorcycle license, plates, registration, and insurance, so trying to get more speed out of one does not really make any sense, UNLESS THAT IS YOUR HOBBY. I have been modifying cars for more power all my life, one of the reasons I don't like newer cars, because there is not really anything you can do with them. But there are zillions of aftermarket parts for a small block Chevy, and all the knowledge to do whatever you want with it is already out there. You can double the stock power of one, and if you use the right high quality parts, it will still be reliable. Of course it won't be cheap.

But bikes are not easily modified, and when they are, you usually lose reliability and longevity. For less than what it costs to mod a Ruckus, you can buy a brand new scooter that will go even faster. I have seen people on forums that have over $10K into a Ruckus. Of course there is virtually no stock Ruckus parts still on it, but for that kind of money, I would buy either a maxi scoot or a motorcycle. And the most common motor used in the Ruckus is, of all things, the 150cc CHINESE GY6, that comes in brand new $800 Chinese scooters.

Since I own a Yamaha Zuma 125, I joined a Zuma forum. They don't talk about anything there BUT modifications. I bought the thing to ride. I saw one thread where someone's highly modded engine blew up, and he decided that since he was going to have to rebuild it anyway, he might as well try to make it even faster, even though he knew modding it was what caused the failure in the first place. These guys seem to get a lot more fun out of wrenching and spending money on parts than actually riding.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moat View Post
Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, something along the lines of one of these Chinese 150cc clones might fit your criteria -

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/vie...p?f=11&t=56069
I like to turn wrenches.

I have to admit, for less than $800, that sure is intriguing.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I found a place close to me that has several different Chinese Ruckus clones, all 150cc. They even have a "prestretched" one. http://www.performancescooter.net/
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
What are the cost and availability of these engines? What kind of "kit" is available for a "Honda design 2-stroke?"
Big Bore kits and expansion chambers are readily available. You need to find a wrecked People 50 with the horizontal engine, or one of the Daelims that has it. Kymco also used it on other models, but they used the old Vertical Honda motor too, so you have to make sure that the bike has the horizontal motor before you buy it. The People 50 is a great setup because it's a longcase motor, so you have a lot of tire options.