ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #14551
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanbojangles View Post
I replaced the stock muffler on my 1998 Suzuki DR350SE with the stock muffler from a Honda CRF250X. The swap was fairly simple as I already had an oversized header pipe from kientech.com. The oversized header has a 1.5" outside diameter which was a perfect match for the CRF250X's muffler, which had a 1.5" inside diameter. The CRF250X muffler fits very well, it has all the right bends, and the depression in the muffler for the brake caliper is in the perfect place on the DR350SE. All I had to do was make a small bracket out of some steel plate from the tractor store and order a small piece of straight exhaust tubing to fit over the header and into the muffler's inlet. The new muffler sounds wonderful, requires no repacking, and has a USFS approved spark arrestor. I can't tell if there's any improvement in the power output, but I certainly haven't lost any power. I am very happy with the results of this Inexpensive mod.


DSCN0325 by duncanbojangles, on Flickr

DSCN0326 by duncanbojangles, on Flickr

DSCN0350 by duncanbojangles, on Flickr

DSCN0344 by duncanbojangles, on Flickr

Here's a video of the bike running with the new muffler. It was a fairly warm day, and the bike was started from cold. I let it warm up choked, then took it off of choke and opened the throttle a bit so you could hear how it responds.
http://youtu.be/cF6URSbSSr4
So what is the point of this?? Not trying to be an ass. Is it lighter? Can you run the side panel.
I am looking for a almost bolt on, OEM exhaust from a redialy availble bike, that is lighter, gets me more power (need to rejet), and is jsut as quite as the stock DR350 can.

Still thanks for posting. It is good to know.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #14552
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Also, what's stock sprocket sizes for this?? I've looked around but all I can find are recommended combo's for off road grunt, highway revving, etc. Nobody wants to discuss stock apparently. I've got several front sprockets for experimenting but curious about stock as a baseline. Anybody know what stock sprockets for the 93 250se would be? Anybody have any advice for sprocket combos to ride the TAT through AR, OK, NM and Eastern CO then ride back to AR @ ~ 55 mph on asphalt(not interstate)? Thanks!
DR350 came with a 15 in the front and either a 41 or a 43 in the rear. I think that a 14 might have been stock for some years. I run either a 13, 14,or 15, and a 41 or 43. All combinations can be run with the same length chain. There is a huge difference between 13/43 and 15/41. Each step of a sprocket equals about 500 rpms in top gear.

Example at 60mph: 15/41=6kRPM. 14/41=6500rpm. 13/41=7000rpm. 13/43=7500 rpm. Not exactly but close.

For a long ride I would typically carry at least 2 front sprockets. Easy to change out on the trail/camp. Be sure to get new c-clips, they wear out and fall off.

a dr250 I think came with a 49 in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
What is a low miles, running kickstart engine worth?
I would think about $300. Ebay has them about 4-500, and they sell at various rates (based on price and time of year). Depending on where you live $300 could be high or low.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #14553
mazamarider
n00b
 
mazamarider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Mazama, WA
Oddometer: 4
Eek

Sooo... I know this is generally unrelated to the current topic but, I have a 1995 DR350 and I needed to put new lights on it. Every light except my headlight. I went about doing this and I ordered all new Tusk LED setup, this is an awesome setup, the only issue is after hooking up all my turn signals they don't work... When I say they don't work I mean they don't blink. All of them turn on at once and stay on no matter what side I select. So the fine details are I haven't hooked up my tail light at all or started the bike and then checked. Should either of these things fix my issue? If not some feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
mazamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #14554
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer
 
TheOtherBart's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DeKalb County, Illinois
Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazamarider View Post
Sooo... I know this is generally unrelated to the current topic but, I have a 1995 DR350 and I needed to put new lights on it. Every light except my headlight. I went about doing this and I ordered all new Tusk LED setup, this is an awesome setup, the only issue is after hooking up all my turn signals they don't work... When I say they don't work I mean they don't blink. All of them turn on at once and stay on no matter what side I select. So the fine details are I haven't hooked up my tail light at all or started the bike and then checked. Should either of these things fix my issue? If not some feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
You'll need an electronic flasher unit. The way normal flashers work is that the current through the circuit heats up a bimetallic strip that bends, breaking contact, cooling off, recontacting, and so on. LEDs don't draw enough current to allow that mechanism to work. You should be able to get an electronic flasher at any auto parts store.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #14555
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazamarider View Post
Sooo... I know this is generally unrelated to the current topic but, I have a 1995 DR350 and I needed to put new lights on it. Every light except my headlight. I went about doing this and I ordered all new Tusk LED setup, this is an awesome setup, the only issue is after hooking up all my turn signals they don't work... When I say they don't work I mean they don't blink. All of them turn on at once and stay on no matter what side I select. So the fine details are I haven't hooked up my tail light at all or started the bike and then checked. Should either of these things fix my issue? If not some feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
You'll need an electronic flasher unit. The way normal flashers work is that the current through the circuit heats up a bimetallic strip that bends, breaking contact, cooling off, recontacting, and so on. LEDs don't draw enough current to allow that mechanism to work. You should be able to get an electronic flasher at any auto parts store.
This or jsut run regular bulbs in the turn signals. I am planning on doing a bunch of LED swaps to free up power to run heated grips and extra lights out front. But because of this am planning on leaving the turn signals alone. They flash so intermitenly and infrequently that there really is no power savings.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #14556
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike
 
Wadester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: 'Cruces
Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazamarider View Post
Sooo... after hooking up all my turn signals they don't work... When I say they don't work I mean they don't blink. All of them turn on at once and stay on no matter what side I select.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
You'll need an electronic flasher unit. The way normal flashers work is that the current through the circuit heats up a bimetallic strip that bends, breaking contact, cooling off, recontacting, and so on. LEDs don't draw enough current to allow that mechanism to work. You should be able to get an electronic flasher at any auto parts store.
LED specific flasher unit, yes, absolutely: "Electronic LED Flashers have no minimum load-12VDC. Eliminates the need for load resistors, turn signals will flash at normal rate with or without LED bulbs. " http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...c-flasher/783/

But also: the normal wiring for M/C operates the indicator light by grounding thru to the opposite side. The indicator bulb is hooked to power on both sides! When you turn on the left, it is actually grounding thru the right side - but the bulbs don't get enough power to light up. When you go LED - there is enough power! The simple fix is to pull the indicator bulb. This will let you select one side or the other - but you will not get an indication on the dash. If you need the indicator, you will need to cut the two wires leading to the indicator, and
attach a diode to each input wire - tie the 2 diode outputs together and to one indicator wire - then tie the other indicator wire to a ground - so each side will power the indicator to ground, but will not power the other side.

I note that I have just pulled the indicator bulb and put in the flasher. Works fine, but occasionally I find myself "going around the world to the left".
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and / I took the one less traveled by, and / now where the hell am I?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #14557
mazamarider
n00b
 
mazamarider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Mazama, WA
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
LED specific flasher unit, yes, absolutely: "Electronic LED Flashers have no minimum load-12VDC. Eliminates the need for load resistors, turn signals will flash at normal rate with or without LED bulbs. " http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...c-flasher/783/

But also: the normal wiring for M/C operates the indicator light by grounding thru to the opposite side. The indicator bulb is hooked to power on both sides! When you turn on the left, it is actually grounding thru the right side - but the bulbs don't get enough power to light up. When you go LED - there is enough power! The simple fix is to pull the indicator bulb. This will let you select one side or the other - but you will not get an indication on the dash. If you need the indicator, you will need to cut the two wires leading to the indicator, and
attach a diode to each input wire - tie the 2 diode outputs together and to one indicator wire - then tie the other indicator wire to a ground - so each side will power the indicator to ground, but will not power the other side.

I note that I have just pulled the indicator bulb and put in the flasher. Works fine, but occasionally I find myself "going around the world to the left".
Just one more question. Is there a socket that i can connect that particular flasher to?
mazamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #14558
duncanbojangles
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lafayette, LA
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
off topic question, how did you get your tank painted black without bubbling. I have a plastic tank painted blue, and it bubbles in certain areas. Nothing I can do about it that I know of.
It's not the stock tank, that's an oversized plastic Clarke tank. I ordered a black one because in the future I'll be painting the bike, and a black tank seemed easiest to work into a proper color scheme.
duncanbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #14559
duncanbojangles
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lafayette, LA
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
So what is the point of this?? Not trying to be an ass. Is it lighter? Can you run the side panel.
I am looking for a almost bolt on, OEM exhaust from a redialy availble bike, that is lighter, gets me more power (need to rejet), and is jsut as quite as the stock DR350 can.

Still thanks for posting. It is good to know.
There's not much of a point, really. I just couldn't ignore the desire to fiddle with the bike any longer. I replaced my stock DR650 muffler with one from a GSXR1000 and the gains were very, very worthwhile. It was not much louder than stock but really allowed the bike to be snapped open quickly and seemed to give more power throughout the RPM range. I was hoping for a similar experience with the CRF250X muffler.

I can run the side panel with this new muffler, I just need to trim up my mounting plate a bit. The CRF250X muffler has the little heat resistant bumpers to keep your side panel off the hot pipe. The pipe is damn near bolt on (as far as these things go), is definitely lighter, and does seem to allow more power at the way bottom of the RPM range (the bike doesn't seem to chug at low RPMs anymore), with more power at the very top of the RPM range (like, 8k and up), but it is quite a bit louder than stock. Not ridiculously loud, but noticeable by all who are driving near you. The noise is a bit excessive if you're riding trails, the stock pipe had the upper hand in this regard because it was very stealthy. I still can't say for sure if there's more power overall, but since putting on the pipe, I've enjoyed my bike much more, and ride it with much more enthusiasm, so the fun factor has gone way up, and that makes it worthwhile to me.
duncanbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #14560
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike
 
Wadester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: 'Cruces
Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazamarider View Post
Just one more question. Is there a socket that i can connect that particular flasher to?
I recall that it plugged into the socket on my '92 DR350S w/o modification. Stock flasher has a hang tab, this one doesn't tho.

Stock flasher:

New LED flasher has three prongs - just gotta plug in the right two and zip tie it to something.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and / I took the one less traveled by, and / now where the hell am I?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #14561
mazamarider
n00b
 
mazamarider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Mazama, WA
Oddometer: 4
Wicked

Thanks a million Wadester. I appreciate the assistance more than you can imagine!
mazamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #14562
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanbojangles View Post
is definitely lighter, and does seem to allow more power at the way bottom of the RPM range (the bike doesn't seem to chug at low RPMs anymore), with more power at the very top of the RPM range (like, 8k and up), but it is quite a bit louder than stock. Not ridiculously loud, but noticeable by all who are driving near you. The noise is a bit excessive if you're riding trails, the stock pipe had the upper hand in this regard because it was very stealthy. I still can't say for sure if there's more power overall, but since putting on the pipe, I've enjoyed my bike much more, and ride it with much more enthusiasm, so the fun factor has gone way up, and that makes it worthwhile to me.
If it is lighter and give you more power down low and up high. Then that definatly seems like a GOOD reason why.

Unlike those LED turn signal guys.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #14563
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Wudscrasher's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,133
I searched this thread. And searched again, but didn't get the answer

On my new-to-me 1994 DR350SER, there is a small light, not connected to anything, to the NW of the main headlight:



What is it, and how could I (should I?) hook it up? Looks like I could boost the headlight output if I can find something more powerful to fit in the slot



(I have the shop manual, and I can't find any reference to it. Could be an aftermarket headlight as well, so...)

TIA

-- Wuds
__________________
"An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."
-- Gilbert K. Chesterton
'00 KXDX 220
'94 DR 350SER

Wudscrasher screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 10:09 PM
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #14564
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 453
Yes, it's an aftermarket headlight. The small light is a running light, usually used on dirt bikes converted to dual sports that don't have a lot of electrical power output at idle.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudscrasher View Post
I searched this thread. And searched again, but didn't get the answer

On my new-to-me 1994 DR350SER, there is a small light, not connected to anything, to the NW of the main headlight:



What is it, and how could I (should I?) hook it up? Looks like I could boost the headlight output if I can find something more powerful to fit in the slot


(I have the shop manual, and I can't find any reference to it. Could be an aftermarket headlight as well, so...)

TIA

-- Wuds
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #14565
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Wudscrasher's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
Yes, it's an aftermarket headlight. The small light is a running light, usually used on dirt bikes converted to dual sports that don't have a lot of electrical power output at idle.
Thanks, tntmo! Now, my DR has battery power...so...what to do with this little guy
__________________
"An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."
-- Gilbert K. Chesterton
'00 KXDX 220
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014