User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Paul_Rochdale OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
The latest information on this is as follows -

The bike is entirely dismantled (or if you are a Merrycan 'disassembled'). I have begun to fabricated some fillets to strengthen the frame, copying them from images and making cardboard templates. A whole afternoon sawing and filing 4mm steel resulted in on pair of fillets. I visited a local blacksmith today and bought some 3mm steel so the remaining fillets will prove easier to make. The same blacksmith put me in touch with another engineering firm with supplies of aluminium sheet. I've bought on eBay an 'Alpos' alloy topbox which will be fine for my needs although it's not the strongest example I've seen. The base is probably 1mm aluminium and has splits from all of the mounting holes so I'll stick a sheet of 2.5mm alloy across the base to strengthen it. The same blacksmith has also put me in touch with an ace welder and powdercoater so a productive afternoon. Pics to follow.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,615
"Now I almost certainly won't be riding off road, it's not a part of motorcycling which really interests me, but I want a strong, tough, reliable and comfortable touring bike. 99% of the time I ride solo...."

not riding off road, then don't waste the time and money reinforcing the frame as it's not needed. Spend the money on gas and a drive shaft rebuild, possible an alternator upgrade, if running heated gear.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 05:48 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
not riding off road, then don't waste the time and money reinforcing the frame as it's not needed. Spend the money on gas and a drive shaft rebuild, possible an alternator upgrade, if running heated gear.
100% correct.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
"Now I almost certainly won't be riding off road, it's not a part of motorcycling which really interests me, but I want a strong, tough, reliable and comfortable touring bike. 99% of the time I ride solo...."

Exactly! Upgrade the charging system, maybe add a Nippondenso starter, as they are much more efficient running and somewhat lighter than the Bosch or Valeo your bike currently has. Definately invest in a good heated jacket, like Gerbings or Warm and Safe. Forget the vests, get one with full sleaves and heated collar, you can thank me later. After owning one, i wouldnt even think about travelling on a bike without one. Wire a Heattroller onto your dash to give you full adjustment. Make sure your heated grips are working. Put some Progressive springs in the forks and update the rear shock... dont cheap out here! Good suspension is crucial to having a good trip, and not breaking stuff on your bike, not to mention your body ;) Most importantly, continue reading this forum and learn from us! Horizons Unlimited is another good place thats a little more geared to travellers like yourself, and also based a little closer to home. You could probably meet up with a couple of people in your area. Most importantly, in the end do it your way!
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #20
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 649

The red areas are the frame mods I've seen. They are pretty standard. The back one is just a section of 1/8 plate, and the point there is it strengthens the connection point of the swingarm, The forward rod or tubing strengthens the connection up top. One each side for both. Make sure the top one is easily removable bolt in place for maintenance.

Jim Day screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 11:41 PM
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #21
hoss18
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Do it dont do it, the decision is yours. I have an R80G/S and I dont ride mine hard enough to tell if the frame mods make a lot of difference but its nice to know that its stronger than anything I can throw at her. The subframe mod I feel is necessary but Im a heavy load all by myself Here is my mod for the subframe.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Back then I went RTW on standard airhead road bikes, two up with camping gear (pre GS days). Quite a lot of the roads out side of Europe and north America were pretty rough, but a set of standard Craven panniers worked fine with only a little bit of remedial welding required in Ecquador. Australia included a lot of dirt roads, some rough.

Spend your money on the toughest suspension you can find and does not mean Ohlins. Plus decent panniers. Modern tents are very lightweight and I still enjoy sleeping under canvas, even if I eat out.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss18 View Post
Do it dont do it, the decision is yours. I have an R80G/S and I dont ride mine hard enough to tell if the frame mods make a lot of difference but its nice to know that its stronger than anything I can throw at her. The subframe mod I feel is necessary but Im a heavy load all by myself Here is my mod for the subframe.

That looks a very nice and sensible mod. Very neat.

Paul, you know you're quite close to Jim Cray who is a bit of a BMW guru. he's in Faversham.

Next time you're in the Little Gem, have a pint for me
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #24
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

The red areas are the frame mods I've seen. They are pretty standard. The back one is just a section of 1/8 plate, and the point there is it strengthens the connection point of the swingarm, The forward rod or tubing strengthens the connection up top. One each side for both. Make sure the top one is easily removable bolt in place for maintenance.

You have got to be kidding.
robtg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #25
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
You have got to be kidding.
I KID YOU NOT!!! ha ha ha

There's a bunch of German guys doing these frame mods, I'll see if I can scrounge up some pics, but it's been a while since I looked at them. The drag for me is I do not speak German so it's always hard to find them online.

.......time passes

So I couldn't find the website I wanted but I did find some pics on a old hard drive of mine, but none with the longer cross brace.

These first few are from one guy who I believe is German, He does incredible frame mods and custom builds. He used to have a website, but I couldn't find it any more.

Here's some pics of one of his:

You can see the plate they put in front of the swingarm to minimize stress and prevent cracking.

Here's some other bikes with that same modification. It's pretty standard I've seen it all over the place.

PersonallyI find that mod kind of ugly but that's the way they do it and it does make sense. So that's the one mod I'll look around some more and see if I can find some pics of the frame cross braces.

Jim Day screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 04:21 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #26
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
Frame Brace

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #27
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post

Nice Bike!!! I've seen that cross brace as well. It makes a lot of sense especially on a road bike where most of the pressure on the frame comes from the drivetrain. Personally if I was going to go with that brace I'd install the little swingarm plate I pictured above but instead of making it pointed I'd make the top wider, square, with a hole for mounting that brace. That way you get the benefits of the plate and a strong mounting point for the cross brace. I've also seen a top cross brace that supports the upper sub-frame mounting area. It would not be necessary on a road bike but I suppose that one does make some sense for off road use since that mounting point is being worked by the more intense demands on the rear suspension.

Jim Day screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 05:37 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post

You mind telling me a bit more about this bike, turbo & injectors??
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #29
Paul_Rochdale OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
That looks a very nice and sensible mod. Very neat.

Paul, you know you're quite close to Jim Cray who is a bit of a BMW guru. he's in Faversham.

Next time you're in the Little Gem, have a pint for me
I would like to but it's been closed for two years with no sign of anyone wanting to buy the place. I know Jim Cray pretty well as eighteen years ago he rebuilt the engine of my R100/7. He is also going to check over my R100GS-PD engine too. I finally decided on making fillets along the lines of HPN and Dogbytes mods. This will strengthen the frame as I wanted but won't go the diagonal brace route as it's not necessary for the sort of riding I've planned. I shall re-use the existing Hagon monoshock - they will rebuild them for about £90 - as it still looks as if there's life left in it. Thanks for all of the tips and, as was said, I shall be doing it my way. I shall be speaking to a local custom bike builders about welding/bronze welding the fillets I've made.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #30
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
You mind telling me a bit more about this bike, turbo & injectors??

Owned and built by South East Queensland BMW repairer Ray Peake. He`s had it for over 25 years and has over 290,000Km on it, very reliable.

It doesn't get used much these days as he also has a much improved what was originally an R80 GS/PD and more recently an R65 mono w/- 1070cc kit and FI .

I think he pretty much built the FI injection himself, along with everything else on the bike; 18 inch front wheel, wider rear wheel, rear disc, etc, etc. The longer you look , the more modifications you see.

He's done a few good specials over the years, as well as bringing sad, (mostly airhead GS`s) back to life with the upgrades they need to be more reliable.

gsd4me screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 02:24 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote