User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #151
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,235
HS#6 Coyote Kill HS

Haley decided to sit this one out and help during the race so that leaves just my report. In the past years I've always helped with our clubs event but the chance to race in front of my mom and dad (My mom had never seen me race and my Dad was a part of the early,uglier years of my racing career.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Tbone) was too good to ignore. This piece of property is unique in that there's no sand or palmettos but lots of clay, elevation changes, and little time to relax.

18 fellow races on the line as the horn blows and with one kick me and my KTM shoot off for an adventure! I'm in 2nd place as I out brake someone on my left heading into the first set of double greens. I'm following the leader (Don Chris#24 ) as we hit mile 3 and he tries to take the quad cut-off..I mean he literally about ripped his visor off as he ran into the tape blocking it off..cr@p..I'm in first now! Ken Hardimen(#2) comes by in the field on a tear then David Wildner(#46) comes by on the gas as we head from the field and back into the woods. If Dave doesn't crash he's fast so I have to let him go and hope for the best. i come through to end the first lap in 3rd.

It's hard when everyone around the track knows you and yells encouragement..pressure! Marcelo Dadone (#15) blows past on the 500 and I'm starting to think it was a mistake to race...I knew it! Frank G.(#325) pulls along side of me as we head into one of the small woods section and I don't fight him. Right now he's faster than me so I need to keep up! I actually pass him back on the brakes coming into the stockade at the end of the fields..woo! I love high speed passes!...then the wheels come off.

I'm cruising through the woods in 3rd gear and I lose the front..big time. I hit the ground bike flips over and unceremoniously lands on top of me. Wait, something is really hot on this bike and it's burning me! I flip the bike off and roll over just as Frank G. rides by asking in a shaken voice "Are you okay?"..I answer yes just because I'm hopeful it's true. Left thumb hurts but other than that I'm okay..let's get moving I think! I really try and recover "on the fly" after a tumble as nothing worse than sitting there. William St Laurent (#240) passes by before I get going so I just try and follow him as I get my bearings back and cruise through the chicane in 8th..sigh. Jack Hatfield yells at me as I pass by "You're going backwards"...no kidding!

I can't quit, I always tell Haley we never quit, so let's see what shakes out. I spend the 3rd lap dicing with William(#240) as we trade places and he gets me on the hard hill as I take the medium route..it was looking pretty "rooty" on the main climb. I roll through still in 8th but now I'm feeling back in the groove. William hesitates as he looks at the scoring display and I see 1hr.25min pop up..we've got plenty of time for a 4th lap. He looks to be deciding what to do as I blast on pass and tell myself this is the time to really push! I come up on Lance Oulman(217) who I mistake for an A rider and follow for a while before getting by. I'm really feeling good as about the 7 mile mark I see Marcelo (#15) up ahead. I have to get to him! Just as we head into the mx section he looks over coming out of a turn and I know he sees me now. Just as we head into the southern section his bike seems to stall on a hill..that's weird? Seems his throttle cable had broken and not how I wanted to pass you my friend! I mange to not blow it in Mike belle's section..4th place! Don't know how I did it but ended up making lemonade out of lemons and salvage a great finish (last lap was my fastest). Thanks to all my friends/family cheering me on..never again though...ha!

Super Senior B
Place Bike Number Rider Name Bike Brand City, State Points Scored Promotion Points Counted Laps Elapsed Time
0 392 Jack Hatfield Trinity, FL 0 0 0 0:00:00
1 2 Ken (John) Hardiman KTM Seminole, FL 50 10 4 1:48:37
2 46 David Wildner KTM New Port Richey, FL 47 5 4 1:50:15
3 325 Frank Gamperl KTM Deerfield Beach, FL 45 4 4 1:50:31
4 117 Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 43 3 4 1:51:52
5 217 Lance Oulman KTM Fruitland Park, FL 41 2 4 1:52:06
6 83 Matthew Covey Honda Lakeland, FL 40 0 4 1:52:10
7 240 William St Laurent Husaberg Longwood, FL 39 0 4 1:52:56
8 24 Don Chriss KTM Orlando, FL 38 0 4 1:53:43
9 42 David McArthur Yamaha Cocoa, FL 37 0 4 1:56:46
10 121 Charles Fuller Kawasaki Plant City, FL 36 0 4 1:58:51
11 60 Lou Tunno KTM Boca Raton, FL 35 0 4 1:58:53
12 8 Levic Allen Honda Valrico, FL 34 0 4 1:59:02
13 15 Marcelo Dadone Honda Aventura, FL 33 0 3 1:23:37
14 41 Marty Sapsford KTM Ormond Beach, FL 32 0 3 1:31:05
15 35 Daniel Holder Honda Apopka, FL 31 0 3 1:31:14
16 520 Sam Jarczynski Honda Safety Harbor, FL 30 0 3 1:32:43
17 4 Kurt Drummond KTM Port Richey, FL 29 0 3 1:33:06
18 31 Frank Swindell KTM Keystone Heights, FL 28 0 3

Glad my eyes were closed..lol!

Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #152
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,919
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #153
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,741
Troy is very modest but let me tell you.... as someone who rides the same course (and gets lapped by Tbone ), he is a fast s.o.b.

He's made his way from C class and now threatening to win in B. I won't be surprised if/when he moves up to A in the near future.

Good going Tbone! You're an inspiration.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #154
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
The course was beyond cool T, after all the work and then to race I'm thinking you had a long weekend. Good showing too. you guys did a great job. Had to skip tomorrow, I still have a chance to point out to B I guess. Bostwick looks rather flat and maze like with pine trees. Gonna ride croom with the wankers.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #155
amazing ricardo
Piste Off

Oddometer: 3,543
Troy.. i just found this thread!!

most excellent my friend!!

amazing ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #156
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
Troy is very modest but let me tell you.... as someone who rides the same course (and gets lapped by Tbone ), he is a fast s.o.b.

He's made his way from C class and now threatening to win in B. I won't be surprised if/when he moves up to A in the near future.

Good going Tbone! You're an inspiration.

Your way too kind John! I'm just a guy trying to avoid hitting the ground and the trees in that order See you and Future ten at the Brighton Okeechobee race.

hey Ricardo!

Tbone screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 06:54 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #157
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

HS#7 Bostwick

HS#7 brings us up to Azalea City and the Cedar Creek HS put on by AC/MC. The property is a mix of planted pines, fast jeep roads, and moist woods. Sat was 6 miles and Sat 9.
Haley felt good after the practice lap but her race lasted about 1/2 mile as she hit a rutted trail faster than she was ready for (trying to not give up a position) and went down. Nothing worse as a parent than looking over, seeing a bike down, and hoping it's not your kid...and it is. Donnie and crew were great as always evaluating ,immobilizing her knee and getting her back to the camper. Went and had some x-rays that showed nothing broken so we returned with a set of crutches and the hope that it's just severely sprained.

Sunday dawned with a bit of fog but the promise of great weather. We had 8 riders on the line with some of the heavy hitters missing (get well Kai!) but addition of my fast buddy Scott Doerr (#66). He usually races evo on Sat. but was coming out to play making a total of 4 guys(Dave W, Jack H, Scott and myself) on the line who fun ride together regularly..should be great!

There was a long run to the first set of double Greens and Jack Hatfield (#392) pulled the hole-shot as we swept through the corner and I came up the inside to get the lead.

I've led before..it won't last as about 3 miles in Marcelo Dadone (#15) makes a better line choice in the pines and squirts on by. At this point I want to try and hold on as Marcelo can boogie so that's what I did. There were 2 mud holes on the course worth mentioning. The first one was small but tight so much thanks to the folks pointing the better lines. Now the 2nd one was in the woods right near the finish and it had the potential to be big..real big. It looked like normal woods, but the minute you step foot in it you sank. First lap through it was holding up okay but you knew that was short lived. I passed through the chicane to finish the first lap in 2nd. Not soon after Scott D. came by with a squeal and the look of a man having fun. I passed back by soon after when I think he went for his camel-back hose. I come up on a slower rider who wasn't in the mood to let me by so I ended up laying the bike down in a failed pass attempt and back by goes Scott with a vocal smack in the head..dang it!

Soon I hear a 2stroke behind me and I know it has to be Dave W.(#46). I leave the door open at the end of a straight on purpose and he swings by. Dave either breaks,wrecks, or hauls @$$ so I'll have to wait and see which it is today. The three amigos are all riding together and what fun! The woodsy mud hole is now getting interesting as I drop the bike and lose site of the top 3. Mud holes can be really tiring I'm learning as I roll through in 4th place to end the 2nd lap.

Thanks Lacey!

As I'm tapped out on the longest jeep rd when I see Dave W. pulled over and messing with his bike..I guess it's a "break" kind of day for Dave (throttle cable) so now I'm back to 3rd. Little while later I'm back behind Scott and we're hauling. I'm trying to decide if he's starting to fade as I yell "Come on old man!!" (He's 47ish) and he waves me by..thanks Scott! Big mud hole has more orange arrows thrown up the to the right side (thanks!) and I'm the first one through. It's the long way around but muuuuch quicker as a family watching the spectacle scatters when I head to the un-rutted ground they are standing on. Welcome to HS racing folks...ha! I end the 3rd lap in 2nd.

4th lap is uneventful as I push but don't know how far ahead Marcelo is. I take the same line in the mud woods and come through to finish in 2nd. Best finish ever! Thanks to my wife Lori, Haley and all the friends I spent the weekend with for the good time!

Super Senior B
Place Bike Number Rider Name Bike Brand City, State Points Scored Promotion Points Counted Laps Elapsed Time
0 24 Don Chriss Orlando, FL 0 0 0 0:00:00
1 15 Marcelo Dadone Honda Aventura, FL 50 10 4 1:51:09
2 117 Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 47 5 4 1:51:40
3 8 Levic Allen Honda Valrico, FL 45 4 4 1:57:07
4 35 Daniel Holder Honda Apopka, FL 43 3 4 1:57:31
5 66 Scott Doerr KTM Brooksville, FL 41 2 3 1:24:35
6 392 Jack Hatfield KTM Trinity, FL 40 0 3 1:28:32
7 42 David McArthur Yamaha Cocoa, FL 39 0 3 1:28:48
8 46 David Wildner KTM New Port Richey, FL 19 0 2 0:54:34
DNF 41 Marty Sapsford KTM Ormond Beach, FL 0 0 0 0:00:00
Super Senior-B #117B
Suncoast Trailblazer's
H&R powersports

Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #158
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,919
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #159
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Nice ride, Troy! Only 30 seconds out of first place, and the next closest to you was over 5 minutes behind. That's some good riding.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #160
JPDenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Great thread!! My son is 11 & just getting started! Really enjoyed all you wrote.
JPDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #161
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Thanks guys for the kind words! Haley's knee is much better so we will be at the race next weekend down near Lake Okeechobee on the Seminole Indian reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDenny View Post
Great thread!! My son is 11 & just getting started! Really enjoyed all you wrote.
These truly will be some of the best memories. Just remind him it's all about having fun, sportsmanship, and the friendships you build with your racing buddies. Give us an update once in a while...with pics!

Tbone screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 06:59 AM
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #162
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Thumb

Hey T, I'll be down there again. Good lord that's a long ride huh. I like catching up with ya in here, great site.
I think I'm in top three or four in points and will for sure point out soon. I get to chase you guys next year. See ya Sunday.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #163
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post
Hey T, I'll be down there again. Good lord that's a long ride huh. I like catching up with ya in here, great site.
I think I'm in top three or four in points and will for sure point out soon. I get to chase you guys next year. See ya Sunday.
Congrats on the win fast guy!!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #164
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

HS#9 Brighton HS

This week report comes from Brighton,Fl on the Seminole Indian Reservation. The hosting club is Treasure Coast Trail Riders with the Sat course being 7 miles and Sunday 12. Great club who designs a great course.

Haley was optimistic concerning her knee being healed as running at the gym hadn't been causing any issues (3 weeks since severely spraining it). The reality was you put on a heavy boot and hang it off the pegs with the dirt grabbing it and maybe it needs a little more time. She did one lap and pulled off upset but I told her you just can't rush these things. We're grateful she didn't need surgery but it will still take a while yet to be 100%. Maybe the fun run at the next race will be a good test.

SSB is a great class. We've had 6 different winners over 8 races so on any given Sunday anyone can win. This is a story about when I had the chance to make it my turn!
10 of us on the line plus some fast young ladies on the Womens A line that starts along with us. Old faithful starts in one kick as I shoot and look over to my left to see Don Chris(#24) rocketing out to lead through the big first sweeper. Casey Campbell (Womens A #328) shoots by me like I'm in the wrong gear and roosts me with her 450 and I start to think "maybe I should have put more than one tear-off on!". I duck my head through the next few corners as being anywhere near her is like getting pegged with a shotgun. Don leads us both into the woods.

Casey soon gets by Don so I'm on him. I hear what sounds like a set of "Killer B's" behind and am soon beset upon by Brinsley Dyess (#95) and Becca Sheets (#551) who are on the gas and chasing down Don. I can hear them wringing their throttles behind him and soon round the corner to see he has just slowed to let these 2 pass on either side of him and resume their own adrenaline filled battle..kids..ha! I can keep Don in sight for most of the lap but only because I'm getting drug along. I can't run his pace for a whole race so have to slow down and Dave Wildner(#46) gets by around some slower riders. I'm okay with that as he's fast but usually drama isn't far behind (love ya Dave!) as I end the first lap in 3rd.

100 yds into the 2nd lap and things get interesting. There is a canal running the length of the front end of the property. We were suppose to ride over a earthen bridge then hang a left to out to the rest of the course. Dave and I come up to a bike/rider laying at the beginning of the bridge and a course worker motioning to slow down. Just as we pass over the water I look to left to see a rider and his bike in the canal! It was up to his goggles and I could just make out the number plate through the murky water....#24...the leader!

Well it looks like I'm now in 2nd (Don later said he was just trying to catch another slower rider and lost control) so I set-off on lap 2 trying to keep up with Dave. 2 miles in dave starts to slow and i pass by wondering what's wrong (I asked and he said he was okay). Seems he had pushed his luck with a disintegrating rear wheel and it was now no longer wanting to stay round (broken/bad spokes) so now I had the lead@!

I've been in this position before but never on the 2nd lap..ha! I came up upon my good friend and Senior B competitor Ryan Turner(#34B) He's getting used to a new bike and I needed him to pull me through the tight stuff(he's faster) and I'd lead in the fast stuff(I'm faster). We did this dance the whole 2nd lap because at one point I hollered 'I'm in first!" hoping he's go a little faster and realize what I was doing by staying behind...he got it. I'm in first to end the 2nd lap.

The 3rd lap starts the same at about 2 miles in we did a big "U" shaped run through this field. Ryan looks over as we're coming back towards the woods and points across the field. I look but can't see any white plates (my class) but I assume he's letting me know someones coming. I decide I still like our pace so I just stay behind him for the next mile. Another big looping curve he looks back and really motions as I now see Frank Gamperl (#325) is coming hard. Frank is fast, Frank won the last race, Frank wants to win this race too so with a thumbs up I ease past Ryan (my booster rocket..thanks again bud!) and tell my self I have to push..now! I realize this isn't the time to play it safe..I have to leave it all on this 3rd lap. I rode my fastest lap of the day and tried not to listen behind me. I didn't look back once or look at any part of the track as somewhere I could relax. Eventually I recognize we're coming up on the big field at the end..don't look back..concentrate. The bike is pinned in 5th as the scoring chicane comes into sight and I start to realize what seemed like an impossibility at the start of the year was now a reality...first place!! I let out a big 'Whooooooooo" as I crossed through the scoring chicane basking in a feeling that only one thing in life can duplicate..winning.

5th gear tapped out coming in for the win! Notice the shock wave behind me...ha.

Super Senior B
1 117 Troy Stainbrook
KTM
Odessa, FL 50 10 3 1:45:52
2 325 Frank Gamperl
KTM
Deerfield Beach, FL 47 5 3 1:46:25
3 15 Marcelo Dadone
HON
Aventura, FL 45 4 3 1:48:42
4 8 Levic Allen
HON
Valrico, FL 43 3 3 1:49:03