Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #151
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
well thats cool...all I was saying is that the original thread shows a comstar like rim that uses no tube...they are easier to install

also most tires sold these days are tubeless, doesnt mean people dont use tubes in them, typical tires like these are most offroad dot tires....

id like to see somebody use this method out on the trails

just sayin

To be fair you still need to carry a pair of irons for removing the tire. the frst tire I installed using zip ties was a dot knobby with really stiff side walls, the kind that will not show a flat untill you sit on the bike. It was very easy to install with zip ties. The second tire I installed with zip ties was a street tire and for sme reason it was much harder.

I think if you are running a tire where you have to really wrestle the irons to get the tire back on, using zip ties on the trail would be a smart idea, Purely from a safety stand point when you get back on the bike your hands and fore arms will be at 100%. I know Ive installed more than one tire that wasted my hands.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #152
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
Im just mad I cant get $1 zip straps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

hijack over dudes
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #153
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
woo hoo! 1 tire fixed!

ok, ok, it was the 3rd try... only poked a hole in it the first time tho. 'finally' figured it out, and used lots of soapy water to get things to get back in to place! my hands is tyred! (pun intended)

Well, tire irons helped a lot, soapy water, a little air in the tube. I actually tried the other method as well, by wrapping it in parachute cord but couldn't get the tube to stay inside the tire. Soooo, after 2 original dismounts (removing good tire from XL wheel and bad tire from XR wheel) finding the wrong tubes, ordering new tube, a mount punching 1 hole in the new tube, and then another dismount to fix the hole, ordering a rim strip and tire irons, a partial mount -getting scared and deciding to try the parachute cord completely dismounting said tire - then FINALLY a complete mount w/o holes!

So, what, about 2 weeks and 2 hours monkeyshining around with the tire? but I think I could do it in maybe 1/2 an hour if Had to do it again - which I will as the front one seems to be losing air too...
LandsVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #154
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Starting to come together - note the wiring, LOL

Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #155
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

a few more questions

First, seems as if my front forks are adjusted down about 1 inch. I'm assuming they should be level with the top tree clamp, right where the bevel is on the fork? Mine aren't.

Second, I'd still like to get an upper triple tree clamp from an XR650L. Cash is short right now. I have a few items to pick from: an XL600 muffler, dual carbs, a slightly warped (the XL bike leaned against a wall for a year) front fender, and a few other odds and ends I'd trade. Basically a crate of parts that didn't get sold with the frame, tank, seat etc. Maybe even an 30gig ipod video? Something cheaply mail-able would be the best.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857526

there's my parts for sale thread, btw

lessee, My goal is to get the bike to the DMV this Friday, as I have the day off. My family and I are settled in to the new house, still struggling to get a handle on bills etc. so the motorcycle is not a top priority in the fiduciary planning. It's nice having my own garage, well lighted, dry, etc. tho. I go out and stare at the bike at least 2 times a day... :p

LandsVW screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 11:19 AM Reason: add parts for sale thread link
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #156
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,062
There is a line about 1/4" from the top of the fork tube. This is what you line up with the top of the triple clamp.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #157
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
There is a line about 1/4" from the top of the fork tube. This is what you line up with the top of the triple clamp.
Ok, it may be right then. I'll check when I get home.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #158
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

triple clamp and wiring

Well, one of the ADV guys has a triple clamp on its way to me for a decent price. I went out and fairly painlessly wired the XR using the loom from the XL. Also put the brake master cylinder on because it has the brakelight switch. The ends of the hoses are different - XR has a banjo bolt, XL has a hose that screws in to the cylinder. However, threads are the same, both have sealing washers, so the swap was uneventful.

Front and back tire seem to be holding air! That's a bonus!

I'm going to clean up the tank while it's off as well. Maybe tomorrow between work and basketball games (I coach), or maybe Saturday between waking up and basketball games...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #159
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

banjo bolts, tubes, and o-rings

well,
I absolutely love reading ADV forums.

this one:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=851293&page=8

brought to me the picture of the o-ring and tube between case and oil pump. I couldn't remember if my bike had had that part! quoting myself on the other thread:

"this thread just saved my butt, I'm thinking. I had reassembled my XR600 after buying it as a basket case, and got to thinking: did I see that little oil pump o-ring and metal tube? I remembered the o-ring, but not the tube. I haven't run the bike for more than 10 minutes, because of a few other issues, so today I pulled the side cover off. Sure enough! NO tube! PO must have lost it upon disassembly, and since I bought it literally in a basket (ok, milk crate and cardboard boxes) AND that tube isn't magnetic so it didn't stick to the magnet tray he'd given me with all the bolts, I was clueless as to its existence. Whew... I pulled one out of my parts bike engine and installed... Thank you! good pictures and detailed information."

yep. thanks ADV. "I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motorsickle" -Arlo Guthrie
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #160
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

another question about batteries fort the XL/XR600 frankenbike

I've got the XL wiring all hooked up. for obvious reasons can't use the original battery. So, does the system need to have a battery to avoid damaging the electrical components such as the voltage regulator? I still will come up with something like RC batteries if necessary but just wondered if any battery was even necessary?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #161
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question triple tree installed. Questions about mounting headlight

I've received the Triple clamp from fellow ADV reader (thank you!). I've got it installed with the key. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the speedometer though. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? I'm building little metal brackets, but they seem like they'd allow the bottom of the headlight housing to bounce up and fall off the pins in the fender bracket?

I wonder if anyone has a picture of a successful mounting system? Remember, it's now 1985 XL600 headlight/key/speedometer mounting into a XR650L triple clamp.

thanks!

L
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #162
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,062
The heck with brackets. Just install one of these:

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #163
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
The heck with brackets. Just install one of these:

Ha, I wish! maybe next winter? I'll keep designing... :) fiduciary restraints confine me to 'making do'...
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #164
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

wiring and headlight installation

I was able to completely wire the bike today, used the stator from the XL, and have spark! Still wondering if I can run the bike w/o damaging any of the electronics if there is no battery? At least for a test? Should I unhook the regulator/rectifier?

Also, As I understand it, there are 3 circuits on the stator: 1-AC for ignition. 2-AC for headlight, 3-AC for other power that is then converted into DC to charge battery and run the other lights? is this correct?

Does anyone know what the other flat blade connector is that is right next to the turn signal relay? My relay has only 2 blades. The third wire is green so I suspect ground?

I have my headlight/speedometer installed. Zip ties are mans best friend :) however, another ADV inmate will be helping me get some factory brackets in a few months hopefully, so I can complete the install.

Tomorrow I'd like to start and go riding! that's my tentative plan...
Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #165
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

rode to gas station! 2 miles logged

Every journey begins with kick starting an XR/XL600. got her running, drove on fumes to the gas station, filled up with premium 92, went on an easy 2 mile ride! Another day I'll get her warm and change the oil and filter, ready for the spring. Still need a rechargeable battery, so that is my next mission.