User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Mile Maker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Route over the rocks?

Hello. I am planning a "as much gravel as possible" route from southern Alberta, to Kootenay lake.
My original plan was to get off of the black top around Pincher Creek, Head over the continental divide at Middle Kootenay Pass, and take some BC Forest service roads to Cranbook. Then Black top to just past Kimberly, and hit the Grey Creek Pass.

This route looked great on paper, But i have found out that Middle Pass is now closed seasonally, due to some wildlife management BS.

So i was wondering if anyone knows a good route for us to take. We will be riding heavily loaded KLR, a Dakar, And a Vstrom. I have camped and Quaded in the area North of the #3 all of my life. So i am familiar with the type of terrain that goes with that area. So far the most Viable route i can think of is the North Fork Pass.

Is Elk Pass open to motorized vehicles? We want to keep to the southern part of the province if possible. and want to avoid the very deep shale that can be in the high country. These are heavy bikes, and we know it.
Mile Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,717
Try this: http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php...at-bc1&catid=1
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Mile Maker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I've seen that trans Canada trail. They haven't published the prairie section yet, the write up on their "mountain section" starts at Radium Hot Springs. That's far into BC already.
I've downloaded the GPS files and they cross the continental divide on the #3 hi way. They do show an optional route that is south of the 3. I have to bring out the maps to see where that optional route is.
Unfortunately i had to head back to work before I could do that. It kind of looks like it heads over the north kootanee.
That pass has very deep shale and steep decent into bc.
A little too much for us.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Mile Maker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ptolomy Pass

I finally got some time to research the Trans Canada Trail GPS way-points, It looks like the optional route, just south of the Crowsnest, is the Ptolemy pass. A quick Google search found a couple of pictures of a land rover on the summit of the pass. Im thinking it is a viable route for us.
I will check it out, with my quad, this coming June, when i have some time off of work. I am also planning on going up Racehorse as well. It has been at least 15 or more years since i have been in that area. It will give me a new destination to look forward too, rather than the same old "favorite spot".

BTW i'm surprised in the lack of responses about this topic.