Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #241
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodevc View Post
I just received my new aftermarket exhaust I ordered on Ebay.
Took me 20 min to install..

Here a video if someone is wondering about the difference in sound..

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJM_FhlzT-8&feature=plcp
Sounds good.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #242
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
OEM catalytic converter gutted

I remember reading a thread on gutting out the catalytic converter with a few pictures....can someone please direct me to that thread? I have begun gutting mine out and wanted to know if there has been any issues with a different air/fuel ration.

Thanks in advance
toro618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #243
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
I remember reading a thread on gutting out the catalytic converter with a few pictures....can someone please direct me to that thread? I have begun gutting mine out and wanted to know if there has been any issues with a different air/fuel ration.

Thanks in advance
Fellow rider runnin4melife Southwest from you in Maryland, did it, shout him a pm, and I am sure he will answer. The limited zfe will adjust to the cat removal just fine.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #244
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
No issues with it so far, I just fitted a LV EVO exhaust and it seems to have dialed in just fine with that. The biggest issue is whether you are a good enough welder to get it back together. I am not, but I had a good friend do it with his TIG setup. I would definitely take your time and do it right. I sliced down the middle and removed everything in aggressively gentle fashion then polished the heck out of the section with a dremel. I wish I would have had the forethought to measure temps and fuel consumption but I didn't. I will say that my anecdotal perception is that it runs cooler (exhaust), I noticed some change in the dynamics of the acceleration but not magic power gain. It does tend to back fire more (that is rare though).
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #245
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
No issues with it so far, I just fitted a LV EVO exhaust and it seems to have dialed in just fine with that. The biggest issue is whether you are a good enough welder to get it back together. I am not, but I had a good friend do it with his TIG setup. I would definitely take your time and do it right. I sliced down the middle and removed everything in aggressively gentle fashion then polished the heck out of the section with a dremel. I wish I would have had the forethought to measure temps and fuel consumption but I didn't. I will say that my anecdotal perception is that it runs cooler (exhaust), I noticed some change in the dynamics of the acceleration but not magic power gain. It does tend to back fire more (that is rare though).

Thanks for the info. I basically just sawed the one end of the cat and rewelded it closed. Took about one hour inlcuding the weld. Haven't had a chance to mount it but soon.

Drilling through the crap to break it off.
toro618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #246
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I gutted mine a few years ago before I installed the Remus headers.... last night I installed the Arrow headers so I am anxous to compare all 4 set ups. I found that just gutting the cat did not cause any real fueling issues with the factory muffler. The sweet set up seemed to be the Full Remus exhaust with the PC V. I am switching to the Arrow to get a little more low end back and get my ground clearance back up (you loose 1.5 inches with the Remus headers)

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #247
Dubman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpilot View Post
I gutted mine a few years ago before I installed the Remus headers.... last night I installed the Arrow headers so I am anxous to compare all 4 set ups. I found that just gutting the cat did not cause any real fueling issues with the factory muffler. The sweet set up seemed to be the Full Remus exhaust with the PC V. I am switching to the Arrow to get a little more low end back and get my ground clearance back up (you loose 1.5 inches with the Remus headers)

Just wanted to know which headers fit with the BMW Ali bash plate.
And how you got on with the arrow headers.
Dubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #248
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,968
I haven't seen anyone mention the need for a spark arrestor, maybe is a California thing. What silencers have spark arrestor in them? It seems that none of the exhaust sites mention SA's.
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #249
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention the need for a spark arrestor, maybe is a California thing. What silencers have spark arrestor in them? It seems that none of the exhaust sites mention SA's.
Actually...... every time you ride in a national forest (US) you need to have a sparky. You can get a ticket without one.....or start a fire......or perhaps both.

Erling
Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #250
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Actually...... every time you ride in a national forest (US) you need to have a sparky. You can get a ticket without one.....or start a fire......or perhaps both.
That is my point. I haven't seen anyone post about silencers with spark arrestors (maybe they don't ride off road)...does anyone make an exhaust for the 800 with a spark arrestor?
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #251
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That is my point. I haven't seen anyone post about silencers with spark arrestors (maybe they don't ride off road)...does anyone make an exhaust for the 800 with a spark arrestor?
... ahhh... I got it. I have seen them on a few yosh that I have had, and on a MRD Racing, but neither my LV first or second had them. It is a valid point, as in many places they do use the broomstick. Personally I have never been stopped in CO, or NM.

Erling
Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #252
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
Quote:

I have one. It is in the front of the Leo Vince exhaust can. They can poke a stick at it, or see it with a flashlight. I hope that is good enough, because if they want to see the USFS stamp on it, they will have to take the muffler off themselves and I am not supplying the Torx wrench.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #253
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I have one. It is in the front of the Leo Vince exhaust can. They can poke a stick at it, or see it with a flashlight. I hope that is good enough, because if they want to see the USFS stamp on it, they will have to take the muffler off themselves and I am not supplying the Torx wrench.
Waaaaaaaat..... The LV can has a sparky....??? I was aware of the db restrictor ( not the potato in the rear) but the plate that inserts right before the pipe. You have a mesh screen in there. How did you get that...???

Erling
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #254
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
It is one of those conical looking generic $20 screens. I think it is a Pro Cycle and I bought it at Motorcycle super store.

I trimmed around the edges of the flange a little, stuck it in the front. It is held in place by the mid pipe.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #255
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It is one of those conical looking generic $20 screens. I think it is a Pro Cycle and I bought it at Motorcycle super store.

I trimmed around the edges of the flange a little, stuck it in the front. It is held in place by the mid pipe.
I see..... That is great.

Erling