Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Question Overpants Recommendation

My requirements:
  1. Waterproof or very water resistant
  2. Windproof
  3. Wear over jeans/dockers
  4. Possible to wear alone or over thermal underwear
  5. Not sure about armor, but if it is included, it has to be adjustable and removeable

I ride a cruiser and live in Dallas, so it doesn't get very cold here, but it isn't unusual for winter temperatures to hover in the 30-40 range.

Yesterday, I tried on Olympia AirGlide 3 pants. They aren't for me. First, even with the liner removed, they seemed awfully heavy. Secondly, and more importantly, to work as an overpant you have to remove the liner, and without the liner they aren't waterproof or windproof. I looked at the Olympia Ranger too. Again, they seemed awfully heavy and as the sales clerk said, "You'll roast in those things around here."

I'd be content with an overpant that doesn't have a thermal liner, but is wind and water resistant, provides abrasion protection, and perhaps has armor. Suggestions? One more thought - what about kevlar jeans with a gore-tex rain paint (something like Frogg Toggs), and just forget the armor?
scooterintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Aerostich Dariens or AD1. They are unlined and water/windproof. They also have a full length zipper meaning you can take them on and off very quickly and stow them.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Overpants

I love my AD! pants from Aerostich. They are light weight, flexible, removeable pads, windproof, waterproff. They make/sell very good riding gear. Check out the link below. There are other models as well. They can be a bit pricey, but hey - its your skin. Mine is worth it.
http://www.aerostich.com/ad1-light-pants.html

Other versions with a bit more padding and protection - on sale
http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsear...rder=relevance
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
My requirements:
  1. Waterproof or very water resistant
  2. Windproof
  3. Wear over jeans/dockers
  4. Possible to wear alone or over thermal underwear
  5. Not sure about armor, but if it is included, it has to be adjustable and removeable

I ride a cruiser and live in Dallas, so it doesn't get very cold here, but it isn't unusual for winter temperatures to hover in the 30-40 range.

Yesterday, I tried on Olympia AirGlide 3 pants. They aren't for me. First, even with the liner removed, they seemed awfully heavy. Secondly, and more importantly, to work as an overpant you have to remove the liner, and without the liner they aren't waterproof or windproof. I looked at the Olympia Ranger too. Again, they seemed awfully heavy and as the sales clerk said, "You'll roast in those things around here."

I'd be content with an overpant that doesn't have a thermal liner, but is wind and water resistant, provides abrasion protection, and perhaps has armor. Suggestions? One more thought - what about kevlar jeans with a gore-tex rain paint (something like Frogg Toggs), and just forget the armor?
Klim Traverse pants work for me.

Waterproof - check.

Windproof - check.

I wear mine over khakis every day riding to work.

The interior is easily soft enough to wear directly over thermals. I could probably wear mine directly over shorts and not feel uncomfortable.

They don't come with armor, but there are knee pockets for armor if you want to add them, and it seems fairly adjuster.

I do not think there are hip pockets for armor, however. If there are, I certainly can't find them.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
FirstGear HT2 overpants.
I've had mine for years now and they never leak. I've not worn them without pants but I'm sure I could.

Water/windproof without the liner - i can wear from over 100* to below 40* although when it hits 30* I wish i would have remembered the liner.

The fit right on a cruiser and on my GSA.

Oh and they aren't expensive.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Aerostich Dariens or AD1. They are unlined and water/windproof. They also have a full length zipper meaning you can take them on and off very quickly and stow them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
I love my AD! pants from Aerostich. They are light weight, flexible, removeable pads, windproof, waterproff. They make/sell very good riding gear. Check out the link below. There are other models as well. They can be a bit pricey, but hey - its your skin. Mine is worth it.

So with your AD1s, did you order up one size (I.e. if size 36, order 38s)? Or are they designed oversized? Thanks.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I wear a size 36 pant normally and have the size 38 in the Dariens. I do have the optional (and bulky) hip armor. I originally purchased a size 36 and with the armor, it was just too tight. My Dariens go over dress slacks and a belt for my regular commute.

I know it is a pain to send things like this back, but if you have to, don't stress it. Stich is good about making sure you get what you need. If you're not going to use the hip armor, try the 36 and return it if needed.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
scooterintexas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I wear a size 36 pant normally and have the size 38 in the Dariens. I do have the optional (and bulky) hip armor. I originally purchased a size 36 and with the armor, it was just too tight. My Dariens go over dress slacks and a belt for my regular commute.

I know it is a pain to send things like this back, but if you have to, don't stress it. Stich is good about making sure you get what you need. If you're not going to use the hip armor, try the 36 and return it if needed.
Do you always wear them as an overpant, or do you ever wear them over shorts or your underwear?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
scooterintexas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
FirstGear HT2 overpants.
I've had mine for years now and they never leak. I've not worn them without pants but I'm sure I could.

Water/windproof without the liner - i can wear from over 100* to below 40* although when it hits 30* I wish i would have remembered the liner.

The fit right on a cruiser and on my GSA.

Oh and they aren't expensive.
I tried them on yesterday, but they apparently didn't have my size. They felt snug when I had my jeans on and the liner out, better when I just wore the outerpant and my boxers, but there was no way I could have put them over my jeans with the liner in. Do you ever wear them like that?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,494
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
Do you always wear them as an overpant, or do you ever wear them over shorts or your underwear?
And do you break left or right?

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
InDenial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I have the Aerostitch Dairen Lights. More confortable than the Dariens. Wear them over jeans in MN down to 20 degrees. Waterproof, windproof and they will customized them for you. We had to lengthen the legs about 2". Call them and they will help size you. They are very customer friendly.
InDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Klim Traverse pants work for me.

Waterproof - check.

Windproof - check.

I wear mine over khakis every day riding to work.

The interior is easily soft enough to wear directly over thermals. I could probably wear mine directly over shorts and not feel uncomfortable.

They don't come with armor, but there are knee pockets for armor if you want to add them, and it seems fairly adjuster.

I do not think there are hip pockets for armor, however. If there are, I certainly can't find them.
They do have hip armor pockets and they're quite visible. Maybe you have an older model?
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,089
lucky day

I have a set of H 2 Firstgear over pants size 36-40 w X 30 inseam with soft hip & knee armor & removable thermal liner also have
full leg zippers for easy on & off

they are h20 & wind proof & with the liner out they are good to about 85 to 90* F here in AZ also include a set of Duluth suspender if needed

no rips or tears worn 3 times, in perfect condition yours for $100.00 Plus shipping

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
redwing51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post

I agree that the AD1 pants are everything you need. I wear them as overpants, but usually just with long or regular underwear. Never got wet in them. I bought the optional hip pads as well. They work for me.
redwing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Wink

I am working right now with Aerostich on a roadcrafter suit..Gawd I hated to spend the money, but like the OP..nothing else seemed to fit and they do a custom job... The last revision went out to me today.. I amsure that I will have to have the pants shortened however.. and a smidge opened up in the chest areea.. Aerostich is not like any other Mfg. I have worked with.,,they just keep making adjustments for me until it's right.. They are paid for now.. so I can lose the guilts.
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote