Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #73381
Northyork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk99 View Post
PM sent about AMP oil guard

I have sent you a reply. The original link stopped working (I posted in the wrong place and moderator deleted it) Here is the new link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...86&postcount=1
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #73382
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
I'm using the stock IMS gas cap with a shorty vent tube and check valve. It is pushed forward by the tank bag, but there is enough room there so it doesn't pinch and fits just fine. It's also very easy to refuel with the Fandango, just unzip the bag from the base about 3/4 of the way and flop it over, the bag just hangs off the zipper.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #73383
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork View Post
I have sent you a reply. The original link stopped working (I posted in the wrong place and moderator deleted it) Here is the new link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...86&postcount=1
I'm interested in the AMP cover.
the link above does not show prices.

Cheers, very nice stuff.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #73384
Minsk99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
I'm using the stock IMS gas cap with a shorty vent tube and check valve. It is pushed forward by the tank bag, but there is enough room there so it doesn't pinch and fits just fine. It's also very easy to refuel with the Fandango, just unzip the bag from the base about 3/4 of the way and flop it over, the bag just hangs off the zipper.

Tim
Cool. I am putting on an Acerbis tank this weekend and plan on running it with my GL Diablo bag. I have one of those shorty tubes as well and was wondering if it would work. Hopefully the Acerbis will have a similar fit.
Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #73385
Northyork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'm interested in the AMP cover.
the link above does not show prices.

Cheers, very nice stuff.
I have edited the post. It shows prices now. Check you private messages
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #73386
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
The lowering for the rear is all in which hole you put the bolt through... that shouldn't have changed with the rebuild.

When your forks were done, did the guy put the spacer on top (stock ride height) or under the damper rod (lowered)?

Rob
The lowering of the rear also includes "flipping" the spring seat. Using an aftermarket spring may require using an aftermarket spring seat, which mine did. The aftermarket part does not offer the ability to "flip" it, so it won't lower the rear as much as you can with the stock spring and spring seat. The forks were lowered by putting the spacer under.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #73387
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Bit the bullet today and bought my 790 kit!! Going to change out the clutch while I'm in there and check the NSU. I will post a thread\tutorial on here for anybody that is thinking about doing it.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #73388
BenYork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Troubleshooting help?

Hello,

I'm hoping someone has time to help me with my bike here. First some history.

Bought 2006 DR 650 about 5 months ago. Day I bought it, riding fast on highway, stumbly and backfired. Running rough, sort of throatier than normal. Ran like shit. Went home, took carb apart twice, drained tank, rinsed with alcohol, new gas. After second carb cleaning worked again. If I remember right I worked on the main jet only, and it seemed to be clogging with water. It idled fine, but would stumble and stall with throttle.

Fast-forward to now. I put 4000 trouble free miles on the bike. Let it sit three weeks over Christmas, outside, but on a covered porch. Lots of temp fluctuation. When I got back I rode a little, no problems. Yesterday I did my weekend commute on it, which I have done many times before. 20 miles of twisties+ dirt followed by 60 miles of 70mph highway. Bike was as normal. As I was coming in to town I accelerated really hard, then came to a sudden stop. The bike immediately started stumbling and behaving like crap. Eventually it died, and would not start. (My battery is also shit) I walked the last mile home, pushing. Today I cleaned the carb as per "BST 40 Bible" not messing with the Air Fuel screw, which is still under the brass plug. Both pilot and main jets seemed like they may have been clogged with water, but easily cleared when I blew through them. Fuel seemed to maybe have water? I was down to 3/4 a tank when the bike stopped working. SO. Flushed tank with alcohol. Got new gas. Have been through carb three times. It starts up, reluctantly, idles fine, revs fine, and will ride a short distance before acting up again. Usually upon deceleration. After that I have to go back in to the carb before it will start or do anything again.

So. Anything I am missing? Plugs seem alright. Fuel is undoubtedly getting to carb. Little filters in Petcock and carb intake are clean. Interior of carb is very clean. All I can think of is that there is still water someplace.

Insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

BEN
BenYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #73389
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYork View Post
...not messing with the Air Fuel screw, which is still under the brass plug...

So. Anything I am missing?
Yes, you can't proper clean the carb without removing the idle mixture screw. The idle circuit passages are very small and clog up easily. Any tiny bit of crud will get stuck in there if you don't get the screw out and make sure it's all clear.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #73390
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Newbie here

Not new to cycles or forums, but new to working on my DR650, and new to this forum. Not sure whether to post questions here or not. Here goes ... Why does my dr smoke blue exhaust when it's cold, then when it warms up, no smoke at all?

Obard screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 02:44 PM Reason: Auto correct kills me.
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #73391
BenYork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thanks!

OK. Idle mix screw is under brass plug? Will pull that out and clean. Thank you very much.

BEN
BenYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #73392
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
OK. Idle mix screw is under brass plug? Will pull that out and clean. Thank you very much.

BEN
Make sure the passage between the idle mixture screw, the pilot jet and into the carb throat is clear.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #73393
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obard View Post
Not new to cycles or forums, but new to working on my DR650, and new to this forum. Not sure whether to post questions here or not. Here goes ... Why does my dr smoke blue exhaust when it's cold, then when it warms up, no smoke at all?
Valve guide seals most likely. No big deal. You could do a valve job to fix it ... but is really of no consequence, won't affect over all performance and the amount of oil used is minimal.

Quote:

BEN
I would pull the Carb off, then pull off the float bowl. Inspect the Pilot jet,
and pull float out and clean under float needle (little rubber tip) Blow out with compressed air, carefully reassemble.

Filters: You have a little filter in the metal fuel inlet tube. It's a tiny white
filter. Pry it out ... check it for crud.

Pull petcock out of fuel tank and clean intake filter stem.

From here you should install an extended Idle mix fuel screw. Much easier to adjust. Keep reading here to learn all the ins and outs of tuning the simple DR650.
Best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #73394
Obard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Valve guide seals most likely. No big deal. You could do a valve job to fix it ... but is really of no consequence, won't affect over all performance and the amount of oil used is minimal.
Thanks, that is some peace of mind. I just did a valve adjustment on it, but am uncertain about my competency in this department. Lack of quality tools, and experience being the biggest factor. How do I know if I did it right or wrong? It rattles and clanks quite a bit up there. Btw, it did the blue smoke thing before I adjusted the valves, so I don't think I made it worse.

Obard screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 03:21 PM Reason: auto correct again
Obard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #73395
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Ok.... so I'm lowering my DR today, did the rear no problem, going to raise the forks in the triple clamp... get everything all loosened up (top and bottom clamp) and they won't budge? Are there any tips and tricks or maybe something I missed?
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote