ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: southcentral PA.
Oddometer: 1,904
Accidents happen,theres no reason to ruin this girls life anymore than it already is. She was not under the influence or driving crazily. She fucked up ,period. I doubt there's anyone here who hasn't ever accidently veered or wandered into the other lane and luckily nothing happened.If this was your son or daughter facing jailtime how would you feel.People die in accidents everyday and its always a tragedy but its not always a premeditated act.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pilot View Post
All of the blame rests on the person who caused the accident. Seat belts are not at issue here, any more than victims of any other crime are to blame for their deaths/injuries. Dangerous driving is the cause, and innocent people are dead due to a young woman's cellphone conversation being more important to her, than the lives of the human beings whom she killed.
Accident fault = girl driving like idiot.

Severe injuries and death fault = girl driving like idiot + father not taking basic safety precautions.

Same theory as ATGATT.
__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,509
Hopefully others will come to realize just how fragile their future is. Your life can change in the blink of an eye. For no good reason.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
Duck_Pilot
Retired Roadracer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Denver 'Burbs, Colorado, USA.
Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Accident fault = girl driving like idiot.

Severe injuries and death fault = girl driving like idiot + father not taking basic safety precautions.

Same theory as ATGATT.
While I fully understand your point, I feel no desire to have accident VICTIMS share any portion of the blame. Should the young woman be crucified, or drawn-and-quartered as punishment? I don't believe so. Yet two people are dead, and another is crippled due to the accident that SHE ALONE caused.

Would those into passing portions of blame feel any differently had she run over three pedestrians? Or bicyclists? Or motorcyclists? I see no difference. Please give this some thought, and remember that ATGATT is no guarantee against either injuries or death - and if YOU are ever made a victim of such dangerous driving, you are helping her attorney's arguments to avoid taking responsibility.
__________________
" A man that can have patience, can have what he will." - Benjamin Franklin

"Man cannot imagine how life could be more difficult or complex. But Congress can." - Cullen Hightower

Honestly, I *do* like Socialists. They just need a little tartar sauce.
Duck_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Duck_Pilot
Retired Roadracer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Denver 'Burbs, Colorado, USA.
Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Hopefully others will come to realize just how fragile their future is. Your life can change in the blink of an eye. For no good reason.
+1 !

I have long since come to the conclusion that the only reason I'm still alive, is that God assigned a very talented group of Guardian Angels at birth, to watch over me 24/7. And that it simply has not yet been my time to go.
__________________
" A man that can have patience, can have what he will." - Benjamin Franklin

"Man cannot imagine how life could be more difficult or complex. But Congress can." - Cullen Hightower

Honestly, I *do* like Socialists. They just need a little tartar sauce.
Duck_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pilot View Post
While I fully understand your point, I feel no desire to have accident VICTIMS share any portion of the blame. Should the young woman be crucified, or drawn-and-quartered as punishment? I don't believe so. Yet two people are dead, and another is crippled due to the accident that SHE ALONE caused.

Would those into passing portions of blame feel any differently had she run over three pedestrians? Or bicyclists? Or motorcyclists? I see no difference. Please give this some thought, and remember that ATGATT is no guarantee against either injuries or death - and if YOU are ever made a victim of such dangerous driving, you are helping her attorney's arguments to avoid taking responsibility.
To clarify. I'm not saying the father being an idiot should mitigate her punishment in any way. An "accident" is crossing into a lane from a blown tire or sliding on black ice. Taking your eyes off the road to grab a fvcking cell phone is plain negligent. I'm all for draw and quarter.

If the father had survived though.. I would _also_ be fully supportive of removing his right to ever operate a motor vehicle again. There is zero excuse for not taking proper basic driving protections with young children.
__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
Duck_Pilot
Retired Roadracer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Denver 'Burbs, Colorado, USA.
Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
To clarify. I'm not saying the father being an idiot should mitigate her punishment in any way. An "accident" is crossing into a lane from a blown tire or sliding on black ice. Taking your eyes off the road to grab a fvcking cell phone is plain negligent. I'm all for draw and quarter.

If the father had survived though.. I would _also_ be fully supportive of removing his right to ever operate a motor vehicle again. There is zero excuse for not taking proper basic driving protections with young children.
Point well made, understood, and agreed-with. Thanks, Friend!
__________________
" A man that can have patience, can have what he will." - Benjamin Franklin

"Man cannot imagine how life could be more difficult or complex. But Congress can." - Cullen Hightower

Honestly, I *do* like Socialists. They just need a little tartar sauce.
Duck_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
pfb
Riding, not skiing.
 
pfb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Boulder|Denver|Winter Park
Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Ocatvio De La Torres-Reyes, 37...
his daughter, Leslie DeLaTorre, 14...
De La Torres-Reyes' son, 6.

None of the three people in the pickup truck were wearing a seat belt.
I put as much or more blame on the father for the death/injury to his children as the nitwit SUV driver. Not only was he irresponsible as a parent, he was in violation of Colorado law.

I don't know the exact details of the accident, but there is an excellent chance if the daughter was wearing a seat belt and the son was in a safety/booster seat with a seat belt (as required by Colorado law), the kids would have not only survived but avoided severe injury.

The SUV driver alone might have caused the accident, but traffic accidents are a predictable event. Driving kids around in a pickup truck with no seat belts is (IMHO) definitely as reckless as reaching for a cell phone while driving.
__________________
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
950 Adventure 950 Super Enduro 450 XC-W Six Days

pfb screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 04:26 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
25 yr old.. Lexus SUV? Sounds like daddy has some spare change.
There are literally hundreds of Lexus vehicles under $20k for sale on the Denver Craigslist. Anyone with credit, as opposed to money, can get one. It is possible she might have some money, but in my experience as an attorney, almost every 25 year old is judgment proof. Even the ones with nicer cars than a Lexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
I just mentioned the civil suit because the punishment isn't necessarily over for the driver at fault.

I didn't say "justice will be served"...if you knew me you'd know I'd rarely say something like that. Who cares whether she is poor or loaded, nothing's even going to bring the daughter and father back to life and give the son a regular boy's body back.
Of course justice won't be served. It can't. Two people are dead and one is disabled, possibly for life. You missed the point, though, which responded to yours. It is unlikely there will be a "hefty" civil action, to use your words, because only a tiny fraction of people have enough insurance or assets for such a suit to occur. That is because the value of the loss is so great that her insurance company, if she has one, will pony up the value of the policy, even if it's a half million dollars (which amount of coverage is exceedingly unlikely for a 25 year old). That amount is a fraction of what it will cost to care for a young child who is injured as severely as it sounds like this kid was injured. The remainder will be added to the debt that is in "your future." "Who cares if she is poor or loaded?" Mostly the kid and his family, who will struggle all his life to make ends meet as a result of his care needs, especially with the father's income now gone. Most folks in society won't think to care, but make no mistake, they will pay in real tax money for the financial losses caused by the girl's mistake.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Background checks. That'll fix it.

Or a ban on military "style" cell phones.

Or limit cell phones to have no more than 10 minute battery capacity.
Or a ban on all but rotary phones, and then only to call your mother, and only if your number is listed in the "the book."

After all, Alexander Graham Bell never intended people to be able to walk around, willy nilly, with the kind of phones that are available today.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #26
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post

Of course justice won't be served. It can't. Two people are dead and one is disabled, possibly for life. You missed the point, though, which responded to yours. It is unlikely there will be a "hefty" civil action, to use your words, because only a tiny fraction of people have enough insurance or assets for such a suit to occur. That is because the value of the loss is so great that her insurance company, if she has one, will pony up the value of the policy, even if it's a half million dollars (which amount of coverage is exceedingly unlikely for a 25 year old). That amount is a fraction of what it will cost to care for a young child who is injured as severely as it sounds like this kid was injured. The remainder will be added to the debt that is in "your future." "Who cares if she is poor or loaded?" Mostly the kid and his family, who will struggle all his life to make ends meet as a result of his care needs, especially with the father's income now gone. Most folks in society won't think to care, but make no mistake, they will pay in real tax money for the financial losses caused by the girl's mistake.
Thank you for your educational efforts but like many in the business of peddling education, your efforts are misguided. I have not missed anything; As I stated and as was my original point, she isn't off the hook after going through the criminal justice process or whatever you'd like to call it. And I didn't say a "hefty" civil suit settlement would be even a fraction of what medical care charges the boy will incur and any real reparation for the boy and his mother who lost two family members and had their family torn apart.

I'd say any settlement with 5 figures would be "hefty". See that is just my opinion. I used a vague word and you hopped on that. Apparently your definition of "hefty" is different than mine and you're willing to split hairs over that. Would 25k pay for some medical bills? I'd think so. Would it be but a fraction? I'm sure, maybe even only 1/10th of a percent of the lifetime medical bills the boy will face...But it's still moving in the direction of serving justice, my only point. There's still room for more justice to be served, though as I implied and then you stated explicitly like it wasn't already obvious, just will never truly be served. There is also the possibility that she is under a parent's insurance or was even driving their car. In this economy, it's happening a lot.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
Thank you for your educational efforts but like many in the business of peddling education, your efforts are misguided. I have not missed anything; As I stated and as was my original point, she isn't off the hook after going through the criminal justice process or whatever you'd like to call it.

That would almost be clever if not for the fact that you started the conversation by peddling your "education" about a hefty lawsuit.

My efforts were misguided only because I assumed you posted on a forum to have a conversation, specifically one about what was going to happen to this girl. That future being a "hefty" lawsuit, as you put it. But it turns out you know everything about the topics on which you speak. . The rest of your post proves that fact. It's not like I do this stuff for a living or anything. Besides, what do I know about the law, anyway? I thought OJ was guilty.

selaznog screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 06:16 PM
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Your regression...speaks volumes

I was peddling education by simply stating that there is the possibility that she could end up being forced to pay 5, maybe 6 figures (not all that unlikely) in a civil suit!?

Your lawyer ego is too easily threatened. Go ride your bike and feel better about yourself for a few minutes.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #29
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,525
The idea that I would be threatened by you on a legal issue is downright funny. There is something that seems to have escaped you in your short time on adv. See, if you talk around here on subjects about which you have no clue, you're going to get corrected. Doesn't matter if it's about law or carburetors or plumbing. It's not because people want to correct other, but because around here there are people knowledgeable about almost everything. Many of us prefer not to see misinformation spread. Most folks in your position will simply be glad to learn something new. Those with skin as thin as yours will act the way you are acting.

I was just trying to have a conversation about a subject you brought up. Forgive me, but I think I know quite a bit about what future consequences that girl faces, and contrary to your belief, the answer is probably nothing.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
I was wondering why I was laughing, thanks for clearing that up...and for continuing to roost. Rest assured that if I was a wild animal I'd be retreating by now.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014