Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #646
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Oh, thanks. I saw from the long vid that the guy was a very choppy rider. I kept thinking he was riding outside himself. He'd be well served to slow way down and concentrate on being perfectly smooth. When he gets that, then speed up if he wishes to.
I suspect if he smoothed things out, he'd suddenly find he was riding faster...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #647
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I suspect if he smoothed things out, he'd suddenly find he was riding faster...
He probably would also do better on something like a Ninja 250 rather than the ZX10R he was trying to contend with. I feel 99% sure that he'd be enjoying himself more on the Jr. Ninja as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #648
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
He probably would also do better on something like a Ninja 250 rather than the ZX10R he was trying to contend with. I feel 99% sure that he'd be enjoying himself more on the Jr. Ninja as well.
Nah, that's a girl's bike, man.

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #649
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Nah, that's a girl's bike, man.
I'm trying to talk an (australian) (former) coworker out of the S1000RRRRR as a first bike.

(headdesk)
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #650
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
S1000RR has to be one of the easiest big bikes out there, ok its got huge amounts of power, but it has EVERYTHING to help you NOT crash it, unless ofcourse you switch it to race mode. But it has ABS, traction control, wheelie control, the works.

Tepi screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 03:57 PM
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #651
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
S1000RR has to be one of the easiest big bikes out there, ok its got huge amounts of power, but it has EVERYTHING to help you NOT crash it, unless ofcourse you switch it to race mode. But it has ABS, traction control, wheelie control, the works.
I don't care if the thing has training wheels, that is nucking futs!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #652
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 729
I test rode one; it's a fucking doddle.

While not your classic beginner bike, it's easier to ride than the Interceptor I rode as my first bike.

Tedder, if your friend's not a total DingDong, he could go easy on it for the first little while, then slowly ramp things up.

Kinda an expensive way to go if he dumps it, but not necessarily crazy either.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #653
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
The fellow in the video clamped on the front brake hard entering the corner which caused him to go down. So you are saying he'd have been OK doing that on the S1000RR? If not, then you are just being a dope saying it has any business being ridden by a newbie.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #654
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
You have a very incorrect definition of what "lane splitting", as allowed in CA, is.

Short version: You have to be BETWEEN lanes going the SAME direction.
Nope, you are wrong about that. I have only the vaguest notion of what lane splitting is. I don't know enough about it to define it. It really was more of a question.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #655
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,032
Quote:

Great. That will teach awesome riding skills. They can hop on, use terrible throttle control, terrible brake control and terrible clutch control, and the bike fixes everything for them! What could possibly go wrong?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #656
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
The fellow in the video clamped on the front brake hard entering the corner which caused him to go down. So you are saying he'd have been OK doing that on the S1000RR? If not, then you are just being a dope saying it has any business being ridden by a newbie.
With the ABS Brakes on the S1000RR he very likely would have been "OK"

Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #657
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

Great. That will teach awesome riding skills. They can hop on, use terrible throttle control, terrible brake control and terrible clutch control, and the bike fixes everything for them! What could possibly go wrong?
At some point the new rider is going to think "I've go mad skillz!" and switch to Race mode. That will be VERY a brief but VERY exciting ride for our newbie...
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #658
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
On that note, I met a guy the other day at the Ducati dealer.
He was coming off a CBR250 and test rode the Panigale.

I mentioned that it's a bike that im a bit scared to ride (because I know how fast all my bikes can go) but didn't get that far. He explained to me that he has learned that being smooth on the throttle is the most important thing. Apparently he was a newish rider but told me the Panigale seemed like a very safe bike.

While I don't doubt that it can protect the rider from some dumb mistakes, it can't protect the rider from being a dumbass or making newbie mistakes. I still want one, but I'll never own one. I don't have enough maturity to suject myself to that kind of risk.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #659
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
It is still very easy to launch it into the weeds. Trust me it is not crash proof. It has ridiculous acceleration and can get you into a great deal of trouble very quickly and the electronics will not save you.

I do agree that it does take away (if properly set up) the probabilities of some bad things happening (like looping the bike through an unintended wheelie) and ABS is terrific, for a new rider to feel that the electronics on this bike is going to save them from dumb mistakes is bad. Very bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

It doesn't solve the biggest concern I have for new riders of going in to a corner too hot. The ABS may help but it won't save you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
With the ABS Brakes on the S1000RR he very likely would have been "OK"

The acceleration on this bike is not made "safe" by the electronics. It is easy to change line, such as moving to pass, grabbing a handful of throttle and lofting the front (wheelie control doesn't eliminate wheel lift) then finding you aren't pointed where you thought you were when the front comes back down. Then you get to see how your skills are. Not to mention how good your Depends are.

Anyone suggesting this bike to a new rider is doing them a diservice. Sure, they may well survive. But so do 8 year olds with handguns. Doesn't mean its a good idea.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #660
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin44 View Post
It is still very easy to launch it into the weeds. Trust me it is not crash proof. It has ridiculous acceleration and can get you into a great deal of trouble very quickly and the electronics will not save you.

I do agree that it does take away (if properly set up) the probabilities of some bad things happening (like looping the bike through an unintended wheelie) and ABS is terrific, for a new rider to feel that the electronics on this bike is going to save them from dumb mistakes is bad. Very bad.

It doesn't solve the biggest concern I have for new riders of going in to a corner too hot. The ABS may help but it won't save you.

The acceleration on this bike is not made "safe" by the electronics. It is easy to change line, such as moving to pass, grabbing a handful of throttle and lofting the front (wheelie control doesn't eliminate wheel lift) then finding you aren't pointed where you thought you were when the front comes back down. Then you get to see how your skills are. Not to mention how good your Depends are.

Anyone suggesting this bike to a new rider is doing them a diservice. Sure, they may well survive. But so do 8 year olds with handguns. Doesn't mean its a good idea.

TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^

Lot of people think some electronics make a bike idiot proof. Not the case, not even close.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote