Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #151
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I shopped these helmets yesterday but have reserved my decision pending additional "research." My impressions will naturally vary according to the individual, but for what it's worth:

Both are excellent quality, but I felt like the Schuberth was detailed marginally better. I have a pretty round head, and fit well in a Quantum 2, which is my standard at the moment. I am an XL in most helmets.

The Schuberth fit well at the cheeks but was a bit loose at the crown of my head. Not a lot, just enough to cause the helmet to ride down a bit if I jiggled my noggin. The chin bar felt like it would be too close as I lowered it, but once ensconced in the helmet it was just enough out of the way to work well. The sense of quiet isolation was superb. I couldn't really tell if the Schuberth pressure points would trouble me on a long ride, but in the store, apart from the slight looseness at the top of my head, it felt like it would be OK. I do not like the ratcheting chin strap, but I could get used to it; probably a result of familiarity after a lifetime of using D rings.

The Shoei fit a bit snugger for me all around without feeling uncomfortable. The Shoei is very well made, but the Schuberth's interior detailing seemed a bit plusher/nicer, more refined. It's fits at the chin bar (external) seem a little more precise (closer), though neither helmet rattled or felt insecure that way. I expect at speed the Shoei might whistle/make wind noise a bit more due to that though I have no way to compare in a static situation. The Shoei did provided much better noise isolation than my Arai in the store, but was not quite to the standards of the C3. It would still be a major improvement over my Quantum, I think. I felt that the "controls...visor action and locks were excellent on both, but somewhat preferred the Schuberth's incredible sense of quality. Both of these lids would take some getting used to; there's a lot going on with them once you add the visors and chin bar locks.

I liked the way the Schuberth looked a bit better without the space ranger spoiler detail of the Shoei, but that's not a deal breaker either way, and exterior finish on both is excellent. no ripples, perfect paint. I didn't notice a difference in weight between the two; again probably something it would take a ride to sort out.

In the end, I'll probably get a Shoei because proper fit is key, but if the Schuberth could be made to work without sliding forward on my head, I'd say it was just marginally superior. The slightly lower price of the Shoei is a minor incentive, and both helmets are pretty deluxe affairs. I could be happy with either as regards quality and design.
Pampero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #152
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,970
There is a new Schuberth C3 Pro coming out with a new spoiler, redesigned inner liner for a better fit, better aerodynamics and is quieter. Those in the market might want to check it out.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...uberth-c3-pro/
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #153
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
There is a new Schuberth C3 Pro coming out with a new spoiler, redesigned inner liner for a better fit, better aerodynamics and is quieter. Those in the market might want to check it out.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...uberth-c3-pro/
Yep, this has been available for a while now. Seems to have a new liner to address the Mark of Schuberth pain inflicting liner of the original for some folks head designs. About $150 more than the orig too. I have only seem it in Europe websites so far.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #154
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Yep, this has been available for a while now. Seems to have a new liner to address the Mark of Schuberth pain inflicting liner of the original for some folks head designs. About $150 more than the orig too. I have only seem it in Europe websites so far.
I'm glad they make it fit better and that it's improved but if you add the $150 I'd be moved in another direction. It's shown on Revzilla's site at $769. There is a point at which I bow out on what is essentially a consumable. Curiously, the spoiler that I objected to (by reason of looks alone) is now definitely a feature. It seems to be less expensive in Europe from what I can tell.

I wrote to Schuberth today about the possible availability of different liners and pads for the C3 but was told they are not yet available. That would make sense to me, but the C3 Pro at a more elevated price, doesn't. I'm not sure I like it almost $200 better than the Shoei. Better, yes, but that's a bill too far for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #155
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Thanks for that tip. Just found in at fc-moto.de. At $671 they beat Revzilla's price by nearly $110, and that's including shipping.

For folks who might not know, to get the true price at fc-moto you need to register so they can see you have a non-EU address and remove the VAT from the item once in your cart.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #156
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
I think one reason they are a bit cheaper in Europe is they are not DOT approved when bought from European sources as if that really matters,
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #157
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I think one reason they are a bit cheaper in Europe is they are not DOT approved when bought from European sources as if that really matters,
Makes sense. A lot of money for a sticker.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #158
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
neotec noise

I have NeoTec I have had for 4 months now. Excellent helmet but the noise is unbelievable for a helmet costing that much.
I absolutely cannot ride above 40 miles per hour with some good ear plugs. I would certaining not purchase another one.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #159
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post

Doubt that's the only or even major reason. perhaps there are other factors involved... such as legal/biding agreements on price setting by manufacture here in the US. meaning that all prices when sold by those legally registered as resellers are the same as set by the "manufacturers suggested list price".

ie: one retail seller can not sell the helmets at a lower profit margin than a competitor.

this might not be the case in Europe.

schuberth in turn is going to support their US retailers by not honoring any warranties on those bought from outside US retail sources.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #160
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarman View Post
I have NeoTec I have had for 4 months now. Excellent helmet but the noise is unbelievable for a helmet costing that much.
I absolutely cannot ride above 40 miles per hour with some good ear plugs. I would certaining not purchase another one.

that is... what? seriously?

I don't own or use a Neotec but there MUST be something significantly wrong with that particular helmet.

edit: looking at this a day later I believe the real issue was a faux pa. guessing sonarman might've meant "I absolutely cannot ride above 40 miles per hour without some good ear plugs." which makes some sense, having never experienced a helmet in which I wouldn't wear some form of additional hearing protection for an extended ride at speed. perhaps someday I will experience such a helmet... (and I will buy it)

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 12:07 PM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #161
twinrider
pass the catnip

When open the top vent can make the helmet quite noisy at speed.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #162
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
I've been riding with my Neotec for about 4 months now, and really like it. It seems to be quieter than my old Nolan. It took a little while to get used to the flip latch.

I took the Pinlock out at the beginning of the season, but the face shield stays clear in rain, even with the breathguard in.

I pinch the breathguard with my thumb when I close the helmet, so it doesn't jam against my chin.

The ventilation system is good, and easy to use. I particularly like the ratcheting face shield and often ride with it open a notch or two.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #163
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
I'm in the market ... it's down to 3 contenders for me. The Schuberth C3, Neotec and Lazer Monaco.
Never actually tried on any of the above; nor do I know what type of head I have (big, I suppose).

I may hold out till the Long Beach MC show.... looking for a deal!
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #164
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
I'm in the market ... it's down to 3 contenders for me. The Schuberth C3, Neotec and Lazer Monaco.
Never actually tried on any of the above; nor do I know what type of head I have (big, I suppose).

I may hold out till the Long Beach MC show.... looking for a deal!
If you can try on all three at the show, within a short time frame, that would be the ideal way to help you decide. I tried on the Schuberth and Neotec at the same store, and there was a marked difference in fit between them.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #165
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
When I was helmet shopping I found that I could easily put on and remove the Schuberth with my glasses on. Not so with the Neotech.
grelcar is offline   Reply With Quote